Relegation thread

Knutserov13

13 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Palace and Everton are must wins. We will probably get a draw and defeat from that. I think we may just scrape over 30 points. Getting over 35 points it getting into hail mary territory. 

Imagine if survival figure was 30 points though. Say Watford draw with Norwich and Newcastle and lose the other games and Bournemouth only get two draws aswell.

Imagine if we can't even do that with the results you say like drawing with Palace and Everton.

It's worth remembering we had 25 points by January 21st. Nearly half a season to get 5 more points to keep us in the league. We only had to win one game.

If we go down like that I really can't see how anyone on here could seriously argue for DS to keep his job for next season, it's a horrible way to go down. Could understand things more if we rallied and won a game or two but survival target was 38 points and we couldn't just reach that.

• Like 3

Most seasons people tend to underestimate the points to stay up, as usually a couple of clubs manage to get a few last ditch wins in the final stretch. However without  the home advantage to help the worst clubs to nick wins at home will this be lower this year?

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Most seasons people tend to underestimate the points to stay up, as usually a couple of clubs manage to get a few last ditch wins in the final stretch. However without  the home advantage to help the worst clubs to nick wins at home will this be lower this year?

Wouldn't the home advantage level out for good clubs and bad clubs overall? Yes worse clubs will suffer at home due to not having the home advantage but by the same token, they also benefit in away matches against the big clubs who no longer have their home advantage.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

Wouldn't the home advantage level out for good clubs and bad clubs overall? Yes worse clubs will suffer at home due to not having the home advantage but by the same toke, they also benefit in away matches against the big clubs who no longer have their home advantage.

Yes. It will average out to the worst sides losing both away AND at home!

5 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

You usually need about 36 or 37. So we probably need at least 10 points, 3 wins and a draw, from our last 6 games. So only 2 losses in a fixture list that includes Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal and Everton.

I really **** hope you're right and the points total needed is much less, because I can't honestly see us reaching 37 points.

I think the very best we can do is win against Palace and draw against WHam. 31 points is simply not going to be enough. I think the more relevant subject now is how many seasons do you think it will take us to return to the premier league?

4 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Wouldn't the home advantage level out for good clubs and bad clubs overall? Yes worse clubs will suffer at home due to not having the home advantage but by the same token, they also benefit in away matches against the big clubs who no longer have their home advantage.

The big clubs don’t need home advantage. They have much better players! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

You usually need about 36 or 37. So we probably need at least 10 points, 3 wins and a draw, from our last 6 games. So only 2 losses in a fixture list that includes Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal and Everton.

I really **** hope you're right and the points total needed is much less, because I can't honestly see us reaching 37 points.

We really could go the rest of the season without gaining another point. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Lomaski said:

I think the very best we can do is win against Palace and draw against WHam. 31 points is simply not going to be enough. I think the more relevant subject now is how many seasons do you think it will take us to return to the premier league?

one

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Exactly. At last someone posting with some common sense. 

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Whilst I want us to stay up I really enjoyed the Championship the season we got promoted. 

Not that fussed at all about going down. 

It certainly had its moments but tbf we were garbage save for a spell in November and then the streak Mar-May.  So I did actually spend quite a large percentage of last season miserable about Villa.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Imagine if survival figure was 30 points though. Say Watford draw with Norwich and Newcastle and lose the other games and Bournemouth only get two draws aswell.

Imagine if we can't even do that with the results you say like drawing with Palace and Everton.

It's worth remembering we had 25 points by January 21st. Nearly half a season to get 5 more points to keep us in the league. We only had to win one game.

If we go down like that I really can't see how anyone on here could seriously argue for DS to keep his job for next season, it's a horrible way to go down. Could understand things more if we rallied and won a game or two but survival target was 38 points and we couldn't just reach that.

I'm sure this is being debated across tons of threads in On Topic (I'm only reading this one, out of sadomasochism), but I agree with this re Smith. If we go down without winning a game, scoring more than a couple more goals, or even being appealing to watch*, then he will have to go. That's Lambertball, and it won't sell tickets in the Championship (or get promotion for that matter).

I wanted him to stay before, but he has to get the players to show *something*.

*Going by what people are saying on here because, again, I'm not watching any of this shit personally

• Like 1

I don't think we're staying up and I don't think we deserve to stay up, but I also don't watch much football apart from Villa and it appears at the moment that there are at least 3 teams about as bad as we are. If after Liverpool & United we are still within a win of getting out of the relegation zone, we might just be able to fluke it.

We were the better team against a Sheffield United team who just put Spurs to bed and look like playing Europe next season. I don't think a win will come against Liverpool. Manchester United, Arsenal or even Everton in all probability won't result in triumph either, but we can most definitely take it to all of those three and hope to earn a result, or at least a sucker punch that gets us recognition on the table. We most definitely can and should be playing our hearts out to control every inch possible against Crystal Palace and West Ham.

Ultimately we are judged on the results and outcomes, and losses and consequently relegation will be deemed failure. I still don't think we're as poor as some are saying. We're not as good as I'd like us to be, far, far from it, but considering the circumstances and how fine the line is for margin for error in this league then I think we've managed a relatively successful season by being in it down to the wire. Survive this season and I don't predict we are relegation fodder again this time, next time around.

Edited by A'Villan