Generic Virus Thread

villakram

47 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Well I read all of it - I had some spare time - and yes I'm still confused. Best to call it quits!

That's fine but please don't try and misrepresent what I have said by 'asking a question' about whether it's about trusting vaccines especially as you claim to have read the post that I requoted from the other day.

For clarification (and as one last effort), what I wrote means that I am not someone who doesn't trust vaccines. Questioning the speeding up of the procedures for one specific vaccine and the implications for the safety of that vaccine does not mean that someone doesn't 'trust vaccines', it simply means that one is looking for evidence and clear indications (reassurances from the wider scientific community/authorities that are more than just platitudes) that this has not adversely affected safety assessments and, if it necessarily has (i.e. long term implications were not able to be looked at), just what level of risk that poses (e.g. is it minimal and if claimed to be so, why?).

The basic point is that if the consensus is that these things take the length of time that they normally do for a reason (or for reasons) and even if the process is really sped up then 12-18 months is a quick timescale (the kind of comments repeated by Faucci and many others especially in response to demands or suiggestions that vaccines could be available almost immediately), there ought to be more questions (than usual or seem to be the case here) asked of the process by which a vaccine is produced in a much, much shorter time period.

Questioning the specific output of a process that has been accelerated and amended from its usual form is not questioning the whole process of and output from vaccination efforts. In fact, it's rather the reverse - it's saying that we have these things in place to try to ensure (as much as is possible - there can always be things that happen even with the best processes and procedures) that the vaccinations that we have are as effective and safe for people as possible: this particular instance of the process has been a lot quicker than normal, how confident are we that this hasn't been of detriment to the standard of the usual output from the process?

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

Soccer club I work for is getting back on the fields June 1. Heavily restricted, but back none the less.

The club I hang around was knocked out of the Welsh Cup in the first round without scoring a goal.

The competition has just been cancelled and we’ve been given the Europa League place reserved for the winner.

It’s a funny old game.

• Like 3

Also just reading Egypt have planned to deduct 1% of every working persons person's salary. Wonder if they will implement something like this over here to pay for the financial mess we are in?

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

The express saying a new of covid 19 with different symptoms is mutating in china. God help us if true. 

I said months ago certain papers would be running stories of "the next covid-19" breaking and being more deadly than the last. It was entirely predictable the way they prey on the vulnerable.

The Express will be dining out on this for years. Diana and Health are their favourite front pages. 

Oh and the weather of course. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

Just now, Seat68 said:

The Express will be dining out on this for years. Diana and Health are their favourite front pages. 

Oh and the weather of course. 

Beat me to it.

Friday is usually headline bingo day in the Express:

Killer Hurricane Weather Bomb Of Cancer Set To Destroy Diana Grave This Weekend - Corbyn Doesn’t Give A Shit - Secret Snaps Revealed!

I think that’s covered most Express stories.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Also just reading Egypt have planned to deduct 1% of every working persons person's salary. Wonder if they will implement something like this over here to pay for the financial mess we are in?

By this, do you mean that the Egyptian government have raised the rate of income tax? Or something else?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52754280

Coronavirus: Immune clue sparks treatment hope

UK scientists are to begin testing a treatment that it is hoped could counter the effects of Covid-19 in the most seriously ill patients.

It has been found those with the most severe form of the disease have extremely low numbers of an immune cell called a T-cell. 

T-cells clear infection from the body.

The clinical trial will evaluate if a drug called interleukin 7, known to boost T-cell numbers, can aid patients' recovery.

It involves scientists from the Francis Crick Institute, King's College London and Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital.

They have looked at immune cells in the blood of 60 Covid-19 patients and found an apparent crash in the numbers of T-cells. 

Prof Adrian Hayday from the Crick Institute said it was a "great surprise" to see what was happening with the immune cells.

"They're trying to protect us, but the virus seems to be doing something that's pulling the rug from under them, because their numbers have declined dramatically.

In a microlitre (0.001ml) drop of blood, normal healthy adults have between 2,000 and 4,000 T-cells, also called T lymphocytes. 

The Covid patients the team tested had between 200-1,200. 

'Extremely encouraging'

The researchers say these findings pave the way for them to develop a "fingerprint test" to check the levels of T-cells in the blood which could provide early indications of who might go on to develop more severe disease. 

But it also provides the possibility for a specific treatment to reverse that immune cell decline.

30 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

By this, do you mean that the Egyptian government have raised the rate of income tax? Or something else?

Egypt to deduct 1% from workers' salaries

The Egyptian government has announced a raft of financial measures to help pay for the economic damage caused by the pandemic.

Under a new draft law, every working Egyptian will have 1% deduced from their pay while the elderly will have a half percent cut from their pensions.

The measures will be introduced for a year from July. People with a monthly income of less than $125 (£102) will be exempt.

People who work in tourism, which has been particularly badly affected, may also be excluded.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thanks. It's a weirdly worded way to refer to a temporary income tax increase.

On a different subject, absolutely horrifying to see the BBC's Economics Correspondent running with a pro-austerity message elsewhere in the feed on that page:

How will we pay for the economic damage?

'For the last decade, the government had been trying to practise strict financial housekeeping, aiming for a position where it could cover day-to-day spending with taxes and eliminate the deficit.

But then the crisis hit - and the chancellor claims the schemes put in place have provided a lifeline to millions and prevented an even bigger economic disaster. It was worth ripping up the rulebook for, he said.

But the bills are mounting.

Government borrowing surged to £62bn in April, the highest monthly figure on record.

This year's deficit could be the equivalent of the biggest slice of our income since the World War Two - and that hole needs plugging

So how will we pay for it? We've looked at the different approaches in the above video.'

from: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52765196?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5ec78ffb0036390663cfe6da%26How will we pay for the economic damage%3F%262020-05-22T10%3A28%3A11.654Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:76db82f3-1cd0-4d66-a2f8-77c898c48660&pinned_post_asset_id=5ec78ffb0036390663cfe6da&pinned_post_type=share

I would strongly advise people not to watch 'the above video' at the link if they don't want to encounter such dramatic effects as a siren blaring while the word 'deficit' flashes on the screen, and a crying baby while she talks about how 'our grandchildren' will have to pay for the borrowing (no, I'm not joking). I actually think I might write and complain about this drivel.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Thanks. It's a weirdly worded way to refer to a temporary income tax increase.

On a different subject, absolutely horrifying to see the BBC's Economics Correspondent running with a pro-austerity message elsewhere in the feed on that page:

How will we pay for the economic damage?

'For the last decade, the government had been trying to practise strict financial housekeeping, aiming for a position where it could cover day-to-day spending with taxes and eliminate the deficit.

But then the crisis hit - and the chancellor claims the schemes put in place have provided a lifeline to millions and prevented an even bigger economic disaster. It was worth ripping up the rulebook for, he said.

But the bills are mounting.

Government borrowing surged to £62bn in April, the highest monthly figure on record.

This year's deficit could be the equivalent of the biggest slice of our income since the World War Two - and that hole needs plugging

So how will we pay for it? We've looked at the different approaches in the above video.'

from: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52765196?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5ec78ffb0036390663cfe6da%26How will we pay for the economic damage%3F%262020-05-22T10%3A28%3A11.654Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:76db82f3-1cd0-4d66-a2f8-77c898c48660&pinned_post_asset_id=5ec78ffb0036390663cfe6da&pinned_post_type=share

I would strongly advise people not to watch 'the above video' at the link if they don't want to encounter such dramatic effects as a siren blaring while the word 'deficit' flashes on the screen, and a crying baby while she talks about how 'our grandchildren' will have to pay for the borrowing (no, I'm not joking). I actually think I might write and complain about this drivel.

I think income tax will definitely go up as one of the measures just to be clear 😁

3 hours ago, limpid said:

I don't believe this. The banks were bailed out to the tune of £500bn within a few months. Perhaps they put it in a column in the spreadsheet with a different name.

Actually this is a fairly common misconception - the vast majority of the £500bn was in the form of guarantees where they agreed to cover only in the event of default. It was to underpin the system to provide security and not a cash injection. Most of it was actually never needed in the pure sense, but it did stop the panic.

5 hours ago, Genie said:

I said months ago certain papers would be running stories of "the next covid-19" breaking and being more deadly than the last. It was entirely predictable the way they prey on the vulnerable.

Funny you should say that. 

For the first time ever, I was just talking to the neighbour who lives in the house behind mine. We were talking about home-schooling our kids and the joys of it etc. He then said how he is OK right now because he works for a private health company who have 31 hospitals all currently leased out to the government right now. He said the govt have all their beds, ICU's and ventilators etc. He said that govt has extended it until the 31st of July yet they don't have a single person using their facilities. 

The neighbour also told me his wife works at a Birmingham hospital where there are 800 empty beds right now. He said that a colleague from another private Trust group said the government also has all their hospitals etc until the 31st of July. 

The guy went on to say that the government currently has around 35,000 beds at its disposal ready for Covid-19 patients. He said that the suspicion is that the govt is now preparing itself for the second wave. 

I’ll very happily be shocked if there isn’t a second wave of cases/deaths. The 36k (and the rest) we’re at now is despite of social distancing restrictions. The clear lack of care by so many now will surely lead to another spike in the coming months. 

It’s basically the herd immunity plan but with NHS capacity. 

Edited by It's Your Round

Â