Jump to content

Generic Virus Thread


villakram
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • VT Supporter
2 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Especially when, according to that ONS graph, the youngest bracket are the most likely. No way does my son go back to school until I am happy that he is safe. 

My daughter is distraught at the idea of her four year old going back to school, and so am I. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mjmooney said:

I think she's going to refuse to send her. 

Is the right answer.

It’s not like it’s GCSE finals or a Uni place is it. I’d be quite confident you guys could sub any education she’d be getting for the last few weeks before summer break arrives anyway.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Is the right answer.

It’s not like it’s GCSE finals or a Uni place is it. I’d be quite confident you guys could sub any education she’d be getting for the last few weeks before summer break arrives anyway.

We've discussed that. Regardless of government 'rules', the missus and I are confident that the safest strategy for the family is for the little 'uns to come to us. We taught our kids to read, we can do it again. But nothing has been settled yet. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

My daughter is distraught at the idea of her four year old going back to school, and so am I. 

My girlfriend's sister is also the teacher's assistant in my son's class and she says the staff are all afraid to go back to bigger classes. She's been in and out of school  helping out with the key worker kids and she said with just a few in class it's hard to keep them apart.

A little boy was sad because he lost his Mom not long ago and he wanted her to hold his hand. She couldn't refuse because she felt so sorry for him and her boss wasn't happy with her for breaking social distancing rules but what do you do in that situation? 

No way is my son going back to school until I feel it is safe. I don't care what the school, authorities or anyone else says. My son is my world and as a parent it's my responsibility through the love and blood that we share to protect him and keep him safe. No idiot in power is going to overrule that. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Is the right answer.

It’s not like it’s GCSE finals or a Uni place is it. I’d be quite confident you guys could sub any education she’d be getting for the last few weeks before summer break arrives anyway.

I took 4 days unpaid leave from work last week to be my son's teacher to help him with his virtual schooling whilst my missus did her "month end" reporting at home. It was difficult to get my son's fullest attention purely because he found the work they do in his year too easy. 

The maths was part-whole stuff and it was sums like 10 as the whole number with a 6 and a missing number which he had to answer. It was way to easy for him. He did that when he was 3 years old. My son is 6 now and said "Dad, it's too easy for me. Can you please give me harder sums to do". I had to raise it up to sums where the whole number was like 87 with a part of 59 and he needed to find the answer of 28, which he did after a little thought but, at least he had to think. That's what we've been doing at home, changing it to suit his ability rather than what he's being set. We told the school and they're fine with it. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Villarocker said:

I took 4 days unpaid leave from work last week to be my son's teacher to help him with his virtual schooling whilst my missus did her "month end" reporting at home. It was difficult to get my son's fullest attention purely because he found the work they do in his year too easy. 

The maths was part-whole stuff and it was sums like 10 as the whole number with a 6 and a missing number which he had to answer. It was way to easy for him. He did that when he was 3 years old. My son is 6 now and said "Dad, it's too easy for me. Can you please give me harder sums to do". I had to raise it up to sums where the whole number was like 87 with a part of 59 and he needed to find the answer of 28, which he did after a little thought but, at least he had to think. That's what we've been doing at home, changing it to suit his ability rather than what he's being set. We told the school and they're fine with it. 

 

My nipper is also off school.

Painted shelves today, and watered the allotment, and made cinnamon swirls, and did the dishes and kept us workers supplied with coffee .

(A levels cancelled, unconditional place at Uni confirmed back in early March)

I could get used to this!

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


For once I'm actually gratefully to be living in Scotland. Schools break at end of June for summer and Sturgeon has made it clear no one is going back in before then. 

Also noticed this Kawasaki syndrome starting to increasing where kids have a very nasty auto-immune reaction after beating Covid. Thing is it can manifest 6 weeks after being initially infected.  It's rare at the moment but I'll be less concerned if its still rare in 6 weeks time.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

The wildlife charity the RSPB says it has been "overrun" by reports of birds of prey being illegally killed since the lockdown started six weeks ago.

Species of raptors (birds of prey) that had been targeted include hen harriers, peregrine falcons, red kites, goshawks, buzzards and a barn owl.

The wildlife charity described the crimes as "orchestrated".

It said the "vast majority" had connections with shooting estates, or land managed for shooting.

Some raptors are known to feed on pheasant and grouse chicks.

The head of the RSPB's investigations unit, Mark Thomas, told the BBC it was like "the Wild West" out in the countryside. He said people who wanted to kill birds of prey had been "emboldened" by the absence of walkers and hikers.

He said the surge correlated exactly with the date the lockdown was imposed.

At this time of year he said that the RSPB would normally be getting three or four reports of the killing of protected bird species each week. They now have three or four reports of a killing each day, and they are coming from across the country.

The wildlife charity alleges that the incidents are overwhelmingly connected with land managed for sport shoots. Raptors prey on bird species that have been specifically reared for be killed for sport, like grouse or pheasant.

Mr Thomas said, "I am genuinely disturbed. in more than 20 years of investigating, I've never seen anything like it. We are having to put ongoing investigations on hold in order to triage all these reports... This isn't youngsters with air rifles but orchestrated wildlife crime."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52667502

:(

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unbelievable by the mail. Makes me so angry, it was only a matter of time before they turned on some part of the public sector. How do they think kids of key workers have been looked after since day one? 

Problem is, there will be thousands of people who get behind it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

"The Mail firmly believes most teachers are better than that.The profession's silent majority know where their duty lies. We urge them to find their voice."

I have a feeling that voice might be saying some words they don't like.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â