Travel and Parking

blunther

Hello all,

I've always got the train to Wembley in the past, and usually stayed overnight too. For various reasons I need to drive down this time. I remember I went in a minibus as a kid in 1994 and parked near the ground and it took hours to even start moving. I'm assuming this hasn't improved much, so looking for tips on better places to park. I don't mind a bit of a walk, and would much rather walk 45-60 minutes after the game and get straight out than walk ten minutes and sit in traffic all evening. 

I'll be heading down the M40/A40 so looking at maps somewhere like Perivale looks about right to be in walking distance yet hopefully be able to jump back on the main road, but I'd never even heard of Perivale before looking at a map. Since we seem to go to Wembley every year now I'm hoping someone here has some good tips! Thanks!

Don't use the official car parking. Done that  a few times on coaches and it has taken between an hour and hour and a half to get out. They have no idea how to manage the traffic and this will one of the worse ones with both teams not being London and going north after  the game. Avoid, avoid.

1 hour ago, mattyvilla said:

We are parking in the stanmore area , paying to park on a private drive then tube to the game and back , no way we would go on train again , last year was awful even at 8am

Was planning the same, park at Stanmore station for £20 then tubes. Alas they've changed criteria so I wont be going now

There are various possibilities but one thing to factor in is the fact that we could be talking a late Sunday finish and getting back to stations in central London in time for fewer trains could be tiresome. In the past I have driven to Gerrards Cross (big car park) and picked up a Chiltern train to Wembley Central but they are less frequent on a Sunday (I assume they will run extra services ?) and a pain to queue up for after the game. Whilst the tube is a good idea, another possibility is driving to Watford and parking at Watford Junction station, or nearby if it is full (unlikely on a Sunday ?), and then getting a local train (25min) to North Wembley, a further walk from Wembley stadium but not too far and a lot quieter.

We’ve got parking about 10minute walk from the stadium we did it for the playoff final, we went for food at tgi’s opposite the ground we left around 8 was home by 10

Edited by rbcuk

I just drive the bloody things, I'm not sure about ticket costs to be honest.   I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a train every 15 minutes or so from Moor Street on the morning of the game and everything Chiltern run will call at Wembley Stadium station before and after the match.   My only bit of advice really is that if you are heading straight back to the Midlands then it's probably a better idea to travel to Marylebone after the final whistle and jump on a Birmingham train there.  The queues for trains back to Brum are hideous. It's it's only a ten minute trip to Marylebone and the queues are generally pretty short so you can head to the point where the train starts it's journey and have a 100% chance of getting a seat. It might even be quicker too. 

• Thanks 1

On 04/02/2020 at 18:31, spineynorman said:

There are various possibilities but one thing to factor in is the fact that we could be talking a late Sunday finish and getting back to stations in central London in time for fewer trains could be tiresome. In the past I have driven to Gerrards Cross (big car park) and picked up a Chiltern train to Wembley Central but they are less frequent on a Sunday (I assume they will run extra services ?) and a pain to queue up for after the game. Whilst the tube is a good idea, another possibility is driving to Watford and parking at Watford Junction station, or nearby if it is full (unlikely on a Sunday ?), and then getting a local train (25min) to North Wembley, a further walk from Wembley stadium but not too far and a lot quieter.

Check Beaconsfield too.  The car park there is enormous and there's really easy motprway access from the M40, M4 and M25.  It tends to get a bit of a better service than Gerrards Cross on event days too.  

Other ideas, and you'll have to look into these yourself as I'm just basing them on the experience of spending more time in Wembley than most people who use this forum, would be to look at the Jubilee Line.  Everyone heads to Stanmore as it's only ten minutes or so from Wembley Park station and has a good service but you've got Canons Park tube which has a decent sized car park and (probably) won't have as many Brummies taking the spaces and Barnet FC play just around the corner from there so they might open up their car park.   

Edit: 

I had suggested the Metropolitan Line from Hillingdon which is a handy park and ride from the M40/A40 to Wembley Park but it seems engineering works that weekend means that's not an option. 

Edited by The_Rev

On 04/02/2020 at 17:00, The Fun Factory said:

Don't use the official car parking. Done that  a few times on coaches and it has taken between an hour and hour and a half to get out. They have no idea how to manage the traffic and this will one of the worse ones with both teams not being London and going north after  the game. Avoid, avoid.

Just to give another view, I always park in Stadium Car Parks, arrive early, leave late. I tend to get a bite to eat, have a doze, then set off an hour and a half or so after the game ends. Easy and convenient, although expensive at £30...though I used to say “ it’s only once in a blue moon” ...not anymore it’s not lol.

37 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Just to give another view, I always park in Stadium Car Parks, arrive early, leave late. I tend to get a bite to eat, have a doze, then set off an hour and a half or so after the game ends. Easy and convenient, although expensive at £30...though I used to say “ it’s only once in a blue moon” ...not anymore it’s not lol.

We’ve got parking off just park, more than half the price of the stadium car parking, we get there around 12 leave around 8 

On 04/02/2020 at 09:32, blunther said:

Hello all,

I've always got the train to Wembley in the past, and usually stayed overnight too. For various reasons I need to drive down this time. I remember I went in a minibus as a kid in 1994 and parked near the ground and it took hours to even start moving. I'm assuming this hasn't improved much, so looking for tips on better places to park. I don't mind a bit of a walk, and would much rather walk 45-60 minutes after the game and get straight out than walk ten minutes and sit in traffic all evening. 

I'll be heading down the M40/A40 so looking at maps somewhere like Perivale looks about right to be in walking distance yet hopefully be able to jump back on the main road, but I'd never even heard of Perivale before looking at a map. Since we seem to go to Wembley every year now I'm hoping someone here has some good tips! Thanks!

I live nearby, try Hanger Lane. Right at the end of the A40. There’s a bus from there to Wembley every 10-15 minutes. Will take about 30-45 minutes via Bus and a short walk (that’s what it took me for the Playoff final with the increased traffic). Can probably get an Uber for less than a tenner and do it quicker though.

normally some free off street parking near by too. Bus goes through Alperton so closer you can get to Alperton the better.

• Like 1

I love it when Villa invade the capital when we play at Wembley or get a big allocation in the cup or whatever for a London club. It seems like there are Villa in every pub in every area of London, waiting at every bus/tube/train stop...

• Like 2

On 04/02/2020 at 09:32, blunther said:

Hello all,

Yep, my advice is to drive to Stanmore or Uxbridge/Hillingdon and get the tube in.  All are near the motorway and a quick tube journey direct to Wembley. 

You will queue for the tube back out but not as long as you'll sit in traffic at Wembley and then threading through London. 

Stanmore and Hillingdon car parks will fill up early though.  Uxbridge has loads of town centre car parks including a large multi story for a shopping centre right next to the tube station.  Entrance to that car park is on Chippendale Waye. It also serves a cinema so I think its open till late at night. 

We used it a couple of years ago and it was dead easy. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

The Uxbridge branch of the Metropolitan Line is closed that weekend so there's no trains from Uxbridge or Hillingdon to Wembley.  

They've also built a massive new car park right by the stadium. I've not seen it used yet but it's looked finished for weeks so it might be getting its debut for the cup final. Pink Car Park if you want to Google it. It's got a massive picture of Freddy Mercury at Live Aid on one side too so it's pretty cool.  

Prebooked Stanmore for £20 with NCP. Printed off parking voucher. Presumably they will reserve places for those who have prepaid. Normally come in from Ickenham on Metropolitan. Can’t believe some genius decided to close the line after Harrow.

Â