Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Meanwhile:

“A table for six? No, sir, that is against the Covid-19 restrictions … unless you promise that your party will discuss business, not pleasure.”

Some of London’s fanciest restaurants have discovered a loophole in the tier-2 coronavirus lockdowns restrictions designed to prevent households from mixing and thereby slow the spread of the virus.

An exemption that the government included in the rules to allow freelancers to work over lunch is being exploited by high-end restaurants encouraging up to 30 people to dine together as long as “the topic is business”.

Caprice Holdings, the restaurant empire run by multimillionaire Richard Caring, emailed loyal clients this week to invite them to make bookings that appear to break the single-household rule.

“We wish to make it clear – when the topic is business, you can still meet over a fabulous working lunch or dinner without the restriction of the ‘single household rule’, ie mixed households are permitted up to six guests,” the email said. “We can host up to 30 people within our private dining spaces for business meetings.”

The Cinnamon Club, popular with politicians and lobbyists due to its location near the Palace of Westminster, said: “It’s become clear that if you are coming down to our restaurants for business purposes, you can meet over lunch or dinner without the ‘single household’ restriction and this is permitted for up to six guests.”

...more

Gloucestershire Police will be patrolling the Welsh Border, stopping people leaving Wales and ”encouraging” them to turn around, despite them having no powers regarding Welsh Law

Police to stop drivers leaving Wales during 'firebreak' lockdown despite lack of enforcement powers

Officers in England will ‘encourage drivers to turn around’ because they cannot enforce Welsh laws 

Indy

UK 7 day average is over 21,000 cases per day.

When will we start to see the impact of the latest restrictions?

Italy going into a lockdown tomorrow with less cases and deaths than we have here.

Edited by Genie

18 hours ago, snowychap said:

Look it's quite simple:

"We are testing far too much.If we didn't test, then our infection rate figures would be great."

This is the 'leaders' of the US & the UK's  argument.  Or am I wrong?

Please explain to me that I've misunderstood and they aren't imbecilic morons spouting anything to give the appearance that they know what they're doing.

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Look it's quite simple:

"We are testing far too much.If we didn't test, then our infection rate figures would be great."

This is the 'leaders' of the US & the UK's  argument.  Or am I wrong?

Please explain to me that I've misunderstood and they aren't imbecilic morons spouting anything to give the appearance that they know what they're doing.

The tracing part is the bit that has coming under fire as being a complete waste of money. I think this is what he’s trying to get at, but missing. £12b is the total cost of all the testing and the app/tracing element that has been a disaster. *I think* he was trying to make the point it’s not all money down the drain on the failed attempts at contact tracing. 

Edited by Genie

Test and trace is next to impossible with the numbers of cases in the U.K.  When you start running through every person’s contacts for the previous week the numbers quickly get out of hand.

Not only that, the people in the U.K. have a natural aversion to telling some sort of authority details of all their movements and contacts in a way that seems to not be an issue in some East Asian countries. 

I think it’s pretty unlikely the U.K. will ever see a successful track and trace program. 

• Like 1

Â