Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

There is a lot of arguments over that. It's only the last 30 odd years that all the players have been bothered to actually played in the AO. Borg couldn't be arsed at all.

Plus the whole professional era, and the the fact that Lever in his peak didn't play in the slams and still managed the grand slam twice.

Plus Novax is a utter word removed.

Borg never won the US Open either so that kind of rules him out of the debate. yes I agree Laver should be in the debate same as Margaret Court in the womens. 

52 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Nadal when fit in the French. Djokovic when fit or allowed to play dominates the Australian open and Wimbledon. The US Open is a free for all except Djokovic is not allowed to play in that. I think its remarkable that at 35 years of age Djokovic is still the man to beat. I dont think anybody can beat Djokovic unless they play their best match ever and then some. He knows his time is running out and hes on  a mission to win more slams than anybody else and then their can be no argument over who's the GOAT

Djokovic will win the most slams of all time and prob gets to 25 when all said and done. I wouldn’t let my opinion of him as a person dilute how i rate him as a player. Obviously world class but I’ll always think Federer was the greatest. Appreciation of Djokovic’s subtleties which are his unwavering mental strength and his ability to get almost every ball back doesn’t give me the same sense of joy watching prime federer with that forehand and backhand. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

Djokovic will win the most slams of all time and prob gets to 25 when all said and done. I wouldn’t let my opinion of him as a person dilute how i rate him as a player. Obviously world class but I’ll always think Federer was the greatest. Appreciation of Djokovic’s subtleties which are his unwavering mental strength and his ability to get almost every ball back doesn’t give me the same sense of joy watching prime federer with that forehand and backhand. 

To be honest after the 2011 season when Djokovic won 3 of the slams. He then went on to win the australian in an epic final with Nadal, then he lost at RG to Nadal I think and then Federer beat him in the semi at wimbledon and then he lost in the US open final to Murray. He then went on to beat Murray in the final in Australia, then lost to Nadal at RG when he should have won then beaten in straight sets by Murray in the Wimbledon final then lost the final of the US open to Nadal in 5 sets. He was on 5 slams at the age of 26. I did not think he's be anywhere near 21 slams now. 

Edited by PaulC

38 minutes ago, PaulC said:

To be honest after the 2011 season when Djokovic won 3 of the slams. He then went on to win the australian in an epic final with Nadal, then he lost at RG to Nadal I think and then Federer beat him in the semi at wimbledon and then he lost in the US open final to Murray. He then went on to beat Murray in the final in Australia, then lost to Nadal at RG when he should have won then beaten in straight sets by Murray in the Wimbledon final then lost the final of the US open to Nadal in 5 sets. He was on 5 slams at the age of 26. I did not think he's be anywhere near 21 slams now. 

Murray must be having nightmares about Djokovic to this day. Imagine losing 4 Australian open finals to the same guy. I mean one of the greatest - but still. Gotta annoy him that he couldn’t nail down one of those 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Murray must be having nightmares about Djokovic to this day. Imagine losing 4 Australian open finals to the same guy. I mean one of the greatest - but still. Gotta annoy him that he couldn’t nail down one of those 

Yes it was a great rivalry around 2012/13 period 

9 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Tsitsipas will have the vast majority of the support of the crowd in the final, but that will probably just fire Novax up.

Serbian crowd been particular wankish today. Making lotta noise between Paul first and second serve. Agreed - huge Greek/Cypriot population in Melbourne 

Real good women's final this morning.

Good to see two likable players in the final too, although Rybakina always unnerves me somewhat as she looks exactly like the lass I went to year 11 prom with way back when.

Would love to see Novak get knocked off his perch tomorrow. Quite excited for this season though as we're in the sweet spot where the big guns (well, Novak and Rafa - if he can keep it together physically - these days) are still excellent, while the next generation (Alcaraz, Ruud, Tsitsipas, Sinner, Tiafoe, etc) are approaching/at a standard where they can realistically defeat them, and each other. As for the women's game, there's literally about 20 players who could win each event. Exciting times!

Routine win for Novax apart when he lost concentration at the start of the third when he had a bathroom break.  Surely 10 is enough, can't he allow someone else to win it .Tsitsipas is good  but nowhere near good enough to beat even a 35 year old Djokovic with a dodgy hamstring. Needs to improve his backhand and be more aggressive if his is to win a slam. The crowd were a total word removed with loads of calling for both players when serving. The women's game is actually more interesting at the moment imo. I thought Mededev would be bossing it by now but seems to have gone backwards. Theim ran himself into the ground to win the US. Alcarez could be the one post big 4/2 era.

Great humbling speech from Tsitsipas afterwards. For me its not a question of whether Tstsipas is good enough to beat Djokovic. He had two tie breaks and lost both. Same in that wimbledon final Federer. Djokovic is mentally tougher when it matters. Thats something you cant teach.  The French open will be interesting if Nadal is fit. Womens tennis is interesting but theres no great players around. 

Â