Relegation thread

Knutserov13

8 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes I was still positive before the wolves game. Guess when you give up all hope the unexpected can happen. Maybe Liverpool will be struck down by COVID-19 and we get to play the youth team 

It was not that cut and dried in the cup against their kids as the score suggests. This fella sums up our plight 

Zacary smith.png

Edited by Follyfoot

14 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes I was still positive before the wolves game. Guess when you give up all hope the unexpected can happen. Maybe Liverpool will be struck down by COVID-19 and we get to play the youth team 

Hoping Lovren needs game time to get a medal 😉

9 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Norwich weren't easy against Man Utd when I saw them. They could stop Watford or West Ham. Although it's likely a game that West Ham and Watford could get 3 points from.

Remember we were much worse than Norwich and drew with Newcastle to send them down with us.

We'll have a much clearer picture going into Liverpool game. The likely results are until:

Chelsea Vs West Ham, Chelsea win

Watford Vs Chelsea, Chelsea

Manchester United Vs Bournemouth, Manchester United win.

Ofcourse, we can't take all of that as a fact. But that are the likely results. The more tricky ones are Steve Bruce games. We need them to do what Crystal Palace done to our rivals.

Bournemouth Vs Newcastle

Newcastle Vs Southampton

We could be far adrift by then, but we could equally be out of the bottom 3 without playing if Bournemouth and West Ham lost the next two and Chelsea done us a favor by winning with few goals.

We can still give Man Utd a game too. I know they're in huge form, but still, anything could happen.

do you mean west ham v newcastle?  Wilson being out for 2 matches could be good news for us hopefully.

I think that we will need 8 - 11 points to stay up. Whether we can get that many points is another matter.

We've clearly missed our twelfth man, at the so called home games, that we have played since the restart. These games have lacked atmosphere and relegation may yet be determined, by how seriously the opponents of teams in the bottom six, choose to take games against them. I would really love it if we could show some fight now and still have our fate in our own hands on the last day. 

I can see it now, we play out a tame 0-0 draw with West Ham, which coincidentally is enough to guarantee the safety of both clubs. Oh how we laugh, when the relegated clubs, complain that the result brings into question the "integrity" of football. :D       

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John said:

I think that we will need 8 - 11 points to stay up. Whether we can get that many points is another matter.

We've clearly missed our twelfth man, at the so called home games, that we have played since the restart. These games have lacked atmosphere and relegation may yet be determined, by how seriously the opponents of teams in the bottom six, choose to take games against them. I would really love it if we could show some fight now and still have our fate in our own hands on the last day. 

I can see it now, we play out a tame 0-0 draw with West Ham, which coincidentally is enough to guarantee the safety of both clubs. Oh how we laugh, when the relegated clubs, complain that the result brings into question the "integrity" of football. :D       

or we win to send them down 😃

• Like 1

Just shows how seriously crap you have to be to get relegated from this league.

I think when we beat Watford in the last minute in January we moved out of the bottom 3 by a point.

Since then its played 8 lost 6 drawn 2. And we are level on points with the team that are currently safe. Genuinely surprised we aren’t properly cut adrift by now with that form. Form that looks to be continuing for another 2 games at least, probably more.

• Like 3

Brighton, Watford and West Ham all have matches against Norwich coming up, that pretty much guarantees them all three points, so we're essentially three points from safety which is as good as four points when you consider goal difference. West Ham also happen to have a game in hand. I think we need to beat one of Liverpool or Man Utd, but something tells me the players don't believe they can win such games.

52 minutes ago, useless said:

Brighton, Watford and West Ham all have matches against Norwich coming up, that pretty much guarantees them all three points, so we're essentially three points from safety which is as good as four points when you consider goal difference. West Ham also happen to have a game in hand. I think we need to beat one of Liverpool or Man Utd, but something tells me the players don't believe they can win such games.

The same Norwich that beat Man City earlier in the season?

Look, I know that was a long time ago and they are rock bottom for a reason but I wouldn't be as certain as you are that they will lose ALL THREE of those games. At times they don't look that bad.

I do think though that the first game they play (Brighton?!) out of the 3 though is probably key to the other two results. Confidence for any team down there (including us) from a win could be massive.

• Like 1

Back then Norwich had something to play for. They aren't going to win all three, so pretty much guaranteed our rivals are going to be gain points from them, wouldn't be at all surprising if they all get three points, would be more surprising if they didn't. If we can't win our own games then that's our problem.

Edited by useless

2 hours ago, useless said:

Back then Norwich had something to play for. They aren't going to win all three, so pretty much guaranteed our rivals are going to be gain points from them, wouldn't be at all surprising if they all get three points, would be more surprising if they didn't. If we can't win our own games then that's our problem.

I'd argue they have more to play for now. It's basically sh*t or bust for them now, back when they beat City there was ages to go in the season.

On top of that they still have away games at Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City to play and are at home to Burnley, do you think they will lose ALL them too? They are arguably much tougher fixtures! 

End of the day, you might be right they may take zero points from the three games against our relegation rivals, I just don't think you can predict anything with a real sense of confidence.

I personally think they will finish on around 28-30 points which ultimately wont be enough but hopefully they can help us a little and let's face it we need all the help we can.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Just shows how seriously crap you have to be to get relegated from this league.

I think when we beat Watford in the last minute in January we moved out of the bottom 3 by a point.

Since then its played 8 lost 6 drawn 2. And we are level on points with the team that are currently safe. Genuinely surprised we aren’t properly cut adrift by now with that form. Form that looks to be continuing for another 2 games at least, probably more.

Good point. It was the same in the Championship. Teams at the bottom just kept on the same trajectory that got them in the bottom to start with. lose lose lose draw, lose lose draw lose lose etc.

The teams that stay up will be the ones that fluke a win or two. I suspect this year it will be Bournemouth. 

3 hours ago, useless said:

West Brom a few seasons ago hit form when they were practically relegated, with pressure off they might play with no fear

• Like 1

I think it could work one of two ways, with Norwich now. They could carry on losing and lose every game, or with relegation now inevitable, they could win/draw one or two games (particularly against teams that are in the bottom six). The pressure that is on relegation threatened teams to get points, will no longer weigh so heavily on them, so they might now play with a bit of freedom and be up for putting on the odd decent performance on the way down. We have to hope that will prove the case, in the same way their opponents will hope they will go down, without laying a glove on them. 

On 28/06/2020 at 21:01, villa4europe said:

The stats for the bottom 5 are mightily impressive

Played 13

Won 0

Drawn 3

Scored 4

Conceded 20

When you think we've scored 2 of the goals and got 2 of the draws and we've been absolutely **** awful... 

West ham have us and Watford to play so it can't stay like this but we've as good a chance as anyone 

That's genuinely pathetic, but what I think it very clearly demonstrates is that the one thing crap teams have going for them is the roar of a home crowd, or even the energy of a full away ground. Take the fans away, and you've just got 11 players who are significantly worse at football and less fit than their opponents.

• Like 3

Norwich problem since the restart is they're more than competitive at 0-0, had chances v likes of Southampton and Everton in the first half but just fold if they concede the first goal. At least they didn't v Man. United but if we're desperately hoping they take some points off West Ham and Watford we're going to need them to score first in both games I think.

It's not impossible they could pick up a bit if they mentally accept they're down. Remember that mass winning run West Brom did two years ago when they were miles adrift, think they won at Man. United, Spurs and drew with Liverpool.

I saw a stat on twitter last night that Heaton is fourteenth for the most amount of saves this season in the premier league, despite missing a lot of games, If he'd have stayed fit probably would have saved us a fair few points.