Generic Virus Thread

villakram

4 hours ago, Jareth said:

US have ploughed 1 Billion into the Oxford vaccine - results are due soon on early clinical trial - i.e. those results are known by those in charge and it's looking good. 

AstraZeneca Plc received more than $1 billion in U.S. government funding for an experimental Covid-19 vaccine from the University of Oxford, a boost to one of the world’s fastest-moving projects to develop a shot.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-21/astrazeneca-gets-1-billion-from-u-s-to-make-oxford-vaccine?utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business&utm_medium=social&utm_content=business&utm_source=twitter

Is it looking good?

At the end of the Bloomberg article:

Some doubts have been raised about the potential effectiveness of the Oxford vaccine after early results in monkeys were released. While the shot may have protected animals against severe infections, the results were weak compared with those of a test of a vaccine under development by Sinovac Biotech in Beijing, said William Haseltine, a former Harvard University HIV researcher, in a blog post.

And from the Torygraph:

Doubts over Oxford vaccine as it fails to stop coronavirus in animal trials

The Oxford University Vaccine tipped as a "front runner" in the race to develop a coronavirus jab does not stop the virus in monkeys and may only be partially effective, experts have warned.

A trial of the vaccine in rhesus macaque monkeys did not stop the animals from catching the virus and has raised questions about the vaccine's likely human efficacy and ongoing development.

On the upside, none of the vaccinated monkeys displayed pneumonia which suggests that, while not stopping the virus, it may be partially protective.

Dr Haseltine said this was "encouraging", but that "experience with other vaccines tells us that is not a firm guarantee that such will be the case for humans".

"It is crystal clear that the vaccine did not provide sterilising immunity to the virus challenge, the gold standard for any vaccine. It may provide partial protection," he said.

Despite the findings, there is still "cautious optimism" about the Oxford vaccine among some experts.

...more

There is nothing in the public domain at the current time that fits the definition of vaccine. 

Lots of treatments, but zero vaccine.

Also lots of mouthing from various in the for profit medical sector, because they "care". 

You never know in our world whether the pharmaceutical companies are just taking the money. I mean I'm sure they are working towards a vaccine, but probably not as close as they may be making out.

Like they will need more funding, shame these billions dont go into curing Cancer every year. Although we dont wanna find a cure for that do we.........ooops!

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

You never know in our world whether the pharmaceutical companies are just taking the money. I mean I'm sure they are working towards a vaccine, but probably not as close as they may be making out.

Like they will need more funding, shame these billions dont go into curing Cancer every year. Although we dont wanna find a cure for that do we.........ooops!

Makes you wonder what the US are reportedly paying $1b for? I suspect it’s more a down payment on the first batch of the vaccine for its population.

https://unherd.com/2020/05/oxford-doubles-down-sunetra-gupta-interview/

As she sees it, the antibody studies, although useful, do not indicate the true level of exposure or level of immunity. First, many of the antibody tests are “extremely unreliable” and rely on hard-to-achieve representative groups. But more important, many people who have been exposed to the virus will have other kinds of immunity that don’t show up on antibody tests — either for genetic reasons or the result of pre-existing immunities to related coronaviruses such as the common cold.

“In almost every context we’ve seen the epidemic grow, turn around and die away — almost like clockwork. Different countries have had different lockdown policies, and yet what we’ve observed is almost a uniform pattern of behaviour which is highly consistent with the SIR model. To me that suggests that much of the driving force here was due to the build-up of immunity. I think that’s a more parsimonious explanation than one which requires in every country for lockdown (or various degrees of lockdown, including no lockdown) to have had the same effect.”

On the politics of the question, Professor Gupta is clear that she believes that lockdowns are an affront to progressive values:

“So I know there is a sort of libertarian argument for the release of lockdown, and I think it is unfortunate that those of us who feel we should think differently about lockdown have had our voices added to that libertarian harangue. But the truth is that lockdown is a luxury, and it’s a luxury that the middle classes are enjoying and higher income countries are enjoying at the expense of the poor, the vulnerable and less developed countries. It’s a very serious crisis.”

A study on vitamin D supplementation (if anybody has been doing that):

Vitamin D and SARS-CoV-2 virus/COVID-19 disease

'[...]This short original report aims to provide a balanced scientific view on vitamin D and SARS-CoV-2 virus/COVID-19 disease. It provides a succinct summary of the current scientific evidence of associations between vitamin D, influenza, upper respiratory tract infections (URTIs) and immune health. Importantly, the paper concludes with lifestyle strategies for avoiding vitamin D deficiency and ensuring a healthy balanced diet at any time, including during the current pandemic. The overarching messages are as follows: (1) Vitamin D is essential for good health. (2) Many people, particularly those living in northern latitudes (such as the UK, Ireland, Northern Europe, Canada and the northern parts of the USA, northern India and China), have poor vitamin D status, especially in winter or if confined indoors. (3) Low vitamin D status may be exacerbated during this COVID-19 crisis (eg, due to indoor living and hence reduced sun exposure), and anyone who is self-isolating with limited access to sunlight is advised to take a vitamin D supplement according to their government’s recommendations for the general population (ie, 400 IU/day for the UK7 and 600 IU/day for the USA (800 IU for >70 years))8 and the European Union (EU).9 (4) There is no strong scientific evidence to show that very high intakes (ie, mega supplements) of vitamin D will be beneficial in preventing or treating COVID-19. (5) There are evidenced health risks with excessive vitamin D intakes especially for those with other health issues such as a reduced kidney function.'

from: https://nutrition.bmj.com/content/early/2020/05/15/bmjnph-2020-000089

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, snowychap said:

Is it looking good?

At the end of the Bloomberg article:

And from the Torygraph:

Been following the scientist on twitter doing the monkey tests. The doubts raised were an article for Forbes to boost a rival vaccine at big pharma. Upshot is at this stage it has every promise, and they will have human trial data by now albeit unpublished. 

You know how the government set a target of 100,00 daily tests and kept failing apart from the one day they blatantly shifted the goalposts, then set it to 200,00, and kept failing?

image.png.303151e731de7df5415c46db8f95c678.png

Just keep saying big numbers. We will test 1,000,000,000 people.

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Been following the scientist on twitter doing the monkey tests. The doubts raised were an article for Forbes to boost a rival vaccine at big pharma.

I'm sorry but that's hardly an answer.

There is more than just one person raising doubts and asking questions in the articles quoted (the one that you originally referred to and the Torygraph one).

Rubbishing the doubts by saying that the other guy is puishing a different vaccine isn't exactly convincing - given that this guy is obviously pushing his own vaccine.

8 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Upshot is at this stage it has every promise

What does that even mean?

One would imagine that all of the vaccines in trials that haven't completely failed will have 'every promise'.

14 minutes ago, Jareth said:

they will have human trial data by now albeit unpublished

And if doubts are raised about that data will the scientist guy on twitter claim that there's an agenda behind those, too?

I really just wish all of these things would be reported in the light of how they are actuallly happening rather than dressed up to be something that they are not, currently.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Boris letting someone else have a go with the briefing tonight, what a guy.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

God dam hero. 

The extent to which the government are trying to dodge scrutiny is just so craven and pathetic:

I sort of knew they were boycotting those programmes, separately, but it's all the more powerful to see it together like that. Just so cowardly, and the tone is set by the guy at the top.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

I wonder how far along China are with their vaccine, they must be throwing an awful lot of time and money at it.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/scientists-in-china-believe-new-drug-can-stop-pandemic-without-vaccine

BEIJING (AFP) - A Chinese laboratory has been developing a drug it believes has the power to bring the coronavirus pandemic to a halt.

21 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I'm sorry but that's hardly an answer.

There is more than just one person raising doubts and asking questions in the articles quoted (the one that you originally referred to and the Torygraph one).

Rubbishing the doubts by saying that the other guy is puishing a different vaccine isn't exactly convincing - given that this guy is obviously pushing his own vaccine.

What does that even mean?

One would imagine that all of the vaccines in trials that haven't completely failed will have 'every promise'.

And if doubts are raised about that data will the scientist guy on twitter claim that there's an agenda behind those, too?

I really just wish all of these things would be reported in the light of how they are actuallly happening rather than dressed up to be something that they are not, currently.

I think rather than me reinterpreting it's best to look at what this lady has been saying all along since first results were out. She's not selling it to anyone, just reporting on what's happened - how it can't be compared with other vaccine attempts - and how as a first test (to see if would be safe and not backfire) it's as promising as any vaccine. 

Edited by Jareth

48 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I think rather than me reinterpreting it's best to look at what this lady has been saying all along since first results were out. She's not selling it to anyone, just reporting on what's happened - how it can't be compared with other vaccine attempts - and how as a first test (to see if would be safe and not backfire) it's as promising as any vaccine. 

Cheers.

That's a response to that one specific article, what is the response to the other doubts and questions raised by others?

49 minutes ago, Jareth said:

it's as promising as any vaccine.

Indeed, which was rather my point.

Following on from my post earlier today, regarding my son. I followed my doctors advice and went online - govuk - to book a Covid-19 test. I can't believe how easy and quick it was. Booked 3 tests for us as a family, went through pretty quick and got a message earlier to say they'll be here tomorrow. We have to book a collection which will happen in 24 hours and apparently we will know the results in around 48 hours after that. Hopefully, they will all be clear and then I'll go back to work next Tuesday. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Following on from my post earlier today, regarding my son. I followed my doctors advice and went online - govuk - to book a Covid-19 test. I can't believe how easy and quick it was. Booked 3 tests for us as a family, went through pretty quick and got a message earlier to say they'll be here tomorrow. We have to book a collection which will happen in 24 hours and apparently we will know the results in around 48 hours after that. Hopefully, they will all be clear and then I'll go back to work next Tuesday. 

Good luck mate.

People I know that have done them got the results next day.

• Like 1

Â