Generic Virus Thread

villakram

17 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've come to terms with the fact I'll never get a state pension, but my private one being tied to it and getting further away every time they change the state pension age is a bit of a ****.

I'll class the state pension as a bonus for 2 reasons

1) I don't think it will exist in the same form when i hit 68yo

2) I don't think i'll live until i'm 68! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, welnik said:

By which time I will have had back all the tax I paid last year and more! 

How the actual, are we supposed to pay for it all? 

It’s very affordable. 
I could say more. Indeed, I thought I did. 

5 hours ago, Davkaus said:

He's very brown, isn't he?

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see this country as being ready to have a PM that's not white.

I'm bemused by that. I'd say that out of all the government ministers that have fronted those daily briefings Rishi Sunak is the only one who seems to have any empathy and comes across as straight-forward, unlike slimey Hancock and gormless Raab. 

His colour shouldn't matter and I doubt it will. If you're good enough you're the right colour. 

• Like 1

What is the Welsh Government's advice on wearing face masks?

First Minister Mark Drakeford has been quite clear on this point: his government is not recommending or mandating that people in Wales have to wear masks in public during the coronavirus pandemic.

He told the public during the daily coronavirus briefing on Monday that Wales' chief medical officer Dr Frank Atherton advised there was only a "marginal public health case" for the measure.

"It doesn't protect you, the wearer, from anybody else, but it may protect other people from the risk of you infecting them," Mr Drakeford said.

However he did concede there was a case for wearing them if it gave people "confidence" but stressed they should not be looking to source medical-grade masks which are needed for healthcare workers.

Dr Atherton said at a previous press briefing he would not advise anyone to wear a face mask or covering, saying social distancing by staying two metres apart was far more important.

On Tuesday he explained why he was concerned about recommending them.

"We don't know if there will be enough masks in the UK, let alone in Wales, if the public and employers are trying to buy clinical grade masks at the same time as the NHS," Dr Atherton said.

Masks might bring "a small benefit" to public health if everyone wore one, he said, but there was a "bigger, proven benefit" if all health and social care staff wore clinical grade masks when caring.

He said anyone with symptoms should be staying at home anyway.

Wales is now the only UK nation not to recommend face coverings in certain indoor settings

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52631835

When I did a bit of shopping last week I had an old scarf round my chops. Most people were wearing masks of some description anyway. That was locally, I haven't been near the city centre or big supermarkets since before The Event™.

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

I'm bemused by that. I'd say that out of all the government ministers that have fronted those daily briefings Rishi Sunak is the only one who seems to have any empathy and comes across as straight-forward, unlike slimey Hancock and gormless Raab. 

His colour shouldn't matter and I doubt it will. If you're good enough you're the right colour. 

I agree with the part in bold.

• Like 1

Well the news today seems to have saved the business my missus works at for a bit longer at least.

I think Sunak and the treasury department will likely be the only government office to come out of this with any credibility intact. 

There will almost inevitably be an inquest at the back end of all of this but I think he will be remembered as the one who saved peoples jobs, and that counts for a lot in public opinion. 

Pretty sure we’re seeing the makings of a future PM in Sunak.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Well the news today seems to have saved the business my missus works at for a bit longer at least.

I think Sunak and the treasury department will likely be the only government office to come out of this with any credibility intact. 

There will almost inevitably be an inquest at the back end of all of this but I think he will be remembered as the one who saved peoples jobs, and that counts for a lot in public opinion. 

I agree with all of that because he conducts himself very well. He strikes me as a man who could do a lot better. He could earn the several times the salary of PM in the city with a lot less agro.

Saying that, he’s effectively got cheat mode enabled (which is what is needed at the moment), the real work comes when he needs to recover all of this expenditure.

7 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yeah he's pretty much the only one of the main players I've been impressed by in all of this

I like Sunak so far, but it's very easy to appear likeable and competent when your only task is to come out and say you're giving people lots of money. No criticism of what he's done, but he's had no real opposition from the press or from Labour, because it was clearly the right thing to do.

We'll see how well he comes across over the next year as he's tasked with trying to claw some of that money back.

The Telegraph reports today that the Treasury's plans involve scrapping the triple lock (bold move, but I approve), a tax increase, which I think is fair enough, but then on top of that, a public sector pay freeze. again, for 2 years, which I think is a disgrace and ought to lead to a general strike if it becomes official policy. If their response to this crisis after putting NHS staff in harm's way through piss-poor preparation and insufficient supplies is to clap on their doorstep for heroes one moment, then freeze their pay for years in the next, well, it'll really show them for what they are.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Man that part 2 documentary yesterday on hospital battling covid 19 was so emotional. Well worth watching if you havent seen it on iplayer.

I use to work with two of the doctors at barnet hopsital Dr Levy and Dr Creer. Two really lovely guys and seeing them having to go through hell and risking their lives to look after us. Absolute heroes ❤

• Like 1

Â