Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

5 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Her opponent was spitting because of the injury pause, she'll be kicking the shit out of something round about now - her entourage often looked like they expected her to win - have it!

Her sister was one of those people who look like they've swallowed a lemon. Totally sour faced whether she was doing well or badly.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

Well done Emma and such a likable person too. Even if she doesn't climb these heights again, she is a grand slam winner. 

Both players do look like future superstars though and really hope it means less domination from a single person because that is boring. 

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

Her sister was one of those people who look like they've swallowed a lemon. Totally sour faced whether she was doing well or badly.

Probably because her family are saying 'look what Leylah is doing with her life, what are you doing?' after she won a point. 

Edited by Jono62
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Shout out to Joe Salisbury. Won the mixed doubles and the men's doubles at the US Open. 

4 major titles to his name now

I think a Brit or Brits were also the first wheelchair tennis player(s) ever to do the Calendar Slam  (I heard on the radio last night)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, trekka said:

The prize money offered at the US Open is quite a thing:

Singles:
Winner: $2,500,000
Runner-Up: $1,250,000
Semifinalist: $675,000
Quarterfinalist: $425,000
Round of 16: $265,000
Round of 32: $180,000
Round of 64: $115,000
Round of 128: $75,000

US Open Website

Isn’t that similar to Wimbledon?

The injury interruption was a turning point, imo. Not ER's fault - the rule is that if there's any blood it has to be treated. But Fernandez should have sat down, stayed calm and kept her focus. Instead, she allowed herself to get wound up and distracted. When she was going her ends at the umpire, you could see ER watching her and failing to supress a little smile. She must have thought "I've got her rattled here". By far the more savvy of the two teenagers. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The injury interruption was a turning point, imo. Not ER's fault - the rule is that if there's any blood it has to be treated. But Fernandez should have sat down, stayed calm and kept her focus. Instead, she allowed herself to get wound up and distracted. When she was going her ends at the umpire, you could see ER watching her and failing to supress a little smile. She must have thought "I've got her rattled here". By far the more savvy of the two teenagers. 

I’m not sure it was a turning point per se, she was a set up and still very much in the game at the point she got injured, I accept for sure it turned the momentum at that precise moment as Fernandez looked like she was building up a head of steam and perhaps may have broken Raducanu but that still would have left it 5-4 and still technically in Raducanu’s control (albeit against serve to win set/match).

I’d like to think it’s not considered as pivotal to her success though definitely ended up playing a part in the overall match.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’m not sure it was a turning point per se, she was a set up and still very much in the game at the point she got injured, I accept for sure it turned the momentum at that precise moment as Fernandez looked like she was building up a head of steam and perhaps may have broken Raducanu but that still would have left it 5-4 and still technically in Raducanu’s control (albeit against serve to win set/match).

I’d like to think it’s not considered as pivotal to her success though definitely ended up playing a part in the overall match.

I thought it would probably upset Raducanu more. She was down and had to serve an absolutely crucial serve after a long delay.  That's some pressure, it was break point and I'm sure she didn't want a big delay before her serve. Could easily double fault or serve poorly with all that on you. 

Remarkable composure really. 

15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I thought it would probably upset Raducanu more. She was down and had to serve an absolutely crucial serve after a long delay.  That's some pressure, it was break point and I'm sure she didn't want a big delay before her serve. Could easily double fault or serve poorly with all that on you. 

Remarkable composure really. 

That was kind of my point. If Fernandez had just stayed cool, ER would probably have been the more affected by the interruption. But her little meltdown put her at a disadvantage. You could just tell from the way ER watched it. 

• Like 2

Â