Relegation thread

Knutserov13

On 02/07/2020 at 04:58, Stratvillan said:

Cheer up everyone. Long way to go. 

Thanks for this. Agreed.

Shoot me down and perhaps rightly so, but the Villa players and Smith might benefit from empty stands right now.

Murmurs, groans or even shouts of SMITH OUT! Or, BOO! Well, that's not exactly going to inspire the confidence we need to pull ourselves above and beyond the drop zone.

To clarify, I'm aware that nobody on the board is explicitly disrupting team morale by airing their views on a supporter's forum, but I can only imagine the stadium vibe given the mood on here.

Edited by A'Villan

3 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Thanks for this. Agreed.

Shoot me down and perhaps rightly so, but the Villa players and Smith might benefit from empty stands right now.

Murmurs, groans or even shouts of SMITH OUT! Or, BOO! Well, that's not exactly going to inspire the confidence we need to pull ourselves above and beyond the drop zone.

To clarify, I'm aware that nobody on the board is explicitly disrupting team morale by airing their views on a supporter's forum, but I can only imagine the stadium vibe given the mood on here.

Ermmm...we've played a few games in empty stands already ....2pts from 4 games is it ?

• Like 3

When you compare ours and Watford's fixtures side by side there's not much between them in terms of difficulty, their two hardest games on paper are Chelsea, Man City and ours are Liverpool and Man Utd, and we both play Arsenal and West Ham; one clear advantage is that they have an home game against Norwich, not a guarantee of points but if you could choose your fixtures that would probably be first choice, would be a really big help to us if Norwich could pull off a surprise, a bit worried about their game aganist Chelsea as well, as Chelsea seem to be in the habit of giving points to our rivals.

I think what might do for us is the fact that we play both Liverpool and Man Utd one after the other, if we lose both then chances are that we'll be more than three points from safety, with just four games to go, which would be pretty demoralizing to the team and hard for them to conjure up any believe that they can actually catch the team in seventeenth place. Whereas if we had other fixtures in between Liverpool and Man Utd then we mignt not lose as much ground at once which in turn wouldn't have as much of an affect on our confidence.

Would help us massively if over the next two games we either somehow manage to get result or two, West Ham lose both of their games, or Watford get no more than say a point from Chelsea and Norwich, in other words any scenario which sees us no more than a couple of points from safety with four games left to play.

33 minutes ago, useless said:

When you compare ours and Watford's fixtures side by side there's not much between them in terms of difficulty, their two hardest games on paper are Chelsea, Man City and ours are Liverpool and Man Utd, and we both play Arsenal and West Ham; one clear advantage is that they have an home game against Norwich, not a guarantee of points but if you could choose your fixtures that would probably be first choice, would be a really big help to us if Norwich could pull off a surprise, a bit worried about their game aganist Chelsea as well, as Chelsea seem to be in the habit of giving points to our rivals.

I think what might do for us is the fact that we play both Liverpool and Man Utd one after the other, if we lose both then chances are that we'll be more than three points from safety, with just four games to go, which would be pretty demoralizing to the team and hard for them to conjure up any believe that they can actually catch the team in seventeenth place. Whereas if we had other fixtures in between Liverpool and Man Utd then we mignt not lose as much ground at once which in turn wouldn't have as much of an affect on our confidence.

Would help us massively if over the next two games we either somehow manage to get result or two, West Ham lose both of their games, or Watford get no more than say a point from Chelsea and Norwich, in other words any scenario which sees us no more than a couple of points from safety with four games left to play.

If we're still within 2 points of Watford by the time we play Palace, I think we'll stay up. That would mean them only getting 1 point from Norwich/Newcastle and Chelsea games though, which I think they will get more from.

I have Bournemouth, Watford and Norwich going down. I said at the start of the season 40 goals for safety and those 3 aren't going to hit that mark. We are 4 goals off and west ham are now 2 goals of. We actually have a quite decent 2nd half of the remaining games. One of Everton, Crystal Palace and arsenal will have nothing to play for and I reckon West ham will already be safe over Bournemouth and Watford. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

Our goal difference is going to be shot to hell after the next 2 games

What was the shattering goal difference from the previous games vs them 2 this season? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, maqroll said:

They could get 5 points from that

Badly need them to get something at Watford. Brighton to me are a team we can't catch now and I'd rather West Ham were safe before final game so they can roll over in those two games.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

If we do go down with Bournemouth....it will be interesting how Watford and West Ham changing managers has worked.

Worked is stretching it. If either stay up, it would be by the skin of their teeth and both have look just about as bad as they did before the managerial change.

Neither West Ham or Watford should have been anywhere near relegation in the first place with their squads, both teams were expected to be comfortably midtable at the start of the season. So I don't think them changing managers is evidence that it would have worked for us, not saying that it wouldn't have, just that their situation is quite different to ours as both have squads that have already proven they can compete in this league and just needed someone to steer them in the right directon.

Whereas if Moyes or Pearson had have come to us they wouldn't have had the benefit of inheriting a team was previously proven in the premer leauge.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Worked is stretching it. If either stay up, it would be by the skin of their teeth and both have look just about as bad as they did before the managerial change.

Watford had an initial upsurge when Pearson took over but they have looked just awful lately. If the win against Chelsea's anything to go by then it looks like W Ham may have improved. Changing managers is always a crap shoot as to whether it will work.

West Ham beat Chelsea earlier in the season, and then carried on losing again, although with Burnley and Newcastle coming up I think they might string a few results together, that's not guaranteed though with the form those teams are showing.

11 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

I have Bournemouth, Watford and Norwich going down. I said at the start of the season 40 goals for safety and those 3 aren't going to hit that mark. We are 4 goals off and west ham are now 2 goals of. We actually have a quite decent 2nd half of the remaining games. One of Everton, Crystal Palace and arsenal will have nothing to play for and I reckon West ham will already be safe over Bournemouth and Watford. 

What's the significance of 40 goals ? 

If we score 4 more goals we stay up is what you are saying ? - I don't agree.

56 minutes ago, hippo said:

What's the significance of 40 goals ? 

If we score 4 more goals we stay up is what you are saying ? - I don't agree.

40 goals has generally been the benchmark for teams avoiding relegation in past seasons with only 2 teams who have reached it going down in the last 10(?) seasons. Generally if you are crap being better at scoring than defending is what you want so we have sacrificed our attacking play for defensive play and it may screw us over. 

24 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

40 goals has generally been the benchmark for teams avoiding relegation in past seasons with only 2 teams who have reached it going down in the last 10(?) seasons. Generally if you are crap being better at scoring than defending is what you want so we have sacrificed our attacking play for defensive play and it may screw us over. 

Goals scored is not usually considered a benchmark for relegation. Goal difference or goals conceded is usually a more significant stat. By your thinking losing 8-4 to Liverpool would mean Villa avoid relegation !