Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, Straggler said:

Seriously, what the hell happened to test, track, trace and isolate? It is impossible to contain a virus if you don't know where it is. How are we going to evaluate if there is a spike? The plan seems to be wait until people start turning up in hospital sick, which is way too late. Going back to work is fine we all need to pay our bills, but this a Hunger games lottery.

This, this, and more this.

Without it, everything else is irrelevant.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Matt Hancock doing the rounds today and when pressed on PPE says deaths amongst those with in the NHS no higher as a percentage than deaths of those in general population. Saying this is unheard of during a pandemic. Failed to mention though that the vast majority of those who have died in general population will be 70+ with underlying health conditions so not comparable to your average NHS worker who has died.

Spouting misleading nonsense to whitewash over dire failings. He is vermin. 

Averages, targets, percentages.

Says it all.

The prevalence, focus and reliance on this stuff dates back to Blair's new labour years and is a real problem in our society. 

45 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Matt Hancock doing the rounds today and when pressed on PPE says deaths amongst those with in the NHS no higher as a percentage than deaths of those in general population. Saying this is unheard of during a pandemic. Failed to mention though that the vast majority of those who have died in general population will be 70+ with underlying health conditions so not comparable to your average NHS worker who has died.

Spouting misleading nonsense to whitewash over dire failings. He is vermin. 

_112227812_optimised-health_care_bars11m

Surprised he didn't go with it's better in the nhs than outside it :(

Incidentally, that graph was in this article

The overall death rate for men aged 20-64 in England and Wales linked to Covid-19 was 9.9 deaths per 100,000, compared with 5.2 for women.

For male security guards, it was 45.7.

Among men, some specific occupations had noticeably higher death rates linked to Covid-19, including:

• taxi drivers and chauffeurs (36.4 deaths per 100,000)
  • chefs (35.9)
  • bus and coach drivers (26.4)
  • sales and retail assistants (19.8)

And men in low-skilled jobs were more likely to die with Covid-19 than other groups, including managers, skilled tradesmen and professionals

Stay safe guys. 

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

Just saw a funny caption, “use common sense” says the man who wouldn’t be prime minister if the country had any.

I didn't know what a mountebank was either.

Vt often improves my vocabulary. 

Poor old @ml1dch

(Love you @Genie, not stalking you honest, just couldn't leave a bindunne, I need help!)

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I didn't know what a mountebank was either.

Vt often improves my vocabulary. 

I think I first saw it on here (probably describing the same person) and have tried to use it weekly in conversation ever since. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

I think I first saw it on here (probably describing the same person) and have tried to use it weekly in conversation ever since. 

My favourite (so far) was mechanophilia.

Never looked at @TheAuthority's posts the same way since 😅 

(To clarify, he used it in passing, he wasn't sharing in group)

Stolen comment from social medias, but:

What underpins all this is just one simple fact.

Conservatives are in government in order to hold power, but not to do work.

Ordering a lockdown is power.

Organising testing, tracing, and isolation facilities is work.

Edit: Obvious proviso(s) here that employers might not give two hoots about the law or a likely/potential outcome at a tribunal many months down the road and that it's not going to be much help to lots of people trying to argue this with some boneheaded employer. Add in costs to the delays and it's little wonder that the official government advice on matters such as this (and others of a similar note) is that it's basically sod all to do with them:

4.2 What if they try to fire me because I won’t go to work but cannot work at home?

We urge employers to take socially responsible decisions and listen to the concerns of their staff. Employers and employees should come to a pragmatic agreement about their working arrangements.

If individuals need advice, they should approach ACAS where they can get impartial advice about work disputes.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

On 11/05/2020 at 09:56, Stevo985 said:

Judging by Twitter this morning, the response from Tories (both MPs and supporters) seems to be "use your common sense" 

The papers today have confirmed this assumption.

Clearly the go to line now. Implying that anyone confused by the confusing advice is a thick word removed. 

6 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Furlough scheme extended to October 

By which time I will have had back all the tax I paid last year and more! 

How the actual, are we supposed to pay for it all? 

33 minutes ago, welnik said:

By which time I will have had back all the tax I paid last year and more! 

How the actual, are we supposed to pay for it all? 

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s a terrifying prospect that we’ll be paying the bill for decades. 

I know how to never pay it off.

Supress investment, stifle pay awards, keep inflation low. That way, the amount owed stays huge and the potential to pay it off is hamstrung from the start.

Or as I like to call it, austerity.

• Haha 2

Interesting image to go with the announcement, almost like a campaign poster... 

IMO the way he has gone about things, even the way he presents himself and speaks, have definitely been with one eye on his future. Hancock was doing the same, but then the whole testing target thing backfired on him. Sunak has managed to avoid anything like that so far.

I wonder how long before Boris's current blind faith supporters realise his incompetence will also drag them down, and look to someone else.

Edited by andym
  • Like 1

Â