Pre match thread

roonst83

Reina 

Konsa Mings Hause

Gulbert.                      Targett

Drinkwater Nakamba

Trez.         Grealish

Samatta

Trez offers us more hard work than Anwar, so I’d start him and then bring Anwar on against tired legs. I think Srinkwater gives us more control in the middle and brings out the best in Nakamba. Again Luiz to come on second half to have an impact. 

• Like 2

I am trying really hard to foresee anything other than a loss here and struggling massively. We need to pull some big results out from somewhere but the inadequacies of our last performance are really nagging at me. Regulation 0-2 victory for a team that we used to beat for fun in 90’s (not checked the stats but it always felt that way to me).

I'm clinging onto the fact that, as has already been mentioned on this thread, Spurs will be without Kane and Eriksen who were the difference makers in the game in August. Plus that day I remember Wesley was absolutely dreadful, so Samatta can't really do much worse. We certainly should have come away with something to show for from that game. It's well within our grasp if we play to the best of our ability to get 3 points, though I'd be happy with a point and not overly disappointed with a loss in any case.

Of all the bigger teams to get a scalp, surely Spurs is the best target at present? Just as long as they don't go down to 10 men we'll have a fighting chance.

On 13/02/2020 at 12:39, Elton said:

Hause stays in the team for me. When Engels was in the team (not obviously all down to him) we were conceding plenty of goals and allowing a lot of shots on goal. This seems to have improved with the back 3 and Hause winning nearly every aerial ball.

I think I’d rather be nervous when Hause makes the odd stray pass then when the ball comes into our box 20 times a game from crosses and corners without Hause and the opposition have a field day. 

I don’t know why you think we have improved in defence? We are still conceding shed loads of attempts at goal. We have conceded 76 shots on goal in the last 5 league games since switching to a back 3.

The number of suicidal passes by Hause negates the fact he is good in the air. It’s the only thing he is good at.

Engels is good in the air too, I’d pick him over Hause every day of the week

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, KHV said:

I don’t know why you think we have improved in defence? We are still conceding shed loads of attempts at goal. We have conceded 76 shots on goal in the last 5 league games since switching to a back 3.

The number of suicidal passes by Hause negates the fact he is good in the air. It’s the only thing he is good at.

Engels is good in the air too, I’d pick him over Hause every day of the week

It’s because we have improved in defence. Not a lot but a bit. The 2 games before we switched we allowed 36 shots on our goal against the current bottom 2 alone (Watford and Norwich)..

I can’t remember all the goals we conceded due to Hause’s ‘suicidal passes’ to be honest. I guess there must have been loads right? I do remember Hause getting his head on every high ball in our box though and being an absolute unit to get passed.

If you think that Engels is as good in the air as Hause then you aren’t paying attention.

• Like 2

Tough game to predict this one. Spurs can be very very good or have an off day, so let’s hope it’s the latter. The weather could also play a part in levelling things out somewhat. 

I do think we need a clean sheet or two, so hoping we stay compact and nick it 1-0. Also hoping the rest has done AEG some good, as he’s been off the boil for a good few weeks, but still prefer him starting to Trez. Alternatively, leave AEG out, play Luiz in a midfield three and push Grealish further forward?  Oh god knows what’s best, I give up.

Reina

Konsa      Mings     Hause

Guilbert                                     Targett

Nakamba   Drinkwater 

Grealish

AEG          Samatta      

Subs: Nyland, Engels, Elmo, Luiz, Hourihane, Trez, Baston

8 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

When did we play a league game last? I've forgotten already. Feeling optimistic for at least a point.

1 Feb, lost 2-1 away to Bournemouth, Mbwana Samatta scored a fine opportunist’s goal, a brave header on his debut

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

When did we play a league game last? I've forgotten already. Feeling optimistic for at least a point.

I think it was a few years ago, Bournemouth, or Burnley, or Barnsley, can’t remember now. 

I’m confident of at least a point too, but who knows what’ll happen. 

• Haha 2

I think we were unlucky to lose the away game. It was only when Jota came on we stopped playing.

It's time Smith gave us a big scalp.  they are not hot spurs away from home ....2 wins in 18 on paper it's a weaker spurs team than the one we played in august. no kane erickson etc.

• Like 2

We played well at their place until we tired Second Half. They didn’t score until around 85th minute.

Theres evidence now we finish games stronger. Our players are more accustomed to the League. We may have a goal scorer. Three at the back is, overall, working ok. They are without Kane, and have been poor Away.

On the other hand, they are an established force, and only City and Liverpool have more points since Jose started.

Like any game we will have to play well, and will need luck. If the crowd stay vocal - in a positive sense - we can get a Win. I don’t think we need to fear Spurs.

A draw would be a very very good result aswell.

• Like 1

I rarely dream about football, but a minor detail of last night's that stood out had us lose this 5-1. Oddly this seems to have made me completely unconcerned about the match, like my brain has been fooled into thinking we've already lost it.