Pre-Match Thread

Ouchmefoot

6 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

When I breath my last breaths, I don't want to recount how many seasons we spent in the Premier League.

What I do want to do is spend thirty seconds or so remembering when Jack grabbed the trophy and lifted it above his head.

It's that simple.

Bingo

In 10 years we won't give a shit about spending another season or two in the championship

We've been waiting 25 years for another trophy. We might be waiting another 25 years for all we know.

I think if it relegated us to League 2 I'd honestly still choose lifting the cup. **** it :D 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Bingo

In 10 years we won't give a shit about spending another season or two in the championship

We've been waiting 25 years for another trophy. We might be waiting another 25 years for all we know.

I think if it relegated us to League 2 I'd honestly still choose lifting the cup. **** it :D 

I don't think I will ever agree with you as much as I do right in this moment 😁

• Like 1

I just want us to go out there and fight till the end, not be overawed, play to our optimum best and not humiliate ourselves - then what will be will be.

It's ridiculous that Ci£y could play with a front 3 of Mahrez, Jesus and Silva B or Sterling, Aguero and David Silva, and have arguably the third best player in the world pulling the strings from behind - no wonder we have been written off.

Looking at that front 3 got me thinking what's the best CITY team we could face as our opposition 1 to 11 on Sunday to give us a minute chance of victory?  (Not including their U21'S or their women's team 😜).

I'd go - Bravo, Cancelo, Mendy, Stones, Otamendi, Foden, Rodrigo, Gundogan, Sane, Jesus, Zinchenko...

Unfortunately that won't happen, but it's killed 5 minutes at work 😉 

On a side note, I would have to choose survival over silverware and hope to kick on next season with a better squad capable of another cup run.

Gutted I can't get a ticket, but can't wait to hear our support drown out the City fans - Do us proud!

UTV!

If it had been the FA cup it would have been different to me.

This would just barely be above winning the Intertoto Cup. What a glorious day that was back in 2001 :hooray:

And just like the Intertoto cup the Europa spot would be the take away from it.

Still hope we win of course. 

7 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Absolutely buzzing for Wembley tomorrow now.

Should be a good day no matter what, if we can somehow get a result it will be unreal!

Might not be such a good day for you if you arrive 24 hours early though.

• Haha 1

Those lists of the club's honours... a lot of years starting with 18, some starting with 19, nothing starting with 20 (unless you count the Intertoto Cup).  It's trophies that a club's "history" is built on, along with the stories and memories – from players and fans alike – that go with each success. Premier League PLC are very keen for us to forget that. 

• Like 2

I honestly have no idea how Smith will set up for this game. Come to think of it, I'm not even sure how I would set us up.

Do we do the sensible thing and try to defend solidly and catch them on the counter, perhaps playing a 4-5-1/ 5-4-1, or, when City get their almost inevitable goal, will we regret sitting back and wished we'd just gone for it?

Do we try to press them and attack, forcing them to make mistakes and hope for the best that we can nick a goal? Perhaps switching back to a 4-3-3, or going with the 3-4-3 that worked at Leicester? Or is that completely naive and playing into City's hands, resulting in a pummeling?

I'm really not sure what is the best way to approach this game. We probably need a repeat of the heroics from the Leicester games, with every player having a blinder, ESPECIALLY our keeper. We probably need to keep it as tight as we can, even if it means sitting back for the first half just to keep it at 0-0 and frustrate City, and try to attack them on the counter, maybe opening up slightly in the second half if we've still managed to do the unthinkable and keep it goalless!

I think I'd go for something like this:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  Nyland - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Guilbert - - Konsa - - Mings - - Engels - - Targett

- El Ghazi - - - Nakamba - - - Luiz - - - Grealish - 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Samatta - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

But... now that I look at it... That team looks pretty useless in centre-mid :lol:

Whatever we do I sincerely hope we don't put out a in any way shape or form weakened team. I hated when MON did it in Moscow and it would be just as daft an idea this time.

If it's anything that will push ambitious players out the door it's to not going all out to win stuff. It's detrimental to moral, more than any loss could ever be and the rest sitting out a game would provide is not worth it even a little.

Will never forgive MON for his handling of the UEFA cup.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

Reina

Konsa - Engels - Mings

Guilbert                      -                      Targett

Luiz - Nakamba - Hourihane

Grealish

Samatta

Bench: Nyland; Elmohamady; Hause; El Ghazi; Trezeguet; Borjan

Looks a little weird but think this might work. . Our biggest problem with 3 at the back is that we get overrun in midfield. El Ghazi/Trezeguet have also been very hit and miss. Drop them for Hourihane and allow Grealish a free role behind Samatta. Guilbert and Targett to really act as wing backs to give the width. Think this would also create more bodies around the middle of the park and frustrate Man City. I do think that the only realistic chance we have of winning is nicking a free kick and Hourihane scoring it. 

Its a shame that Man City haven't been to China recently and caught the coronovirus... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Reina

Konsa - Engels - Mings

Guilbert                      -                      Targett

Luiz - Nakamba - Hourihane

Grealish

Samatta

Bench: Nyland; Elmohamady; Hause; El Ghazi; Trezeguet; Borjan

Looks a little weird but think this might work. . Our biggest problem with 3 at the back is that we get overrun in midfield. El Ghazi/Trezeguet have also been very hit and miss. Drop them for Hourihane and allow Grealish a free role behind Samatta. Guilbert and Targett to really act as wing backs to give the width. Think this would also create more bodies around the middle of the park and frustrate Man City. I do think that the only realistic chance we have of winning is nicking a free kick and Hourihane scoring it. 

Its a shame that Man City haven't been to China recently and caught the coronovirus... 

I'd actually agree with all of that. Except for the last line of course! 

Not sure Guibert or Konsa deserve to start after Southampton. I can only assume Guilbert wasnt fit so that might effect things. I'd drop Konsa for Engels because that performance was unacceptable in my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'll be turning off my TV after 40 minutes when Man City is 4-0 up

True fan 🙌🏻

At least we’ve made progress from you not even bothering to watch it a few days ago. 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, villaglint said:

I'd actually agree with all of that. Except for the last line of course! 

Not sure Guibert or Konsa deserve to start after Southampton. I can only assume Guilbert wasnt fit so that might effect things. I'd drop Konsa for Engels because that performance was unacceptable in my opinion. 

Possibly, but I think I prefer them over Elmohamady/Hause and I don't think there are any other options! 

I would almost be tempted to put Barry on the bench on the simple basis of the unknown quantity. He strikes me as a player with no fear and actually could be that unexpected factor. Don't think he has been training with the 1st team though and there are no real noises of it so don't expect it. Would be a real wildcard choice though. 

It's no surprise we're doing better in LC than in PL since in LC there's no pressure. Our team is mentally weak, but somewhat talented. No pressure has lead us to the final. In the final we can expect unfortunately the nerves to kick in, but I still have hope and I'm looking forward to the game very much. Highlight of our season, whatever happens.