Generic Virus Thread

villakram

45 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Personally I cannot see the pay freeze happening unless there is a drastic increase in salary and then frozen for 2 years. I think the government realise that the public appreciate the NHS and there would be a National outcry if this was to happen. I don't think they can risk the backlash before another election. 

I agree with most about Rishi however like some have pointed out the hard part comes when he wants to take money off people and businesses rather than handing it out.

On another note i now refuse to watch any briefing led by Hancock, an absolute word removed

If Mps wanted the respect of the public they should all freeze mps pay increases and donate them to public service workers. 

• Like 1

Quality assurance procedures have been undertaken throughout all stages of the analysis to minimise the risk of error. As an additional step, we have compared some of the data reported here with some of the data being reported in national and local media sources. We found good comparability, with our data appearing to account for most of, if not more than, the numbers of deaths being reported elsewhere (Table 1).

Table 1: Numbers of deaths involving COVID-19, comparing number of deaths web scraped from national and regional media websites and ONS death registration numbers in this release
  Web scraped numbers ONS death registration numbers
Occupation Number aged 20 to 64 years Number where age was unavailable Number aged 20 to 64 years
Health and social care professions      
Ambulance services 4 2 6
Medical doctors 14 3 11
Nurses and midwives 27 9 41
Care and support staff 26 13 125

Non health and social care professions      
Transport occupations 9 10 30

Source: National and regional media websites and Office for National Statistics

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/causesofdeath/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19relateddeathsbyoccupationenglandandwales/latest

Really dry but interesting page from the ONS website. The graph from the BBC I quoted yesterday about deaths by occupation is on here in a little more detail than in the media including the confidence intervals. Amongst other things.

I thought this was interesting as the ONS has scraped data from the media to compare with its own figures as in the above table. Hard not to instantly notice the difference in the care sector.

• Like 1

Lets see whats going on new york hospitals allegedly

New York

And in London

IMG-20200513-WA0004.jpg

People can blame the government as they have been a utter shambles but it cant be ignored when you have morons like this basically promoting spread of covid 19

Edited by Demitri_C

24 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Re the discussion about Sunak and Hancock:

It's very interesting to see how people's perceptions are guided by the public-facing roles ministers play. Inevitable, I suppose, but rather misleading at times. About two weeks ago, when the papers were reporting on the government debating about easing the lockdown, they noted that the cabinet were largely split into 'hawks' who wanted to end the lockdown early, accompanied by faster reductions in financial support, and 'doves' who wanted to move more slowly on both fronts. The most prominent hawk was Rishi Sunak (along with Dominic Raab); the most firmly dove-ish was Matt Hancock (with Johnson said to be leaning that way).

I say this not to excuse Hancock for his manifold failures, but to point out that government is a collective endeavour, and just because Sunak has the nice-seeming job of handing out money, doesn't mean that he's inherently 'nicer' or 'better' than anyone else.

Hear hear.

26 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Lets see whats going on new york hospitals allegedly

New York

And in London

IMG-20200513-WA0004.jpg

People can blame the government as they have been a utter shambles but it cant be ignored when you have morons like this basically promoting spread of covid 19

Jesus that video from NY is true lunatic stuff. The comments from the people buying it are terrifying. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Re the discussion about Sunak and Hancock:

It's very interesting to see how people's perceptions are guided by the public-facing roles ministers play. Inevitable, I suppose, but rather misleading at times. About two weeks ago, when the papers were reporting on the government debating about easing the lockdown, they noted that the cabinet were largely split into 'hawks' who wanted to end the lockdown early, accompanied by faster reductions in financial support, and 'doves' who wanted to move more slowly on both fronts. The most prominent hawk was Rishi Sunak (along with Dominic Raab); the most firmly dove-ish was Matt Hancock (with Johnson said to be leaning that way).

I say this not to excuse Hancock for his manifold failures, but to point out that government is a collective endeavour, and just because Sunak has the nice-seeming job of handing out money, doesn't mean that he's inherently 'nicer' or 'better' than anyone else.

No but it does mean that of all the government offices/departments the Treasury has been by far the best in terms of action and communication, in my opinion anyway.

Couple that with Sunak often putting in a polished performance in front of cameras (versus Hancocks constant gormless impression) and I think there's a little more to it than just being in the right place at the right time (or vice versa).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

If Mps wanted the respect of the public they should all freeze mps pay increases and donate them to public service workers. 

This is a very silly thought, really. If you took the £10,000 WFH allowance given to MPs, assume the "best" case scenario that they took the full allowance, and spread it out among all public sector workers, they'd get about £1.20 each. What would you spend your quid on?

Edited by Davkaus

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Jesus that video from NY is true lunatic stuff. The comments from the people buying it are terrifying. 

Any evidence to suggest that? I take it your work in the wards?

She clearly has a understanding of the protocols of working and treating patients. Why would she just make it up. For fun?

Also it has been highlighted in our trust from patients relatives that as its "recommended" relatives dont visit patients dont get the opportunity to go through consent forms with a fanily member as you usually do. So its not "lunatic stuff"

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

She clearly has a understanding of the protocols of working and treating patients. Why would she just make it up. For fun?

Also it has been highlighted in our trust from patients relatives that as its "recommended" relatives dont visit patients dont get the opportunity to go through consent forms with a fanily member as you usually do. So its not "lunatic stuff"

Any evidence?

Well the video is titled insane murder in NY hospitals and a website called something feels wrong.com is helping it go 'viral'. She talks about drs and nurses laughing at people dying. 

She also claims this is all from her friend. So where is her evidence? She wasn't there. 

Did she do it for fun? No idea, I think most of these conspiracy nuts do it for attention or suffer with some sort of delusion that makes them honestly believe they are finding the truth. Maybe it makes them feel important. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

She knows a lot because she's reading a script. As somebody who has done presentations from an autocue, I can tell you that's what she's doing as she reads to the side and then quotes that. That's how she knows this alleged info, she's reading from a script.

Â