Relegation thread

Knutserov13

32 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Even Brighton are not safe. 

I've said a few times on here that someone seems to get relegated every year who were not really part of the battle and get sucked in last minute. 

Maybe Brighton are that team? However I think it's too unlikely, too many teams will have to win too many games whilst they pick up nothing from their last 3 games. 

Mathematically possible but too many unlikely scenarios I think. 

Leicester throwing away the game (and Sky bumming Solanki) doesn’t help us. But we looked a completely different team (apart from last 5 minutes), by being 2-0 up. We’re such a confidence team, I genuinely think if we’d beaten Shef Utd start of Post lockdown we’d be safe now. 

• Like 1

Before the game today I couldn’t see where another goal would come from let alone a win. So to have scored two, should have got at least 1 more and kept a clean sheet gives me a little more hope than I had a few hours ago. I’d like to think that it has had a similar effect on the confidence of the players and coaches too. We’re still in dire straits but a little belief can go a long way. Of course the other teams have all had results so their level of confidence will have had a similar boost. At least we’re still alive for now. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

It does look as though 7 points from the remaining fixtures is the minimum requirement to stand any chance now that Bournemouth have put the cat amongst the pigeons.

I think 5 or 6 points might do it, but I'm with you 7 should do it. 

21 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I've said a few times on here that someone seems to get relegated every year who were not really part of the battle and get sucked in last minute. 

Maybe Brighton are that team? However I think it's too unlikely, too many teams will have to win too many games whilst they pick up nothing from their last 3 games. 

Mathematically possible but too many unlikely scenarios I think. 

Brighton probably only need one more point as they have a much better goal difference.  Even though we took 4 points off them this season, they will be fine.

20 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

It does look as though 7 points from the remaining fixtures is the minimum requirement to stand any chance now that Bournemouth have put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Yep. 7pts has to be the minimum goal. 

4 points still might do it if West Ham beat Watford. Bournemouth might beat Everton or Southampton which could bring it down to goal difference.

A draw between West Ham and Watford is interesting. Means both are catchable. If we beat Everton we'd just have to match West Ham's result against United when we play Arsenal, which on paper is an easier task, then beat them on the final day. If Bournemouth get a couple of results, that could relegate both West Ham and Watford which would be just lovely.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Wins mean absolutely nothing if we get relegated. Our win today hasnt improved our position or situation, we're in worse place now than Friday. Just like our wins in the LC meant nothing because we didnt win it. Anyway I dont want to argue about the nature of supporting a football team. But this is as far as it gets from enjoyable.

No worries at all, I agree the wins will all be irrelevant if we do drop out of the league and it's been a tough season 👍.

I just feel that although looking at the table it doesn't appear that we're in a 'better place with the same points difference and one game less, I'm looking at the bigger picture which is the games that are left to play and us actually winning our first game since lockdown and hopefully the confidence that it may bring in the final three games 🤞

Just now, Keyblade said:

Don't see us beating Arsenal to be honest, but I'd Kevin Keegan love it if we did.

They have a soft underbelly. We need to kick them off the park. We owe them for the diabolical decisions at the Emirates.

• Like 1

Winning breeds winning. Even if we go down winning will instill a better mentality going in to next season especially with the shirt turnaround.

Edit: short turnaround. Not shirt. 

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, tinker said:

Can see us going into the last game relegated and with nothing to play for, West ham needing to draw or win and we will relegate them by beating them. What's the odds on that 😬

In that scenario I'd rather lose and let them stay up. They would be stronger rivals next year than any of the other relegation candidates.