Relegation thread

Knutserov13

16 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

If all that people offer is £40m then they will not be getting him. Simple as that. Double it and we may be prepared to open negotiations 

I think you’ll be very disappointed then. BTW you don’t make the decisions at the club 😉

There's no way we would entertain anything like 50m. That's what Man Utds average right back went for. We're talking about, arguably, England's most talented young player. We're under no obligation to sell him as far as I know. Not for a cut price deal anyway.

53 minutes ago, jim said:

I agree, I’d be amazed if we got £50m for Grealish if we get relegated. £35-40m if we are lucky. 

Not really Jim.

The way it is, we own Jack Grealish. The owners have said irrelevant what league we play in now or next year he will cost anyone £80m.

If Man Utd or anyone else want him then that is what they will be made to pay. If they don't, Jack stays with us and gets his head down and gets focused on getting into the England Euro21 squad by giving his all next season for the cause (based on him staying and us not being relegated).

Either way whatever league we're in. We will get the £80m whenever he went to.

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Not really Jim.

The way it is, we own Jack Grealish. The owners have said irrelevant what league we play in now or next year he will cost anyone £80m.

If Man Utd or anyone else want him then that is what they will be made to pay. If they don't, Jack stays with us and gets his head down and gets focused on getting into the England Euro21 squad by giving his all next season for the cause (based on him staying and us not being relegated).

Either way whatever league we're in. We will get the £80m whenever he went to.

Where have they said we won’t accept less than £80m for him?

I'm starting to think that people are trying to convince themselves that he's going for a low fee, so when he goes for more than that, they can act like it's an amazing deal and not feel as bad about him leaving.

Grealish is one of the best players in the league, wanted by some of the best clubs in the world, he's a very unique player that offers something that very few, if any other players can offer, no way he's going to go for as little as £50m, Man Utd had to pay that to buy Wan-Bissaka, that's just one example, if you look at all the players that Premier league sides paid £50m plus for last summer Grealish is better than them all. If we let him go for £50m it would reflect very badly on those running the club, only way it can happen is if he's got some sort of release clause in his contract, but Smith did say that none of our players do, so that seems unlikely.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Ayew for Taylor. 

Our recruitment is so bad at times. 

Terrible but we were all content with decision as fans at the time, Ayew hadn’t scored all season and didn’t look happy saying that the miserable buger never looks happy, but he has been immense for Palace this season 

17 minutes ago, jim said:

Where have they said we won’t accept less than £80m for him?

I am not sure Jim i've not seen quotes on that.

Equally, we don't exactly need to sell him either. It's not about the money but more of a showing that the club isn't a thrift store when people come knocking.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

I'm gonna just say I hope I'm wrong, but the fact is no player has left a club relegated for the Championship for more than £30m other than Moussa Sissoko. James Maddison, who is compared to Grealish repeatedly, left a Championship club for significantly less than £30m. There is also a question about whether the pandemic has any effect on player prices as well.

52 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I am not sure Jim i've not seen quotes on that.

Equally, we don't exactly need to sell him either. It's not about the money but more of a showing that the club isn't a thrift store when people come knocking.

That’s my point, the £80m is just a made up number by fans. 

Correct, we don’t have to sell but I imagine Jack will want to leave if we are relegated and I have a feeling the figure we would be willing to accept will be lower than what people think. 

34 minutes ago, jim said:

That’s my point, the £80m is just a made up number by fans. 

Correct, we don’t have to sell but I imagine Jack will want to leave if we are relegated and I have a feeling the figure we would be willing to accept will be lower than what people think. 

I don't think it's an unrealistic figure to be honest.. I think that's pretty cheap.

It's a real slow death type of season for us now. Think we now deep down we're not good enough to stay up, not good enough at both ends whatever formation we play.

Six games left and probably only two you're confident we could even get draws out of. Even winning two games probably won't be enough.

We've countless chances in last 10 days to at least get out of bottom 3 and fluffed our lines every time so I really can't see it happening from this point onwards.

• Like 1

Would keep - Douglas Luiz, Grealish, Mings, McGinn, Heaton. Would allow to evaporate into the atmosphere - everyone else. But thanks to relegation, we'll be lucky to keep a crocked Heaton, and a recovering McGinn. Lots to do next summer - might be time for a new management team. 

• Like 1

I was only ever hoping for a fight, and something promising to build on next season. That would give me hope. But no, we look abject and none of our players that we're likely to keep look like they'll cut the mustard even in the Championship. Dog shit all round with nothing to look forward to at all.

• Like 1

This is a game which we’d have got battered before the stop. I’d take 1-0 loses in these 3 games with our rivals failing to win.

We need Chelsea, Southampton and Newcastle to do us some favor.

In a way only losing 1-0 feels even worse than if we'd have been beaten comfortably, because at least then there wouldn't be the frustation that if only we'd have scored one goal we'd have had a point. Before the game being in the bottom three on goal difference only made things seem not so bad, but now we're in the bottom three having played a game more than everyone else, the table looks bleak and without hope.

In a strange way I'm not bothered about who stays or goes as long as we get a fair price for them. More worried about who we buy, as that's been our problem.

• Like 1

Rookie manager, a load of unknown overseas players - big money striker with no goalscoring record ...

Blind faith I hoped it would work - but the harsh reality ground us down. With the added conundrum now do those above Smith know. what to do ?

Dyche has his critics - who doesn't. But he would probably be our biggest managerial coup since MON.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Other teams aren't going to do us favors, think we'll see a few of them starting to pick up points now, starting with Watford to tomorrow, and wouldn't rule out Bournemouth beating Newcastle in the week.

2 minutes ago, AV82 said:

I was only ever hoping for a fight, and something promising to build on next season. That would give me hope. But no, we look abject and none of our players that we're likely to keep look like they'll cut the mustard even in the Championship. Dog shit all round with nothing to look forward to at all.

Indeed I would have loved it work. But project Smith looks dead in the water. We aren't playing but leaking goals - were are  going for 0-0 every game.