Generic Virus Thread

villakram

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I think that’s a lot to do with it. 

People are realising they can get away with travel and trips out and the like. 

I said it before. People are inherently selfish. Half the country are more bothered about what they can get away with than what will make the virus worse

Exactly, right now I struggle to see how people are doing that much that makes a mockery of social distancing but it won't be long before they do start trying to gather in larger numbers.  If it were me I'd make an effort to get more of a police presence out now as a gentle reminder to people this isnt over by any stretch.

7 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Exactly, right now I struggle to see how people are doing that much that makes a mockery of social distancing but it won't be long before they do start trying to gather in larger numbers.  If it were me I'd make an effort to get more of a police presence out now as a gentle reminder to people this isnt over by any stretch.

It’s just ramping up. The amount of cars I’ve seen today on that road. Why should it be busier than 2 weeks ago? Nothing has changed. 

Either more people are going to work, or visiting other people, or generally going out. 

The only real acceptable situation is that they’re all going to the shop. But I find that hard to believe 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep that’s the road outside my flat. Not quite the nose to tail it usually is on a Friday evening but it’s a constant stream of traffic 

So you have the same birthday as me and you live on the same road as I grew up on. Weird.

As for the Rona, it's the same in Manchester, roads during the day are pretty much the same as they were before the lockdown. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, djdabush said:

So you have the same birthday as me and you live on the same road as I grew up on. Weird.

As for the Rona, it's the same in Manchester, roads during the day are pretty much the same as they were before the lockdown. 

Haha technically I'm just off the Lichfield Road but the flat is on the corner so one window is out onto the main road.

(Tony Daley lives in this building too :D

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I think that’s a lot to do with it. 

People are realising they can get away with travel and trips out and the like. 

I said it before. People are inherently selfish. Half the country are more bothered about what they can get away with than what will make the virus worse

If you add ignorance to that selfishness you have the problem in a nutshell.

The most informed debate I’ve seen anywhere outside CNN has been in this thread, and even in here there is a huge spread of awareness as to the severity of this virus. I’ve tried to keep my own family informed but even within that there are huge gaps in their understanding.

The sad truth is the ‘lockdown’ here will basically melt away before being loosened by Government in Mid May. 

And by August we will be back where we started ( albeit with some better infrastructure in place).

The prime minister’s chief political adviser, Dominic Cummings, and a data scientist he worked with on the Vote Leave campaign for Brexit are on the secret scientific group advising the government on the coronavirus pandemic, according to a list leaked to the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/24/revealed-dominic-cummings-on-secret-scientific-advisory-group-for-covid-19

These scandelous disclosures are beyond frequent. 

• Like 1

The latest graphs for mortality are up showing the total number of deaths recorded by any cause (i.e. not just virus deaths).

The current spike occurring in England blows any of the recent flu seasons out of the water.

https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps/

(they have also had to update the website to accommodate all the extra traffic they are seeing at the moment!)

16 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Well there's no need for the big plan on how to reduce the lockdown, it's happening right now! Traffic has been building up over the last couple of days outside my house on the main road, an to be fair, right now looks like close to normal at these hours.

I popped to the local Co-Op yesterday.  2 weeks ago there was a strict only 2 people allowed in store at any one time (which was a lovely shopping experience, even the queues were well humoured with everyone obeying social distancing) but yesterday it was like normal (even quite busy) and I didn't feel comfortable at all.  I tried to give people space but you always had others leaning over you to pick things up or others brushing past you ignoring the one-way directions on the floor.  Needless to say, I got out of there sharpish. 

Did click and collect fish and chips from the local chippy yesterday. Well organised - online bookings only, no walk ups, 10 min slot for collection. There was one other person in the queue at 6:10. I ate so **** much.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Ah, she's one of those that has been on benefits for years because she can't work but hasn't been moved to UC. No idea exactly the details to be honest, I find the whole thing stupidly confusing. And with coronavirus now hitting I imagine it's caused all sorts of pain for everybody involved in the system.

As already pointed out, for those stuck on the legacy benefits like ESA and JSA, yeah, they're going to be at a disadvantage unfortunately.

With regards to the UC picture, there were somewhere in the region on 1.5m new claims once lockdown started - and due to so many areas of the DWP shifting to UC work at short notice, they're all being managed pretty well. To the point that we aren't getting much UC work through at all, despite 90% of our normal area of work being effectively switched off.

Fraud is absolutely rife though - perhaps even worse than the advance fraud that was rampant last summer (short version - political decision was made to ease the ability at which claimants could request an advance of their UC before they were paid to avoid the normal 5 week wait for any money, essentially this meant anyone could log on, invent a claim, put their bank details in, and be paid anything up to just over £1000), means we'll have plenty of work when this is through though...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52421744

Ignoring for a moment the slightly sinister aspect of Cummings sitting in on scientific meetings to ensure that they tie-in with political policy, I was very interested to note that this:

"'Public confidence in the media has collapsed during this emergency partly because of ludicrous stories such as this."

Is what shouting "You are fake news!" sounds like in an English accent.

There's seems currently to be a very successful campaign to avoid criticism and enquiry by simply branding the media as unhelpful, spiteful or driven by other agendas  - and judging by the bar chart above, it's going pretty well.

• Like 1

On 23/04/2020 at 22:27, Jareth said:

So Deloitte are running the Chessington Park drive through test centre - and very badly. I've no issue with private companies running a public service if they do it well, but Deloitte? How on god's earth did they get chosen to run something like this?

Hospitals sought to take over the operation of a flagship government coronavirus testing centre from the accounting firm Deloitte after severe failings in the service led to the test results of NHS staff being lost or sent to the wrong person, the Guardian can reveal.

Grauniad

15 minutes ago, Jareth said:

From the guy who was previously in charge of these meetings

This Tory government were expecting to sell everything, not run everything.

They're attempting to bluff it utilising the effective system they already had in place, disinformation.

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Haha technically I'm just off the Lichfield Road but the flat is on the corner so one window is out onto the main road.

(Tony Daley lives in this building too :D

The nearest I'll probably ever come to living in the same road or area as a footballer/ex-pro is my current situation where Jake Findlay lives in the next road to me. He is now a driving insructor.

• Like 1

I have come to the conclusion that is doesn't really matter what the Tories do half the public and three quarters of the media will turn a blind eye or simply spout whatever line the government puts out as an excuse. 

The same is happening in USA under Trump just on an even more ridiculous and dangerous level.

• Like 3

Â