Relegation thread

Knutserov13

5 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

Goals scored is not usually considered a benchmark for relegation. Goal difference or goals conceded is usually a more significant stat. By your thinking losing 8-4 to Liverpool would mean Villa avoid relegation !

You're deliberately ignoring the point. Generally if you are looking at 5 teams facing relegation and 2 reach 40 goals it is likely those 2 teams will stay up in favour of the other teams. This isn't a hard and fast rule aka Brighton, Newcastle and Crystal Palace. But it generally holds true and I think it will hold true this year as well. I think we can get a win against 2 of Crystal Palace, Everton and Arsenal because they will have **** all to play for and I think we can beat wet spam especially if they are already safe which I reckon is likely 

5 hours ago, gurru991 said:

Goals scored is not usually considered a benchmark for relegation. Goal difference or goals conceded is usually a more significant stat. By your thinking losing 8-4 to Liverpool would mean Villa avoid relegation !

Or you know, we could just use. Points? I hear that statistic is really good at deciding who is going to get relegated or not.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

40 goals has generally been the benchmark for teams avoiding relegation in past seasons with only 2 teams who have reached it going down in the last 10(?) seasons. Generally if you are crap being better at scoring than defending is what you want so we have sacrificed our attacking play for defensive play and it may screw us over. 

So 40 goals might not keep us up after all ?

Looking like we're down. We need to build for next season by getting in a more successful scouting team , one thats proven in the championship and league one. We need two new wide players, a holding midfielder and thats before anyone moves on. 

If we dont prepare now other teams will and we end up chasing our arse trying to rebuild from the back of the que 

Large parts of this team will not compete championship style .

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

No Dean. This isn't a 6 team battle. It's between Bournemouth , Villa and Watford.

I don't agree with you often but I think you hit the nail on the head here. 

We won't beat Man Utd, Liverpool or Arsenal. Hopefully, Everton, Palace and West Ham have nothing to play for when we go up against them and we fight for points in those games. 

Dont see a problem with his comments then again he seems to get pulled up by a certain poster for anything he does 

Bit petty and embarrassing 

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I don't agree with you often but I think you hit the nail on the head here. 

We won't beat Man Utd, Liverpool or Arsenal. Hopefully, Everton, Palace and West Ham have nothing to play for when we go up against them and we fight for points in those games. 

Newcastle had nothing to play for against Bournemouth yet they smashed them.

Hope you are right though. But i don't think we'll get any easy games just because a team is safe.

7 hours ago, villalad21 said:

If Norwich win they are only 3 points behind us. 

I would prefer Brighton to win.

You got your wish. If Norwich were going to finish above us with a win today, we would deserve to go down. I had written off Norwich, as it seems they have themselves. My focus was on staying above Bournemouth and not letting the clubs above us (including Brighton), build too wide a gap between themselves and us. We now have to set our sights on Watford and West Ham alone. :(  

1 minute ago, John said:

You got your wish. If Norwich were going to finish above us with a win today, we would deserve to go down. I had written off Norwich, as it seems they have themselves. My focus was on staying above Bournemouth and not letting the clubs above us (including Brighton), build too wide a gap between themselves and us. We now have to set our sights on Watford and West Ham alone. :(  

Brighton would probably have survived even on 33 pts

• Like 1

I’ve got a feeling our only win will come in the last game of the season. But by then West Ham will be safe and we’ll already be down. 

Edited by roonst83
  • Like 1

On their day Arsenal are capable of beating anyone and they were always going to be favortes against us however well they played aganist Wolves today. One glimmer of hope is that just as much as they're capable of beating anyone they're also capable of losing to anyone. We'll be doing well to be still in with a chance of surviving by the time we play them.

We got robbed at Arsenal. For their penalty Geundouzi was holding Trezeguet's shirt before falling over. For their 3rd goal they had a player closer than a metre to our wall. Then to top it off Sokratis caught the ball in the box so we should have won a penalty. I sincerely hope we smash them. 

• Like 3