Pitch Invasions

Genie

57 minutes ago, lexicon said:

There's a lot more in life to be worried about than this... Don't care either way. 

Yes but in a football and villa context we should be worried as we can end up getting fines, stadium bans and points docked.

I know there’s “a lot more in life to worry about” but you could say that about literally anything football related. I don’t think the FA are going to come after Villa for failing to come up with a cure for the coronavirus for example so probably not the thing to “worry about” on a Villa forum...

16 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

...But if getting to a cup final with a last gasp winner doesn't qualify I don't know what does.

Nothing does. It's illegal and makes the club look like a bunch of small time idiots.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Does it have to be the greatest achievement in the club's history to warrant it? I wasn't a fan of the West Brom and Boro invasions as they weren't very noteworthy occasions. Boro was literally a 0-0 draw. But if getting to a cup final with a last gasp winner doesn't qualify I don't know what does.

Maybe actually winning the cup/league? That's my point; these pitch invasions aren't because we won a competition, we get to go to Wembley, that's it. Now that we are going for the 5th time in 5 years, it seems really daft. 

Also if we do it for a great/significant last minute win, why didn't we do it for the Watford game? History won't remember the losers of the final. If we actually win something, I can see some justification for it, albeit still think its a bit daft. 

15 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Also I've never seen pitch invasions spoken about negatively unless it involves Villa. In all other instances it's spoken about warmly and "in the spirit of football". It's so odd.

I do agree with this though, not 2 days earlier Shrewsbury fans invaded the pitch after their 2-2 draw with Liverpool but it is suggested that it was "good natured". 

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Nothing does. It's illegal and makes the club look like a bunch of small time idiots.

Like I said before, I've never heard of it being illegal until we do it...which is admittedly relatively often. I've always thought it was just another part of the game.

1 minute ago, cyrusr said:

Maybe actually winning the cup/league? That's my point; these pitch invasions aren't because we won a competition, we get to go to Wembley, that's it. Now that we are going for the 5th time in 5 years, it seems really daft. 

Also if we do it for a great/significant last minute win, why didn't we do it for the Watford game? History won't remember the losers of the final. If we actually win something, I can see some justification for it, albeit still think its a bit daft. 

I do agree with this though, not 2 days earlier Shrewsbury fans invaded the pitch after their 2-2 draw with Liverpool but it is suggested that it was "good natured". 

I agree also, but this in the case of Shrewsbury its because of the result they got in the David versus Goliath match. I think its looked down upon when Villa do it because people don't generally see the result as a particularly special achievement. Just running on the pitch because they can. Endangering the safety of the players and staff for no particular reason.

21 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Also I've never seen pitch invasions spoken about negatively unless it involves Villa. In all other instances it's spoken about warmly and "in the spirit of football". It's so odd.

Glasgow Rangers say hi.

2 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Well a Wembley cup final is a slightly more momentous occasion than temporarily going 16th in the table I would say. 

It's just semantics and subjective viewpoints at this point, ie: where the cutoff point is for warranting a pitch invasion. I'm more interested to know if it's actually even allowed in the first place, which I'm finding out is apparently not.

3 hours ago, Genie said:

I am with you, we didn't even win the cup. Its a bit OTT. I think its become a bit of a tradition unfortunately. Fans see it as fair game if you qualify for a Wembley final.

We did it when we beat WBA, when we beat Derby and I also remember a few years back against Blackburn. None of those times were for winning anything.

Also:-

Did it vs Tranmere in 1994 (2nd Leg Semi Final of League Cup), vs Arsenal in 1996 at Villa Park (2nd Leg Semi Final of League Cup), also against Inter in 1994 after Phil King's winning penalty.

Our fans have always done it!!

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

These dickheads won't care when the club get fined "cos it ain't my money, Fam !" so they'll just do it again and again.

The solution ? Police dogs around the perimeter ? Electrify the barriers ? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

I am with you, we didn't even win the cup. Its a bit OTT. I think its become a bit of a tradition unfortunately. Fans see it as fair game if you qualify for a Wembley final.

We did it when we beat WBA, when we beat Derby and I also remember a few years back against Blackburn. None of those times were for winning anything.

When was the Derby game?

Just now, Villan4Life said:

Also:-

Did it vs Tranmere in 1994 (2nd Leg Semi Final of League Cup), via Arsenal in 1994 at Villa Park (2nd Leg Semi Final of League Cup), vs Inter Miami 1994 after Phil King's winning penalty.

Our fans have always done it!!

I didn't realise they were around back then 😉 

29 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Yes but in a football and villa context we should be worried as we can end up getting fines, stadium bans and points docked.

I know there’s “a lot more in life to worry about” but you could say that about literally anything football related. I don’t think the FA are going to come after Villa for failing to come up with a cure for the coronavirus for example so probably not the thing to “worry about” on a Villa forum...

Points docked for something that happened in the Carabao Cup? I'd say that's unlikely. 

I don't think anything major will come of it. 

Â