Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Thanks for your informative post @HanoiVillan lots of interesting information. I think there is still a gap between “UK has a policy not to treat old people” which was claimed several times and what is actually happening (which is far from good). I know for a fact some old people are being treated and tested. It seems like at more local levels the most frail in the community are being managed differently for several reasons.

No worries, and thanks for taking the post in the spirit it was intended.

I can see the conversation has got a bit heated over the last few pages, but while I haven't been reading too closely, my impression is that people aren't as far apart as it might appear. I think the difference in interpretation here is largely hanging on what people mean or expect by the idea of a 'policy'; it seems to me that you're approaching this with an (understandable) view that a policy is 'something written down or said by someone in a position of authority in plain English and clearly traceable to them', whereas I think other people are approaching it more as 'the cumulative result of changed procedures and actions by involved parties since the start of the crisis', and I think the latter approach is the more logical one. As I say, I don't think there has been discovered a single, smoking gun document that will simply *state* that care home residents should be denied all hospital treatment for coronavirus. I'm not saying such a document doesn't exist, but I don't think that's the right way to look at the issue. What is happening is that many actors in the process - from the Health Secretary to paramedics to care home managers to NHS trust managers - have been cumulatively taking decisions that has led to a situation in which many people who would 'normally' have gone to hospital for a given level of condition are now not going to hospital.

That's my interpretation anyway, people can tell me if I'm wrong.

23 minutes ago, choffer said:

Simple answer is ask my GF. She's an expert and apparently is always correct in her diagnosis of hypochondria (including that time I was hospitalised with a stomach infection). 

I am shitting you not here, its no longer hypochondria. Its called medical anxiety. 
giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29c23f699eb489ba0873

24 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I wonder if this the same as the nudge nudge wink wink private London clinic antibody test that my neighbour the doctor was talking about? 

It probably is , you can buy them now from Roche online for £99.00.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It probably is , you can buy them now from Roche online for £99.00.

I guess my neighbour might get mates' rates. 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I just can't believe we are pushing for schools to open in just over 2 weeks time. 

Especially when, according to that ONS graph, the youngest bracket are the most likely. No way does my son go back to school until I am happy that he is safe. 

22 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Especially when, according to that ONS graph, the youngest bracket are the most likely. No way does my son go back to school until I am happy that he is safe. 

Yep. Why would any parent be desperate for their child to return to school under these circumstances. 

I notice teachers are starting to be attacked on social media now. I never knew so many people cared deeply about children's education, especially those from disadvantaged backgrounds. Yet all of a sudden they do. 

9 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Remember, don't look at each other. No, really, don't look. Stop it! Nnnoooooo. Aaarrgh! You looked at me!

I jest a bit obviously but this does seem a bit silly...

I may be a bit dumb but I assume the idea is that the wind would blow the virus out the window before it can land and passengers can sit in the backseat?  Problem is the car won't always be moving :unsure:

15 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Remember, don't look at each other. No, really, don't look. Stop it! Nnnoooooo. Aaarrgh! You looked at me!

I jest a bit obviously but this does seem a bit silly...

It is the Blackpool Gazette you have quoted, so anything is possible there 

I see the government have been patting themselves on the back again today by stating that in Europe around 50% of deaths had been in care homes but in UK it is around 25%. Even if we brush over the fact that they aren't counting all care home deaths from covid 19, for instance someone from a care home who dies in hospital isn't included in care home figures, then wouldn't the reason why our deaths as a percentage are lower be because we have had way more deaths than any other country in Europe outside of our care homes. Germany have had around 8k deaths so say 50% care homes that is 4k, We have had around 34k deaths so 25% of that is 8.5k so still over twice that of Germany in care homes and almost 7 times the amount they have had outside of care homes. How they can contrive this into a success I don't know.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I see the government have been patting themselves on the back again today by stating than in Europe around 50% of deaths had been in care homes but in UK it is around 25%. Even if we brush over the fact that they aren't counting all care home deaths from covid 19, for instance someone from a care home who dies in hospital isn't included in care home figures, then wouldn't the reason why our deaths as a percentage are lower be because we have had way more deaths than any other country in Europe outside of our care homes. Germany have had around 8k deaths so say 50% care homes that is 4k, We have had around 34k deaths so 25% of that is 8.5k so still over twice that of Germany in care homes and almost 7 times the amount they have had outside of care homes. How they can contrive this into a success I don't know.

Ah so it's meaningful to make comparisons with other countries again now, because a stat can be twisted to make it seem like we're doing relatively well when we're actually not? Of course.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Financial Times appear to be saying the real death toll so far is more like 60,000, can't link to it obvs and I'm not paying for it

For some reason you can read any Financial Times article, provided you put the heading into google and click on it through there. Makes a bit of a mockery of their paywall. 

• Thanks 2

Â