Generic Virus Thread

villakram

An article in the Financial Times today looks at why Germany has so few deaths per the numbers of infected people compared with other countries.

The reason put forward is that Germany is testing people at an enormous rate, testing more than even South Korea. Hence, they are finding all the young people who have it, even those not showing symptoms.

So whilst Germany might be reporting the 4th highest number of cases in the world right now there is a good chance that is close to all the cases in the country, and the number of deaths reflect that. Most other countries might be reporting less cases but they actually have far far more than Germany and are seeing more deaths as a result.

• Like 2

Can't believe it. Been repeatedly trying to get a delivery from Morissons online. Been on several times today and suddenly a delivery slot appeared for tomorrow night.  It's the ONLY place I can by my favourite cans of beer so I have ordered 15 packs of Wainwright's Golden Ale, one 9 pack of toilet roll, one pack of paracetamol and 2 carex hand washes. 

I feel bad about stockpiling the Wainwrights but I've got to look after number one on that front, no prospect of ever getting more elsewhere. Someone is going to have to put up with Hobgoblin Gold or something. 

4 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Rishi Sunak is a really impressive speaker and makes the the man to his left look well out of his depth in comparison.

Yes, I've been very impressed with him so far.  Especially when he's taken the job from hell with zero experience leading up to the crisis. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

An article in the Financial Times today looks at why Germany has so few deaths per the numbers of infected people compared with other countries.

The reason put forward is that Germany is testing people at an enormous rate, testing more than even South Korea. Hence, they are finding all the young people who have it, even those not showing symptoms.

So whilst Germany might be reporting the 4th highest number of cases in the world right now there is a good chance that is close to all the cases in the country, and the number of deaths reflect that. Most other countries might be reporting less cases but they actually have far far more than Germany and are seeing more deaths as a result.

A different article I read suggested that the lower German mortality rate is due to their first wave of infections being reasonable young  fit and healthy Germans who were away in Italy at ski resorts when the outbreak started  .. their expectation is still that the mortality rate will spike heavily 

the other interesting thing in Germany is Hotels were cleared and set up as hospitals for the less critically ill non-Covid-19 patients, clearing  beds in  hospitals for Covid-19 patients  to get treatment 

Edited by tonyh29

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19/covid-19-support-for-businesses?fbclid=IwAR05nIlkqTjBKVX3Bw9poOy8n14nCevJCP9MkqAWV9478G7KGWDsY1uUYT8

Updated guidelines 

The Chancellor has set out a package of temporary, timely and targeted measures to support public services, people and businesses through this period of disruption caused by COVID-19.

This includes a package of measures to support businesses including:

• a Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme
  • deferring VAT and Income Tax payments
  • a Statutory Sick Pay relief package for SMEs
  • a 12-month business rates holiday for all retail, hospitality and leisure businesses in England
  • small business grant funding of £10,000 for all business in receipt of small business rate relief or rural rate relief
  • grant funding of £25,000 for retail, hospitality and leisure businesses with property with a rateable value between £15,000 and £51,000
  • the Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme offering loans of up to £5 million for SMEs through the British Business Bank
  • a new lending facility from the Bank of England to help support liquidity among larger firms, helping them bridge coronavirus disruption to their cash flows through loans
  • the HMRC Time To Pay Scheme

Despite my situation of genuinely fearing i was heading towards being one of the numbers a couple of days back, it's still kinda staggering that 10,000, mostly old people dying over a 2 month+ period has landed us with the world as it currently is. Despite the chaos it is causing the numbers are still pretty much miniscule, There are league 2 teams that get that many people through the turnstiles and even as a percentage of the population of a large city it still isn't even an awful lot of people yet pretty much the whole world is either confined to their house, or soon to be confined to their house for an indefinite period of time and governments are now paying people not to go to work. Mind boggling really

Edited by LakotaDakota

1 minute ago, Xela said:

What a week! Not over for some people either and others will be working all weekend. We've seen the very best of the UK this week. A lot of people have put in huge shifts and grafted their bits off to help and assist people during this crisis. Our great NHS staff at the frontline, carers, supermarket check out staff, the pharmacy workers, the shopkeepers, the shelf stackers, the delivery drivers getting supplies to where they need to be, staff at the distribution centres making sure the trucks are loaded up, the order pickers etc.

Not just those, but office/clerical staff going the extra mile; HMRC staff dealing with vast amounts of queries and even my fellow workers in financial services. I know we get a bad rap but colleagues in my department have put some long days in this week, not for overtime as that isn't available, but because they care and are trying to keep businesses afloat by restructuring debt and implementing payment holidays and extending loans and trade facilities for affected clients. A  lot of them, me included, will be logging on this weekend. 

There are no doubt countless other professions i have forgotten to mention but each one deserves upmost respect. Stories on here of people helping elderly neighbours and vulnerable people by doing their shopping really warms the heart. In the midst of a crisis, the majority have come together and put political and other differences behind them to work together to get through this. 

Well done everyone! :cheers:

Well said, Sir! 

• Thanks 1

This was Shaftesbury Avenue an hour ago. For those s not familiar, that big sign on the left is Les Mis. Never seen London like it. Just a ghost town. The only people about are the homeless. 

E7FEA12E-3926-411F-A8DC-E703B5A92D65.png

Edited by choffer

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

A different article I read suggested that the lower German mortality rate is due to their first wave of infections being reasonable young  fit and healthy Germans who were away in Italy at ski resorts when the outbreak started  .. their expectation is still that the mortality rate will spike heavily 

I thought they'd actually traced the initial Italian outbreak back to Germany weeks ago?

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Stereotype alert

It would be like we are all on benefits except we can’t go down the pub and squander our money 

I don't think so I think it's fair comment.  Most people will spend a lot less money when isolating.  I am very fortunate in that I can 100% work from home.  My income will be completely unaffected for which I am hugely grateful. 

But I've been thinking about all the money I'm going to save.  Train pass is cancelled, petrol money will drastically reduce, I eat sandwiches everyday in town, my kids spend shit loads in school canteens. Meals out and takeaways.   Buying shit in shops that you really don't need. Pub rounds. 

I think I would easily be better off even on 80% of salary. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Xela said:

What a week! Not over for some people either and others will be working all weekend. We've seen the very best of the UK this week. A lot of people have put in huge shifts and grafted their bits off to help and assist people during this crisis. Our great NHS staff at the frontline, carers, supermarket check out staff, the pharmacy workers, the shopkeepers, the shelf stackers, the delivery drivers getting supplies to where they need to be, staff at the distribution centres making sure the trucks are loaded up, the order pickers etc.

Not just those, but office/clerical staff going the extra mile; HMRC staff dealing with vast amounts of queries and even my fellow workers in financial services. I know we get a bad rap but colleagues in my department have put some long days in this week, not for overtime as that isn't available, but because they care and are trying to keep businesses afloat by restructuring debt and implementing payment holidays and extending loans and trade facilities for affected clients. A  lot of them, me included, will be logging on this weekend. 

There are no doubt countless other professions i have forgotten to mention but each one deserves upmost respect. Stories on here of people helping elderly neighbours and vulnerable people by doing their shopping really warms the heart. In the midst of a crisis, the majority have come together and put political and other differences behind them to work together to get through this. 

Well done everyone! :cheers:

I echo every word of this. BUT... it's only the start, and it's going to go on getting tougher and tougher. They/we are going to have to keep that effort up for months on end. And many will get ill and die. People are comparing this to wartime. I think it may be harder - and more dangerous. 

• Like 1

Self isolation is absolutely the right guidance if you feel that you have been exposed to, or have any symptoms of the virus. But if you'd have asked me 2 weeks ago to guess who would be the first 2 blokes to chuck in the Corona card I'd have staked a large amount of money on the very 2 that have done so this week. 

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I don't think so I think it's fair comment.  Most people will spend a lot less money when isolating.  I am very fortunate in that I can 100% work from home.  My income will be completely unaffected for which I am hugely grateful. 

But I've been thinking about all the money I'm going to save.  Train pass is cancelled, petrol money will drastically reduce, I eat sandwiches everyday in town, my kids spend shit loads in school canteens. Meals out and takeaways.   Buying shit in shops that you really don't need. Pub rounds. 

I think I would easily be better off even on 80% of salary. 

Probably saving 300-400 a month not going to villa! 

Just to be a bit more doom and gloom - what happens when the next 'bad thing' starts? I mean shit like bush fires, flooding, eathquakes, mass shootings, etc. These things dominate the news when they happen, but you'd think there was absolutely NOTHING else going on in the world except The Pandemic atm. 

Edited by mjmooney

24 minutes ago, bickster said:

I thought they'd actually traced the initial Italian outbreak back to Germany weeks ago?

the Webasto link ? There  doesn’t seem to be a conclusive  answer on this and I’ve seen suggestions they weren’t patient zero 

dunno is the honest answer , but I guess ,  with Rome’s first deaths being 2 Chinese tourists that the Italians got infected by numerous sources ... 

However , 70% of all reported cases in Germany remain among the young, between the ages of 20 and 50 and that one reason how  RKI have come up with Italian ski results as a likely source i guess 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I echo every word of this. BUT... it's only the start, and it's going to go on getting tougher and tougher. They/we are going to have to keep that effort up for months on end. And many will get ill and die. People are comparing this to wartime. I think it may be harder - and more dangerous. 

I keep hearing people “I’m fed up of this”. I feel like shaking them, this is nothing, it hasn’t started yet. It’s going to get bloody brutal. All the data suggests we will go full lockdown, for weeks or months on end. There will be thousands of deaths. 

• Like 3

Â