Pitch Invasions

Genie

Villa could find themselves in hot water as repeat offenders of this crime.

The Football association have opened an investigation into the pitch invasion following Leicester City's Carabao Cup semi-final defeat to Aston Villa.

Villa fans stormed the pitch upon the full-time whistle, just moments after seeing Trezeguet net a dramatic winner in stoppage time to send them through to the Wembley final.

Pitch invasions have become tradition in football after big wins, but it seems some Villa fans might have crossed the line.

According to the Independent, James Maddison was 'pushed on the back of the head' - something Police are also investigating, reviewing CCTV footage - and Jamie Vardy was 'goaded' by a number of fans.

Fans were warned not to invade the pitch after the full-time whistle and their failure to abide by the rules have landed their club in a spot of bother.

Link

Not sure what precedent there is for this kind of punishment? Obviously a points deduction could be catastrophic. Maybe a fine and final warning.

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

Villa could find themselves in hot water as repeat offenders of this crime.

Not sure what precedent there is for this kind of punishment? Obviously a points deduction could be catastrophic. Maybe a fine and final warning.

I very much doubt you can be given a points deduction for a cup game

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaJ100 said:

Could be kicked out I suppose.

Just seems all around kind of small time to me. If it was a champions league semi or we'd just qualified for Europe after last game of the season with a 3-2 win from 0-2 down fair enough. Knowing us we'd do if it we stayed up with a win in the last home game which is unbelievably small time and more like SHA would do. 

I'm probably just a miserable sod but I can't say I'm a fan. It's not like our first Wembley appearance in 75 years. It seems to me to be an excuse for a load of pilchards to step on to that hallowed turf which let's be honest they have no right to do as they aren't a player, coach or even steward/ball boy. 

I am with you, we didn't even win the cup. Its a bit OTT. I think its become a bit of a tradition unfortunately. Fans see it as fair game if you qualify for a Wembley final.

We did it when we beat WBA, when we beat Derby and I also remember a few years back against Blackburn. None of those times were for winning anything.

Just now, ender4 said:

Please just don't invade the pitch after any game.  

It takes away from the celebration of the players, who would have stayed on the pitch to celebrate.   Instead they had to run to the tunnel to get away from the crowds. 

Couple of people called up to Talksport after the game to make this point. It would have been great to have a celebration with the players and staff and a bit of sing-song. Instead vast majority had to sprint to safety.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yeah we really should stop doing it, irrespective of whether it’s good natured or not there are just too many sick minded people out there to ensure safety.

I could see loads of people (kids mainly) running up to the Leicester players obviously shouting obscenities into their faces.  I was expecting to see a kick or a punch thrown but then they were engulfed in the mob, sounds like some slaps and the like were aimed at them. 

What a bunch of mindless morons. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I could see loads of people (kids mainly) running up to the Leicester players obviously shouting obscenities into their faces.  In was expecting to see a kick or a punch thrown but then they were engulfed in the mob, sounds like some slaps and the like were aimed at them. 

What a bunch of mindless morons. 

I thought it was bad enough for our own players to be honest, I mean I’m sure that initially they love it, you saw Nyland and Trez lapping it up but then equally, Trez looked pissed off and a bit scared when trying to get off the pitch, and it would be intimidating having thousands of people trying to grab, touch, kiss and manhandle you.

People just don’t think.

• Like 2

Little OT  , but did anyone see the  young  kid try to do a pitch invasion at the citeh game last night ? ref blew for a foul and he thought the game was over  and came running on the pitch :)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

people (kids mainly)

yeah as i was leaving you could see youngsters rushing down from the upper tiers trying to get down to the pitch area  , mainly all school age , but still a few years older than the team Liverpool fielded against us in the earlier round

• Haha 4

it is a bit small time and looks absolutely terrifying to be a player in the middle of it. However, I would think that a part of the FA realises that it shows a passion and validates the league cup as a competition. It has been maligned in the past with some people calling it a mickey mouse cup or whatever and questioning its importance..

Personally I will only call it a mickey mouse cup if we get beat in the final

• Haha 1

I was watching the cup game on Sky, but had to think about turning the channel over as soon as I saw people running onto the pitch. So small time. Wish it would stop. 

The players have just played a full match, they really don't want to be crowded and touched by random blokes, having to pose for stupid selfies. 

It needs to be stopped. it's embarrassing. 

• Like 2

Â