Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, jackbauer24 said:

I thank those who are willing to discuss but, funnily enough, I'm loving the lockdown on a personal level so even if this was forever it wouldn't bother me personally! I still believe there is a lack of critical thinking taking place and we are making judgements out of fear. I hope I'm right (as mine is a more optimistic view) but can accept that I may not be. However i encourage all to look more closely at data - there's a good article that is updated on the BBC that tries to explain figures which broadly aligns to my thinking.

We won't know, and possibly never will definitively, the right or wrong way to deal with this. However I believe Sweden are approaching this in a more measured way and we'll get an indication of how succesful or not that is only months/years after this has largely passed. 

Guess we'll find out soon enough when 17 million unemployed americans decide they are going back to work in the next week or two.

The whole would you rather lose 30% of your salary or your mom analogy thing is shite, It isn't that at all. It's mass unemployment by the million, entire towns/high streets that were already struggling potentially gone & not coming back. Look at america, fain enough 40,000 people looks like a huge number but about 8,000 people on average die every single day in america, 2/3 months into this and the numbers haven't even got to what would be an average week of people dying.

Jump to italy, thousands dying looks horrible. Lombardy, the worst place in the world....in 2018 there were just under 100000 deaths in the lombardy region alone, That's nearly 2000 per week, there have, so far been 12,000 deaths attributed to covid in lombardy in nearly 3 months.... 400 or so mostly old people die there every single day even before covid, If these are all being recorded as of/with covid then the numbers can never actually go down 

Edited by LakotaDakota

Just now, snowychap said:

Can you still collect your passport from Newport? I've never known any other reason to go there. :)

Well they tried to close it and it had a reprieve for a few years.

Whether that is still the case, not so sure.

Had to work an evening in Newport recently, it was exactly how everyone imagines it.

Sweden have a population of about 10 million and have 1540 reported deaths which is about in line with Scotland’s death rate per person. Scotland would have tested far more people. The Swedish govt are playing their figures down I think citing their relaxed method is the way to go. But it is catching up with them and I think it’s the wrong way to go 

10 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Can you still collect your passport from Newport? I've never known any other reason to go there. :)

Nope, closed it down a few years back I think!

Growing up there, I always assumed that’s every town/city had a passport office, it was only when I’d left to move to stoke, then lost my passport and had to go to Liverpool did I realise!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Haha, as I’ve mentioned before; Newport > Stoke > Warrington

Yep, I really know how to pick ‘em :)

I’ve fed your data in to my super computer and apparently in the year 2024 you’ll be living in Cumbernauld.

• Haha 1

Conservative former party leader Iain Duncan Smith has backed the government’s record on preparing for coronavirus.

He told Sky News: “The reality about this is that the world did not realise the extent of the pandemic in China because it is quite clear now that China suppressed and hid information, for whatever reasons we may yet discover.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/apr/19/uk-coronavirus-live-lifting-lockdown-restrictions-boris-johnson-death-tollcovid-19-latest-updates

When all else fails, blame the China man!

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Conservative former party leader Iain Duncan Smith has backed the government’s record on preparing for coronavirus.

He told Sky News: “The reality about this is that the world did not realise the extent of the pandemic in China because it is quite clear now that China suppressed and hid information, for whatever reasons we may yet discover.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/apr/19/uk-coronavirus-live-lifting-lockdown-restrictions-boris-johnson-death-tollcovid-19-latest-updates

When all else fails, blame the China man!

Straight out of the Donald Trump playbook.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Guess we'll find out soon enough when 17 million unemployed americans decide they are going back to work in the next week or two.

The whole would you rather lose 30% of your salary or your mom analogy thing is shite, It isn't that at all. It's mass unemployment by the million, entire towns/high streets that were already struggling potentially gone & not coming back. Look at america, fain enough 40,000 people looks like a huge number but about 8,000 people on average die every single day in america, 2/3 months into this and the numbers haven't even got to what would be an average week of people dying.

Jump to italy, thousands dying looks horrible. Lombardy, the worst place in the world....in 2018 there were just under 100000 deaths in the lombardy region alone, That's nearly 2000 per week, there have, so far been 12,000 deaths attributed to covid in lombardy in nearly 3 months.... 400 or so mostly old people die there every single day even before covid, If these are all being recorded as of/with covid then the numbers can never actually go down 

like people who die from Covid-19. 

41 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

:rolleyes:

It's like sodding whac-a-mole.

4 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

I guess it is the from/with/of bit that is the issue.

FB42tSX.jpg

Great picture first of all.

Your post and previous ones seem to suggest that this isn't really changing the amount of people who die or that people who are dying would have died soon anyway because of other illnesses.  

If that's the case then I just don't get why the whole world has changed and in some aspects, will probably be changed for ever, if this isn't something different than the normal death rates around the world in previous years. 

33 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

People don’t die on a Sunday.

It’s either proof positive of the gentle loving hand of god, or an admin thing.

I appreciate the humorous element but I assume everyone knows today’s figure is recorded deaths in the 24 hours up to 17:00 on Saturday. Hopefully the 482 figure is a genuine reduction and not just a weekend admin issue. 

Just noted the UK figure for hospital deaths up to 17:00 on Saturday was 596, not 482 (perhaps this was the England total?) as reported earlier in this thread. Point still stands regarding reduction vs weekend admin.

Edited by brommy
  • Like 1

Â