Pre match thread

roonst83

Dreading it after Bournemouth. We need to show far more grit, determination, fight, desire and hunger than we did at the Vitality to have any chance of not losing this. 

Get rid of Anwar and throw in Trezzy. We can’t keep having ineffective and invisible players who are bit involved in the game, when they’re supposed to be an attacking threat for us. 

Mings needs to shore up the defence as it was very poor at Bournemouth. And we need to try be more ruthless and competitive in the midfield as we don’t do enough to break up play or drive us forward. And we do not offer any protection to our defence. 

Need to use the wide areas to try provide for Samatta. He’s hungry and just needs something to feed off. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’d be tempted to play Nyland in this match, I think he has been unfairly treated by Smith after his cup heroics. My team for this match would be:

Nyland

Guilbert Engels Mings (c) Targett

El Ghazi Luiz Nakamba Grealish

Davis Samatta 

Bench: Reina, Elmohamady, Taylor, Konsa, Hourihane, Lansbury, Baston

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I’d be tempted to play Nyland in this match, I think he has been unfairly treated by Smith after his cup heroics. My team for this match would be:

Nyland

Guilbert Engels Mings (c) Targett

El Ghazi Luiz Nakamba Grealish

Davis Samatta 

Bench: Reina, Elmohamady, Taylor, Konsa, Hourihane, Lansbury, Baston

This is how you get relegated by panicking and changing horses midstream. El Ghazi and Grealish aren't traditional wingers. We had more shots and 1 less on target and dominated position but got beat up. It happens

• Like 2

If we somehow manage to win this and Bournemouth don't manage to win their tough next game at Sheffield United then we'll leapfrog them back. For once I want that pesky Sheffield United to win! :s

The whole team needs to think back to the character and energy they showed in the first game of the season and how close they went to beating Spurs then, and remember that that was away, this time we have the home advantage.

15 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

This is how you get relegated by panicking and changing horses midstream. El Ghazi and Grealish aren't traditional wingers. We had more shots and 1 less on target and dominated position but got beat up. It happens

Well, it’s not working currently for whatever reason :( I thought if we change it up, we might have an upturn in fortune or it could backfire miserably. I agree that El Ghazi and Grealish aren’t traditional wingers, there are very few left these days :(

Would be very tempted to start Davis and Samatta up front, with Grealish behind in a front 3. Alternatively that has to be a backup option if we're chasing the game.

Praying that we get the same spurs team that have played away all season, and Mourinho doesn't out think Smith. 

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Well, it’s not working currently for whatever reason :( I thought if we change it up, we might have an upturn in fortune or it could backfire miserably. I agree that El Ghazi and Grealish aren’t traditional wingers, there are very few left these days :(

We dominated possession vs Bournemouth 60 vs 40 had more shots but 1 less on target could've had penalty, and Konsa was fouled before one of their goals. It was a 6 pointer but we got out muscled and didn't get the rub of the green. It happens

You're exaggerating and want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. 

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I just think he’s more of a leader than Grealish, in my opinion, the captain should always be a centre back, don’t you agree?

I don’t. Agree that Mings is a big presence and leader but Grealish being captain gives him extra leeway to moan at refs and get in their ear without being booked for all the fouls he receives to pressure for free kicks and yellow cards/sending off.

• Like 2

I went to Spurs v Man City yesterday as my Dad’s a Spurs season ticket holder and he couldn’t go. Have to say the stadium is very impressive, if a bit showy. I was expecting a City win but unfortunately that wasn’t the case – there’s nothing worse than happy, smug Spurs fans chanting “Yid army” every 2 seconds.

City dominated the game and were extremely unlucky as well as being wasteful. They also didn’t seem to put in anywhere near as much effort as Spurs. The irony is we’ve had more shots against City this season than Spurs have and only scored once while conceding 9, whereas Spurs have scored four times (from pretty much every shot they’ve had) and conceded twice. Shows how bad our defence is.

When the likes of Watford, Norwich, Southampton and Brighton have all taken points from Spurs at home this season there is absolutely no frickin reason we shouldn’t be getting at least a point from this one. But as this is Villa, and we capitulate against any so-called “bigger” team we face – no matter how bad they are at said time – you can be sure we gift wrap Spurs three points despite the fact that we really have to make these home games count. Please prove me wrong, for once.

34 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

When the likes of Watford, Norwich, Southampton and Brighton have all taken points from Spurs at home this season there is absolutely no frickin reason we shouldn’t be getting at least a point from this one. But as this is Villa, and we capitulate against any so-called “bigger” team we face – no matter how bad they are at said time – you can be sure we gift wrap Spurs three points despite the fact that we really have to make these home games count. Please prove me wrong, for once.

Well we are the only team not to have a win against the bigger sides. Maybe there is a reason for that.

I don't doubt Smith is good at coaching. He's good at the training pitch. But tactically he is probably the worst in the league.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Elton said:

I don’t. Agree that Mings is a big presence and leader but Grealish being captain gives him extra leeway to moan at refs and get in their ear without being booked for all the fouls he receives to pressure for free kicks and yellow cards/sending off.

You think moaning at refs is a good thing? I hate it when he does it

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

We dominated possession vs Bournemouth 60 vs 40 had more shots but 1 less on target could've had penalty, and Konsa was fouled before one of their goals. It was a 6 pointer but we got out muscled and didn't get the rub of the green. It happens

You're exaggerating and want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. 

I think you’re just making excuses, I only saw highlights on match of the day, so can’t give that much of an assessment 

5 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think you’re just making excuses, I only saw highlights on match of the day, so can’t give that much of an assessment 

Can't remember the Bournemouth keeper having too make many saves.

I think we'll win this one.

Reina

Engles - Mings - Hause

Freddy                                    Target

Luiz     Nakamba

Grealish

Samatta      Davis

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Well we are the only team not to have a win against the bigger sides. Maybe there is a reason for that.

I don't doubt Smith is good at coaching. He's good at the training pitch. But tactically he is probably the worst in the league.

I don't think the coaching on the defence has been anywhere near good enough, but that may be down to Terry more than Smith. Considering we spent ~£75m on the defence last summer alone, to concede nearly 2 goals a game on average and the joint highest in the league with Norwich is farcical. If you count Luiz and Nakamba as defensive-minded midfielders, we've actually invested over £100m on trying to keep goals out which seems to have been money poorly invested. 

There's no doubt that some of it comes down to Smith's attacking style of play which leaves our defence exposed, but  our defence has obviously been far too easy to play against. I don't envy the defenders that say Sheff Utd or even Wolves have, but as a collective they are far, far better coached than we are. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

There's no doubt that some of it comes down to Smith's attacking style of play which leaves our defence exposed, but  our defence has obviously been far too easy to play against.

Yeah. We have also conceded the most amount of goals from set pieces. Smith's attacking style shouldn't matter in that regard.

Everyone's laughed at Norwich defending this season. The fact that we've conceded as many is very alarming. But not only that. We are also the team that concede the most amount of shots.

On a positive note we do score a decent amount of goals and we still create chances. No reason to give up yet, but our run in will be hard. Very hard.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1