Relegation thread

Knutserov13

Brighton aren't out of it yet, have three tricky games coming up, if they were to lose the next two, and we were to get four points from our next two, then suddenly we'd be in with a chance of going above them on the last day of the season.

Edited by useless

If you think about it, thinking cold-heartedly, like a neutral fan might. 

Looking at where we are in the table and how we were playing, this is really the first game since we played Newcastle that you would reasonably give us a chance of winning.  We've just played 3 matches on the bounce against teams who are all flying high up the table, bang in form.  

Really the first chance we've had, we've taken it. 

We got a draw against Newcastle which was not what we wanted at all and prior to that we played Chelsea and Sheffield, again 2 teams right up the table. 

We've had a horrible run in.  

I bet most neutrals wouldn't have given us a chance against any of those teams. 

We had to start winning and we've basically taken our first realistic chance of doing so. 

We absolutely need to be within 2 point of WH on the last day because of the GD.

The minimum would be to draw against Arsenal and Everton (if West Ham lose to Watford and MU). Then we’d have to beat WH on the last day, that would do it.

So we need a minimum of 2 points from the next 2 games to have any hope.

Edited by Genie

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Man City will batter Watford's GD

I hope you’re right but Man City have an annoying habit of occasionally losing to teams they really should beat. 

I think the perfect scenario is that West Ham win. Hopefully we can beat Everton. But even a point could keep us with a slim chance to beat West Ham and stay up.

If West Ham wins, 4 points won’t be enough to keep us up.

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

We need Leicester to beat Bournemouth tonight and for Bournemouth to get a spanking v Man City. They may get something against Southampton but that is a South East Coast Derby so some pride at stake there. I see them taking 4 points maximum if they lose tonight. 

I am hoping West Ham beat Watford because Watford should lose the last two. That'll leave them on 34 points and hopefully with a gd of - 28+

If Villa can get a point v Everton and a win v West Ham on the last day, as long as we don't lose to Arsenal by more than we win by at West Ham, we would be safe. 

All that is not unfeasible guys. 

I'm not really paying much attention to Bournemouth now.  If they go past us we will be so far behind Watford/West Ham we will be down anway. 

Iv'e never been one to agree going down will be ok chance to rebuild blah blah.  I am clinging on for dear life we stay up, we all know for sure it will be the best thing for us, then hopefully we can crack on, rather than start all over.

• Like 2

I don't think Everton will be as poor as Palace. I think they'll turn up. Coleman had a real dig at his own team after the game. We need to make sure our own attitude and performance is spot on.

• Like 1

We all should know by now that predicting football matches is an extremely difficult task because there is always (at least) one result that no one expects, buuuuuuut, it's been a good day (so far) and we've given ourselves a chance, so here's my two penneth.

If Bournemouth lose this, and you can't see them getting anything against Man City, then the most points they can accumulate is 34 points (with wins against Southampton and Everton). I could see 4 points from that MAXIMUM which would leave them on 32. Down for me.

Watford currently on 34. West Ham currently on 34. I would like to write off games they have against City and United. Which leaves West Ham facing us and Watford facing Arsenal. Both those games scare me, us playing the hammers for obvious reasons, could be one of the biggest game in our history, but I have a sneaky feeling that Deeney n co could bully an Arsenal team all over the field and nick the 3 points. I hope I'm wrong. 

It's obvious we need at least 2 wins. I think I'm more confident of us at VP against Arsenal than I am against Everton to be honest. I think we will have 33 points after those games. 

So my theory would require Watford beating WHU so that come the final game of the season the latter are on 34 and we're on 33 and it's win or bust. To be honest I would take that if offered now. 

Ideally though, WHU beat the hornets go full on beach mode for our game, then the latter lose to City and Arsenal and we secure 2 out of 3 wins (in fact f*** it, 3/3)!

UTV 

• Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Could we end up in a situation where by the time we play West Ham they are safe but if we beat them and Watford fail to beat Arsenal we stay up! This is what will happen. 

Everton. That's it. Everton .

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Could we end up in a situation where by the time we play West Ham they are safe but if we beat them and Watford fail to beat Arsenal we stay up! This is what will happen. 

I‘d rather it was in our hands, too often last day of the season throws up unusual results. I’d rather we went into the last game knowing we needed a result to be certain of survival.