Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Just now, chrisp65 said:

Do we have any science that identifies patient zero and how they got it?

Genuine question. I’ve seen it repeated as fact, I’ve not seen evidence.

Never going to really know that except we know where the first outbreak occurred but they haven’t exactly found out how it got transmitted to humans. 

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Never going to really know that except we know where the first outbreak occurred but they haven’t exactly found out how it got transmitted to humans. 

The answer to that now lies in a wooden crate in the Chinese equivalent to Area 51 or more prosaically,  they just placed 75yr secrecy orders on all virus related material like we do with iffy things.

The next virus....next week, next month, next year.....could come from almost anywhere.....the focus on China is largely an irrelevant distraction in the wider scheme of things...here’s an article from 12 years ago ..........

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature06536

Global trends in emerging infectious diseases

image.jpeg

Global richness map of the geographic origins of EID events from 1940 to 2004.....

The map is derived for EID events caused by all pathogen types. Circles represent one degree grid cells, and the area of the circle is proportional to the number of events in the cell.

Edited by terrytini

17 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Do we ?

”Given that some China's earliest COVID-19 patients were connected to the Hunan Seafood Wholesale Market in Wuhan, it is likely the seafood market played a role in amplifying the virus. However, there is not enough evidence to prove that is where the virus transmitted from animals to humans. There is also evidence emerging that among the first 41 patients hospitalized in China, 13 had no connection to this particular marketplace. The path of the pathogen is still unknown.”

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/14/834109166/where-did-the-coronavirus-originate-virus-hunters-find-genetic-clues-in-bats?t=1587327778835

From an article in Shortwave a couple of days ago.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

we have all heard how it was initially spread and how it was transmitted to humans. If they stopped humans from doing what they did with live animals, wet markets and stuff in China then we stop the source and eventually the virus would go away. Trump blaming the WHO was bad but  blaming China no. They are to blame for this global pandemic, 

Or humans are to blame for eating animals...

29 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Do we ?

”Given that some China's earliest COVID-19 patients were connected to the Hunan Seafood Wholesale Market in Wuhan, it is likely the seafood market played a role in amplifying the virus. However, there is not enough evidence to prove that is where the virus transmitted from animals to humans. There is also evidence emerging that among the first 41 patients hospitalized in China, 13 had no connection to this particular marketplace. The path of the pathogen is still unknown.”

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/14/834109166/where-did-the-coronavirus-originate-virus-hunters-find-genetic-clues-in-bats?t=1587327778835

From an article in Shortwave a couple of days ago.

Whether it originated from that market it’s very likely that it originated from Wuhan. 

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/04/how-does-coronavirus-kill-clinicians-trace-ferocious-rampage-through-body-brain-toes

How does coronavirus kill? Clinicians trace a ferocious rampage through the body, from brain to toes

A very detailed study of how the disease works, including the effect it is having on kidney function and the need for dialysis.

Don’t know why you read that stuff, it just makes people more anxious and worried. No good for ones mental health 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Don’t know why you read that stuff, it just makes people more anxious and worried. No good for ones mental health 

My mental health is fine mate - each to their own....I prefer as much factual information as I can get 👍

Are any others, who have seemingly had Covid-19 and recovered, experiencing anything different about their bodies?

I returned to work last week and have to take 4 buses per day - 2 each way - and on my second bus home I am finding myself falling asleep. I'm also lethargic throughout the day. Also, I've noticed I'm really cold. I have been having the heating on in the office and guys have complained about the heat whilst I'm freezing. I'm also struggling to remember things that would easily come to mind. Stuff such as Cheltenham Gold Cup winners. Previously I'd have been able to reel them off because of my knowledge of horse racing but I'm struggling to recall many. Just one instance of many. 

Anyone else experiencing things like that? 

Edited by Villarocker

9 hours ago, terrytini said:

My mental health is fine mate - each to their own....I prefer as much factual information as I can get 👍

Same here. My missus moans at me for reading up on the virus so much but I want to know what is going on. My main curiosity is regarding the anti-body tests as I want it to be confirmed that I've had it and that I will be safe if getting it again. Also, I want to know more about the after-effects and what the effect on your body is after having the virus. 

Edited by Villarocker

Please don't be one of the guys complaining that we helped provide PPE to China during the midst of their outbreak:

. . . not least because, as a country with essentially no PPE manufacturing or testing manufacturing capacity, we are highly reliant on other countries not deciding on export bans and 'treating their own citizens first' and so on. Even if you don't want to, we don't have much choice except being a Good Global Citizen.

• Like 4

Â