Relegation thread

Knutserov13

3 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Problem is it’s going to be yet another re build next season, as can’t see many of this lot staying and can’t see us coming back up for a few years 

Fulham and West Brom have done o.k to be solid top 6 as both were relegated in worse states than this team.

People love doing this comparison but Fulham were on 17 points at this stage last season which gives you a clue how inept they were at this level.

Grealish leaving will leave a massive creative void though.

Club **** up big time with recruitment in the summer. We needed a powerhouse midfielder but took a luxury signing in Luiz

I also still think we would have been relegated already with Adomah, Whelan, Hutton etc

• Like 1

We should have some Grealish money + some parachute payment to play with. Some would naturally move on lowering our wage bill. That’s the easy part. Spending/getting value for money whilst getting promoted is another ball game altogether. 

1 minute ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

The most annoying thing is that it's still in our hands , but we just have absolutely not fight or plan, it's still in our hands and it looks like the players have given up.

Think that’s the worse thing about it, other teams keep on losing for us to get us out of it but we keep bottling it

• Like 2

My current predictions of the bottom 7

Norwich-29

Aston Villa-33

West Ham-35

Bournemouth-36

Watford-39

Brighton-41

Newcastle-42

Smith has one more game to save his job imo. If we lose against Chelsea it should be over for him.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Truth be told we have never really looked liked we belong in this division bar the odd spell in  a game here and there. And that is heartbreaking given our former position as  a rock solid top flight team. 

We have had  a truly dire 10 years apart from 2 random cup finals, and it is going to take a massive effort even to just re-establish ourselves as  a mid table premier league side.  Football has moved on and we are floundering at the back.

And we disliked that under Deadly Doug- bloody hell our expectations have lowered big time.

It just feels that every opportunity we have had at every stage in the past 10-20 years whether at first to challenge the top teams or now just even to stay up, we have blown it.

And yet we are on course to average our highest attendances for over 70 years. Unbelievable support given what is served up on the pitch in most games.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, poitier said:

I know you need time to build a team, and losing Grealish will hurt etc, but times like tonight I think I wouldn't mind at all seeing that squad completely dismantled.

Nah you don't need to do that.

Last season Fulham just got rid of pretty much all last summers intake and just reverted to the team that got them up e.g. Tom Cairney as attacking midfield, Ream and Odoi in their back 4 etc.

Elmohamdy, El Ghazi and Hourihane all started and contributed in the play off final last season so let's not make out they'd all be rubbish back down in the championship and we could keep Mings and McGinn who are stand outs down there without question.

The problem will be the Grealish void and we simply need to replace him with proven quality down there rather than just a punt as we've done many times over the last decade when we've sold a key player.

I expect us to be challenging for top 2 next season if we're in the championship.

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Last season Fulham just got rid of pretty much all last summers intake and just reverted to the team that got them up e.g. Tom Cairney as attacking midfield, Ream and Odoi in their back 4 etc.

Elmohamdy, El Ghazi and Hourihane all started and contributed in the play off final last season so let's not make out they'd all be rubbish back down in the championship and we could keep Mings and McGinn who are stand outs down there without question.

The problem will be the Grealish void and we simply need to replace him with proven quality down there rather than just a punt as we've done many times over the last decade when we've sold a key player.

I expect us to be challenging for top 2 next season if we're in the championship.

It’s an impossible argument really as we don’t know who we’ll bring in, in the summer but there is absolutely no chance in hell our current squad (minus Grealish) would get promoted out of the championship. No chance at all. And that’s if we keep Mings and McGinn. 

1 hour ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

The most annoying thing is that it's still in our hands , but we just have absolutely not fight or plan, it's still in our hands and it looks like the players have given up.

This!

If we win our game in hand we are out of the bottom three......obviously I can’t see it but will be praying for a miracle.  We look like we are going to lose every one of final games easily.  Just hoping for a Southampton and suddenly go from looking like the worst team ever to looking a decent team.....being a Villa fan, that isn’t going to happen.  I’m still shocked how bad we are but still have a game in hand to get us out of the bottom three....

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’s an impossible argument really as we don’t know who we’ll bring in, in the summer but there is absolutely no chance in hell our current squad (minus Grealish) would get promoted out of the championship. No chance at all. And that’s if we keep Mings and McGinn. 

We'd still be up there in the mix though. Let's remember we were comfortably top 6 for majority of 17-18 and Jack only started playing from that January.

Think what I'm getting at is there should be no repeat of 16-17 when we were miles off even competiting for 6th place and simply had to have a year of cleansing the place from all the awful premier league seasons.

Ok because I am a sadist-

2015/2016 and 2019/20 so far combined for Villa-

Played 66. Won- 10. Drawn-12.  Lost-44. 42 points combined in nearly two seasons. Wow.

Goals scored- 61. Goals conceded-132. Yes- one hundred and thirty two goals. That is more than 2 goals per game.

Weekends would be so much nicer if I didn't follow Villa. Epic fail. 

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Not sure if Mginn or Mings would stick around. Why would they? May not be as simple