Generic Virus Thread

villakram

I've been a participant in the app below and currently it is reporting in my area an estimate that 1.3% of people have symptoms of Covid 19. A couple of weeks ago at the height of things I would not have entertained popping out to buy beer - but today I will, confident (false confidence?) that no bugger I walk past or buy beer from will have it. This is not a call for decreasing lock down, but is a current picture and possibly accounts for why some more reckless folks are pratting about...

https://covid.joinzoe.com/data

This page updates every day, based on the information from millions of users of the COVID Symptom Tracker app, the largest community monitoring of COVID in the world.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

That’s not actually showing anyone being shamed on social media. 
it’s a woman writing on mumsnet claiming that she got shamed because she didn’t clap. 

Mumsnet is full of absolute total bollocks so I’d bet good money it’s not true. And why a supposedly reputable news outlet is writing articles on mumsnet posts is beyond me 

Yeah, i'd be sceptical about anything on Mumsnet as well. I'd agree that its probably fake news!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I acknowledge what people have said in this thread about police overstepping their powers and agree with it. But part of me wishes this lockdown was properly enforced. 

Road outside my flat, which is a main road, sounds almost as busy as usual today

Lichfield Road has been busy all day. I had to nip out earlier and today has been the busiest day I have seen during the lockdown (only get out once or twice a week)

Its the weather causing it. If it was cold or wet, it would be easier for people to stay indoors. 

• Like 1

This seems to be automatically cycling through a bunch of live tfl cameras around london. Not chaotic normal by any means but plenty of people/vehicles about in some of them & hardly a draconian lockdown

Edited by LakotaDakota

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

People are getting bored and they think that because the numbers are going down that the job is done. 

Been saying this will happen for weeks. 

I acknowledge what people have said in this thread about police overstepping their powers and agree with it. But part of me wishes this lockdown was properly enforced. 

Road outside my flat, which is a main road, sounds almost as busy as usual today

To be fair to the nation, people have been far more obedient than I would have ever guessed, it’s rare that I’ll applaud the masses but for once they’ve/we’ve earned it 👏

20 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

To be fair to the nation, people have been far more obedient than I would have ever guessed, it’s rare that I’ll applaud the masses but for once they’ve/we’ve earned it 👏

I was expecting looting and chaos tbh.  Introducing the lockdown gradually and introducing the furlough scheme so early eased people's minds and helped get everyone on board with it.

Yep, the start up is beginning without the government lifting its 'work restrictions'. Was bound to happen, surprised it lasted the this long. 

Second peak? I would say we are going to have peaks and restrictions until this virus has exhausted itself

Is the gradual creep back of people into public spaces part of the unspoken plan to let everyone get it, but not all at once. 

Is this a deliberate part of the plan with capacity available for a few more people, like opening a bottle of pop slowly?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Is the gradual creep back of people into public spaces part of the unspoken plan to let everyone get it, but not all at once. 

Is this a deliberate part of the plan with capacity available for a few more people, like opening a bottle of pop slowly?

It's probably just a case of people gradually getting more complacent and realising they can actually get away with more.  I don't think there has been anything done by the government to encourage it.  At the same time any attempt by the police to try and crack down hard on the lockdown seems to have resulted in accusations of overstepping the mark with their use of authority.

I don't think that people are any less afraid of the virus I purely think that more people out and about is simply because we are sun-worshippers in this country because of our weather being so unpredictable. If it was pissing down or cold and bleak there would be a lot less people out on the streets. 

36 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

It's probably just a case of people gradually getting more complacent and realising they can actually get away with more.  I don't think there has been anything done by the government to encourage it.  At the same time any attempt by the police to try and crack down hard on the lockdown seems to have resulted in accusations of overstepping the mark with their use of authority.

Personally, I think the police making up their own versions of the law is what has resulted in people correcting them on what the law actually says.

If the law is poorly worded, or the police haven’t learnt it properly, I think it’s good that the public are willing to step in free of charge and help them clarify the situation. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Personally, I think the police making up their own versions of the law is what has resulted in people correcting them on what the law actually says.

If the law is poorly worded, or the police haven’t learnt it properly, I think it’s good that the public are willing to step in free of charge and help them clarify the situation. 

Police need to get the batons out. See if people want to give them clarifications on the situation then ;)

4 hours ago, Xela said:

Lichfield Road has been busy all day. I had to nip out earlier and today has been the busiest day I have seen during the lockdown (only get out once or twice a week)

Its the weather causing it. If it was cold or wet, it would be easier for people to stay indoors. 

Yep that’s the road outside my flat. Not quite the nose to tail it usually is on a Friday evening but it’s a constant stream of traffic 

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Yeah I think that’s a lot to do with it. 

People are realising they can get away with travel and trips out and the like. 

I said it before. People are inherently selfish. Half the country are more bothered about what they can get away with than what will make the virus worse

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Xela said:

Next week will change that

Weather looks shite

1 minute ago, KHV said:

Next week will change that

Weather looks shite

I hope so. Getting pissed off at the sunshine while being stuck in a flat! I'd feel better if it was floods! 

Just now, Xela said:

I hope so. Getting pissed off at the sunshine while being stuck in a flat! I'd feel better if it was floods! 

I live in a flat too. I have a duplex so have floors 2 and 3 of the conversion. Will be in Sutton Park again tomorrow, there is only so much cleaning I can do !

This won't go down well, no bacon will surely drive people out to protest in the streets (first valid reason tbf)

Save your bacon: A real meat shortage looms with virus shutdowns

Americans could start to see shortages of pork, chicken and beef on grocery shelves as soon as May as major packing plants swept by the coronavirus remain shuttered and the nation’s massive stockpiles of frozen meat begin to dwindle.

Meatpacking plants have become coronavirus hot spots because workers operate in close conditions and many have not been equipped with adequate protective gear. After cases began to mount, some companies have implemented safety precautions, such as spacing workers along slaughter lines and installing plexiglass barriers. Hundreds of workers have tested positive for the coronavirus and several have died, as have at least two meat safety inspectors employed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture who worked in the plants.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/23/meat-shortage-coronavirus-shutdowns-205689

Â