Generic Virus Thread

villakram

23 minutes ago, Genie said:

As long as we stop people visiting Ibiza and keep going to America, Brazil and India instead we’ll be fine.

All three of those countries are on the quarantine list just like Spain, so I'm not sure what point you're making. Full list of exempted countries

Austria

Andorra

Belgium

Croatia

Cyprus

Czech Republic

Denmark

Estonia

Finland

France (overseas territories of France are listed separately, where included in the exemption)

Germany....

and these were added today

• Estonia
  • Latvia
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • St Vincent and the Grenadines

• Thanks 1

The lad had football training tonight and I was picking up a chinese takeaway on the way home. Had 15 minutes to kill so popped into a shop to grab the boy a drink. 
It was uneventful, drink bought, drink drank, no problem.

Now at 22:39 I’ve realised neither of us were wearing a mask 😣

Hong Kong warning of being overwhelmed again... European countries that handled the first wave fairly well ramping up restrictions again as cases bounce up again...

I imagine we'll be doing nothing.

Good time to invest in the coffin industry though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villakram said:

Covid19 infection =! Covid19 death

Importance: Covid19 death >> covid19 infection

Panic, panic, panic...

You really should do a bit more research.

Firstly in the short term Covid-19 infection, has the possibility of swamping hospital ICUs in a spike, its not just about the COVIS deaths its about others too

Secondly there are many reports of longer term effects from COVID-19 infections. Lots of different effects that are much more long term than a 2 or 3 week illness, some may not be reversible

You really do seem to have treated this more flipantly than it deserves, it really isn't just about deaths (which are under-reported worldwide anyway) and assuming everyone else fully recovers, they don't

1 minute ago, bickster said:

You really should do a bit more research.

Firstly in the short term Covid-19 infection, has the possibility of swamping hospital ICUs in a spike, its not just about the COVIS deaths its about others too

Secondly there are many reports of longer term effects from COVID-19 infections. Lots of different effects that are much more long term than a 2 or 3 week illness, some may not be reversible

You really do seem to have treated this more flipantly than it deserves, it really isn't just about deaths (which are under-reported worldwide anyway) and assuming everyone else fully recovers, they don't

It is very, very difficult to under-report deaths.

It is very difficult to measure the infection rate.

Longer term effects are not well constrained at the current time. Please compare to the flu, which will leave people feeling a little off for months afterwards for most moderate infections.  That an infection like this has longer term effects is not surprising but not something to think all apocalyptic about. I would also point to the big buzz around Hashimoto syndrome in children a few weeks back, which turns out to have been a false alarm. 

The outbreaks now are much less serious than those that occurred earlier in Wuhan/N. Italy/NYC, with much lower ICU utilization as evidenced in Florida/California/Texas over here right now. Of course, it help that we have stopped placing sick people in old folks homes, but let's pretend that episode didn't happen. Can't have any politicos being held responsible can we.

It is really about deaths. That is why we have gone into lockdowns globally.

9 minutes ago, villakram said:

It is very, very difficult to under-report deaths.

We aren't talking about under reporting deaths we are talking about under-reporting deaths from a particular cause. It's easy, every country in the world appears to have been doing it. Thoughn China, Uk and USA appear to be in the medal positions with Brazil strongly contending

10 minutes ago, villakram said:

It is very difficult to measure the infection rate.

Agreed, but it's pretty much guaranteed to be vastly under-reported

I’m a civil servant. We were planning for a second spike in January 2021 caused by Christmas and winter.  That then moved to November.  We’re now working on October.  

But the government seem determined to avoid a national lockdown even if that means imposing lockdowns in cities and not rural areas.  We’ve been discussing what “easements” need to be abandoned and what restrictions need to be reimposed.  But the big change from March 2020 is that we are working on geographic variances. 

I am finding this a bit scary.  In one breath the government is gradually relaxing restrictions.  But behind the scenes we’re all working on plans for a second spike that’s going to be worse than the first.  I am a big believer in “Plan for the worst” but at the moment it feels like we are doing that because it’s the most likely scenario.  

3 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I’m a civil servant. We were planning for a second spike in January 2021

Well when you've all made your minds up about when to release the second spike, maybe give us the nod, yeah? 'Cus we weren't ready last time - and maybe talk to the government, because they were even less ready...or maybe just do a trial run on them - 2 birds, one stone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Well when you've all made your minds up about when to release the second spike, maybe give us the nod, yeah? 'Cus we weren't ready last time - and maybe talk to the government, because they were even less ready...or maybe just do a trial run on them - 2 birds, one stone.

The government didn’t have a clue last time.  It was utter chaos.  A few weeks earlier Boris was shaking hands with COVID patients at a hospital.  Anyone who thinks we’ve done a decent job reacting to COVID is deluded.  It’s been a failure in so many levels. 

• Like 2

The community nurses here are expecting it back with the flu season.

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Anyone who thinks we’ve done a decent job reacting to COVID is deluded.  It’s been a failure in so many levels. 

Tunnel vision! Cummings' mates are rolling in million$ of lovely public money, all heading towards tax havens.

Brexit next! Yay :D 

Eton's taking back control. They'll sort Covid and Scotland.

8 hours ago, bickster said:

We aren't talking about under reporting deaths we are talking about under-reporting deaths from a particular cause. It's easy, every country in the world appears to have been doing it. Thoughn China, Uk and USA appear to be in the medal positions with Brazil strongly contending

Agreed, but it's pretty much guaranteed to be vastly under-reported

I think Russia are one of the biggest contenders for under reporting deaths. The way they report seems to be down to if there’s an underlying illness they can pin it on instead the death is reported as that and only when there is nothing else they can find does it become a COVID death. It’s pretty much the opposite of Belgium’s approach where every time a person dies who happens to have also had the virus they are recorded in their COVID death statistics. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

I think Russia are one of the biggest contenders for under reporting deaths. The way they report seems to be down to if there’s an underlying illness they can pin it on instead the death is reported as that and only when there is nothing else they can find does it become a COVID death. It’s pretty much the opposite of Belgium’s approach where every time a person dies who happens to have also had the virus they are recorded in their COVID death statistics. 

Yep, , they should be in the list too, definitely

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Russia also apparently have a vaccine close to approval, but there’s a lot of scepticism about it.

43 minutes ago, Genie said:

Russia also apparently have a vaccine close to approval, but there’s a lot of scepticism about it.

It'll be fine. 

If you already had a pair of hairy bollocks?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Pharmaceutical companies in every country reckon they are so close to a vaccine, they all just need another few hundred million from their governments to continue their work 😁

• Like 2

Â