Relegation thread

Knutserov13

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Was a bit bored tonight so I found a replay of the game from back in February vs Spurs at VP.

I honestly couldn't remember what happened but we are absolutely destroying them playing wonderful football. 35 mins gone and we should have been 4 by now up (Louiz missed an absolute sitter.)

We were one up and they scored a freak equalizer. (Might give the 2nd half a miss as I seem to remember now that we lose.) My point is, I can't understand how we played this well and find ourselves in the position that we currently do. Grealish is on fire in the 1st half - does he look so lacklustre since the lockdown because he doesn't have an England squad to play for?

We're not mentally strong. That mentality which we had two spells last season. During November, then when Jack came back and we won 10 on row. We felt that we're winning before the game start.

That's what gave me a bit of hope more than before the stop. We came back at Newcastle, we were about to against Chelsea (and didn't fall apart). We were unlucky against Spurs, another goal then would make a huge difference. We're missing two goals lead.

Heaton, Guilbert, Mings, Targett, Luiz, McGinn, Grealish, Samatta are all good players. I think if we had Samatta or even a fit Davis at the beginning of the season, things would've been much different. We had chances but without strikers scoring.

• Like 3

Which players left in 2016 when we went down? Hard to remember but I think it was; Ayew, Traore (Jan?), Carlos Sanchez, Guzan, Bennett(?), Idrissa Gueye, Scott Sinclair, Westwood, Gestede...

I think they all got sold when we went down, but that’s just from memory I might be wrong.

15 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Which players left in 2016 when we went down? Hard to remember but I think it was; Ayew, Traore (Jan?), Carlos Sanchez, Guzan, Bennett(?), Idrissa Gueye, Scott Sinclair, Westwood, Gestede...

I think they all got sold when we went down, but that’s just from memory I might be wrong.

Veretout, Gollini, Clark if you include Jan departures and loans.

Edited by sne

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Veretout, Gollini, Clark if you include Jan departures and loans.

God, forgotten about Veretout. And yes, of course Clark went to NUFC.

I think Gollini only signed when we went down if I remember correctly though?

• Like 1

Just now, alreadyexists said:

God, forgotten about Veretout. And yes, of course Clark went to NUFC.

I think Gollini only signed when we went down if I remember correctly though?

Ah yes, and then was loaned out in Jan after RDM was sacked?

• Like 1

Kieran Richardson, Cissokho, Crespo, Guzan, Okore, Bennett, and Callum Robinson are some others that left after we were relegated, although Cissokho only went on loan, If you include January loan departures McCormack and Tshibola als left, and we had only just signed them.

58 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Ayew was swapped for Taylor in January, and Gestede sold to Boro in January 

40 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Ayew for Taylor. 

Our recruitment is so bad at times. 

I think Ayew was desperate to go so we took someone for a position we were light in. It does seem silly in hindsight but Ayew wasn’t going to hang around in the Champ with us, unfortunately, as he was one of our (marginally) better players in that dreadful season

Edited by alreadyexists

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

Blimey. Let me read that again.........Adomah for Traore............we are terrible at transfers!

To be fair at the time I think we thought we’d done them over! Lol. Plus, Traore wasn’t the player he is now back then, and we needed instant players not promise. Time was a luxury with didn’t have 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Think westwood and ayew both played in the first season for a bit

11 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Think westwood and ayew both played in the first season for a bit

Yeah, I think it was just a few games before the window closed if I remember... might be wrong. Maybe it was Jan?

EDIT: just looked, it was Jan. maybe they stick around until it didn’t look like we would come straight back up! 

Edited by alreadyexists

18 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

People have absolutely deluded themselves about how much we are likely to get for Grealish once we have been relegated.

EDIT: I should say, I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I will be.

I agree, I’d be amazed if we got £50m for Grealish if we get relegated. £35-40m if we are lucky. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jim said:

I agree, I’d be amazed if we got £50m for Grealish if we get relegated. £35-40m if we are lucky. 

If all that people offer is £40m then they will not be getting him. Simple as that. Double it and we may be prepared to open negotiations