Generic Virus Thread

villakram

35 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Further information on carehomes and carers:

'The report' mentioned in the first tweet is 'Care and support workers’ perceptions of health and safetyissues in socialcareduring the COVID-19 pandemic': https://media.www.kent.ac.uk/se/11148/CareworkersHealthandSafetyreport15042.pdf

Reminder: most care workers barely make minimum wage.

Interesting in many ways, and unsurprisingly disturbing. Good to see an effort has been made to shine a spotlight on the Area.

Oddly the Report is written as if all Care is in Private Ownership, whereas many Care Homes are Council run, and aren’t mentioned. In those cases of course, staff absent through illness would be on full pay.

Its also interesting how mild many of the criticisms and observations from staff members are. I have heard much worse. Now, is that because staff are reluctant to speak out formally, or some other reason. In any event i5 makes the issue seem less serious than it is ( whilst it does indeed show it is serious).

There is little by way of direct criticism of Senior Management ( which in the case of Local Authorities has been astonishingly negligent) and CQC get off lightly in respect of their decision to cease Inspections. Not the smallest consequence of this is that Homes are now not meeting the Minimum Staff Numbers requirements, particularly overnight. Should an accident or other tragedy occur there are Homes with nowhere near enough staff to help the Residents..regardless of Co-vid there is enormous suffering due to lack of numbers.

In short, I said weeks ago that my advice to anyone with a person they care about in a Home, would be if at all possible get them out. Whilst I am aware of a couple of Homes where there seem to have been no cases, for the most part I would still say the same.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

So let’s just have a recap of the government’s handling of this crisis -

Staging the Cheltenham Festival didn’t pose a health risk. But going to see your gran did. 

Face masks aren’t effective but wear them. 

Testing isn’t necessary but we need 100,000 tests a day. 

Airport quarantine is ineffective but we need to introduce it. 

People arriving from Belgium need to be quarantined but not from France or Ireland. 

You can drive to a beach to sunbathe but not if that beach is in Wales or Scotland. 

We have enough PPE but we send the RAF to Turkey to pick up loads of PPE that isn’t useable. 

We shouldn’t assume we have higher death rates that other countries because our record keeping is excellent and the others are not keeping accurate records.  As we all know the Germans have a lower death rate and are notoriously famous for lax record keeping, inaccurate data and failure to follow procedure. 

You must stay at home whenever possible but go to work,  visit gran in her garden, pop to the garden centre, have a game of tennis and then grab fish and chips to eat on the beach. 

I wonder why we have the highest death rate? 

Do we though? We're doing an excellent job. Anyway it's not sensible to compare death rates with other countries, unless ours is lower then it's worth mentioning. But it isn't anymore.

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This always makes me laugh

"It's not appropriate to compare death tolls with other countries", say the people who put a graph comparing death tolls with other countries in the daily press conference

“If we’d have known at the beginning how appallingly bad it would make us look we’d not have bothered” I’m sure has been muttered at some point in No.10

They are now desperate for other nations to be found out for under reporting and it gets reset, but it won’t, not by enough to make a difference anyway.

• Like 1

Anyone watch the documentary last night on bbc 2? Thats the trust i work for and although upsetting to see how my colleagues were at breaking point, was so proud to see how well they are treating people. 

The real heroes ❤

• Like 3

Primary school teachers are going to need to be far more alert spotting a virus than they’ve ever been at spotting nits.

Hopefully the virus is larger than a nit and brightly coloured.

50 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Seriously, what the hell happened to test, track, trace and isolate? It is impossible to contain a virus if you don't know where it is. How are we going to evaluate if there is a spike? The plan seems to be wait until people start turning up in hospital sick, which is way too late. Going back to work is fine we all need to pay our bills, but this a Hunger games lottery.

Just stay alert, durrr!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Primary school teachers are going to need to be far more alert spotting a virus than they’ve ever been at spotting nits.

Hopefully the virus is larger than a nit and brightly coloured.

I think there will be some teachers who will die because of kids infecting them.

Social distancing will be impossible and there will be no PPE available. It kind of feels like that's just a sacrifice to make so people can get back to work. 

23 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Wait, Invisible Touch a concept album about a deadly virus outbreak under useless government ?

Invisible Touch - well, you can't see the virus

Tonight Tonight Tonight - The pain of being stuck in lockdown alone

Land Of Confusion - yep

In Too Deep - well that's Boris

Anything She Does - A throwaway track about page 3 girls

Domino - A song about losing everything in the aftermath of a great disaster

Throwing It All Away - The government eventually giving up and walking away from the whole shambles

The Brazilian - erm...

I know I'm ten pages behind, but this is still comfortably the worst album they ever made! I still can't believe I travelled to Wembley twice on that tour! 

38 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Seriously, what the hell happened to test, track, trace and isolate? It is impossible to contain a virus if you don't know where it is. How are we going to evaluate if there is a spike? The plan seems to be wait until people start turning up in hospital sick, which is way too late. Going back to work is fine we all need to pay our bills, but this a Hunger games lottery.

It's utterly mental that we aren't doing it. I suspect (and this is me spitballing) that the issues with testing run deeper than the lack of plastic swab thingys. I remember Han Cock thanking GlaxoSmithKline for stepping in to do lab testing (despite never doing this before, well they did when the Olympics was here, but not etc) and with places like Randox sub-contracted to do all the police testing for the legal system and the stories circulating about us sending samples to the U.S. or Germany that we just don't have the capability or capacity to handle it here. The recruitment drive of the mentioned 18000 bods around the app (15000 of which are to be call centre staff) to do tracing suggest we just don't have the infrastructure required. Army cadets now are being touted as the ones who will step into the breach.

Everything out of government and in the press related to this bangs on about apps and more apps. I think they made the decision early on to put all their eggs in that one basket. Coming to you soon at the end of this month...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I guess this means that foreigners are doomed then, as they only have Polish, Romanian, or even, Chinese common sense. 

There's also the rather massive issue that if "good, solid, British common sense" were a thing, that mountebank wouldn't be Prime Minister to reference it.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 4

So have the UK come out with and snazzy information film and jingle to go with their slogans?

Something in line with this old US one for the atom bomb.

It’s WW2 and there is a chance of German bombers tonight.  We have wardens, shelters, anti air weapons etc.

Civilians should stay at home but run to the shelter when they hear a siren.

Soldiers should stay well away from the shelters and run to the guns.

Wardens should be last into the shelters and first out. 

That’s a clear message to deal with a threat.

That’s the sort of message we need.  

Not slogans like “Stay alert for bombs”.   

14 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I guess this means that foreigners are doomed then, as they only have Polish, Romanian, or even, Chinese common sense. 

Common sense isn't such a bad call to be fair.

Don't listen to the government

Don't risk death for £10 an hour

Don't install spyware on your electronic devices

Etc

• Like 4

Â