Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Huh, I wonder if we can draw any possible conclusions from noting this fact, and noting who is responsible for healthcare system delivery in Wales and Scotland . . .

They should make a point (like China) of donating stocks to England. 

2 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

We won't know, and possibly never will definitively, the right or wrong way to deal with this. However I believe Sweden are approaching this in a more measured way and we'll get an indication of how succesful or not that is only months/years after this has largely passed. 

We will know, broadly for the UK what worked and didn't. We will learn the good and bad actions etc. But each nation and even states/counties/regions etc. will be different because of stuff like Island or part of continental mass, population density, population spread - cities or rural, or both. Medical facilities, advanced or third world...etc.

Sweden is really interesting. Their response is led not by politicians but by experts, and is based on their demographics, facilities etc. I suspect it might work for them, but hailing it as e.g. what China or Italy or UK should have done would be wrong. Germany is another poentially good example to look at, and learn lessons. But as with Sweden, the UK is not Germany.

5 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

However i encourage all to look more closely at data

Have you managed to look at/find out for us the 'most experts who can clearly correlate an economic dip/recession with increasing mortality rates' and the associated data, yet?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

They should make a point (like China) of donating stocks to England. 

Yeah, or perhaps Public Health England could try and get PPE suppliers to sign exclusive deals where they are only allowed to supply England.

Oh, they did that and got found out? Weird it didn’t get much publicity on the main news that one.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

Sweden is really interesting. Their response is led not by politicians but by experts, and is based on their demographics, facilities etc. I suspect it might work for them, but hailing it as e.g. what China or Italy or UK should have done would be wrong. Germany is another poentially good example to look at, and learn lessons. But as with Sweden, the UK is not Germany.

I honestly think genes and eugenics are a factor in the current crisis, the Swedes have such strong jaws. 

Is it a coincidence that Dudley and Newport are fooked? 

Edited by Jareth
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

15,000-20,000 is a big number.

But 0.02 - 0.03% is minuscule (percentage of population)

Its hard because every one of those 15-20,000 is a life with friends and family but if you had £67,000,000 in your bank account and lost £20,000 of it somehow are you likely to lose your shit? No.

“Grenfell was nothing, I spend £70 on a good night out.”

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

I thank those who are willing to discuss but, funnily enough, I'm loving the lockdown on a personal level so even if this was forever it wouldn't bother me personally! I still believe there is a lack of critical thinking taking place and we are making judgements out of fear. I hope I'm right (as mine is a more optimistic view) but can accept that I may not be. However i encourage all to look more closely at data - there's a good article that is updated on the BBC that tries to explain figures which broadly aligns to my thinking.

We won't know, and possibly never will definitively, the right or wrong way to deal with this. However I believe Sweden are approaching this in a more measured way and we'll get an indication of how succesful or not that is only months/years after this has largely passed. 

I'm not sure if that's a bad thing when something like this begins. 

24 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Funnily enough I practice what I preach and don't dismiss anyine who has a different view or is worried. I am am a teacher and reguarly go in to care for children of keyworkers if this means ines who are vulnerable or simply worried about it all don't have to. I'm not going around licking door handles but I happily 'put myself on the line' because I think the risk to me/my family is tiny compared to the help I give those children.

Fair play by to you; it’s very commendable indeed. Not everyone does, or would, though. 

32 minutes ago, blandy said:

That's about as dumb (from the tweeter) as it gets. Let the really irresponsible "what virus" folk spread it to everyone else. Sure some of them will die, but most won't. They'll be the ones causing the responsible folk to catch it and die. If I was picking a group to "let out" it would be those who could be relied upon NOT to be carelss, but to observe seperation rules, to follow the expert guidance.

You’d hope the Twitter was being tongue in cheek and/or purposely using an exaggerated scenario to make a point (which I kind of get if that’s the angle they were taking).

But yes - on a practical level, this wouldn’t work. However, as a silly way to make a point, I can what the Twatter poster was attempting. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I honestly think genes and eugenics are a factor in the current crisis, the Swedes have such strong jaws. 

Is it a coincidence that Dudley and Newport are fooked? 

Hey man, our jaws are awesome, feck off ;) 

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Hey man, our jaws are awesome, feck off ;) 

I went to Newport in January, I intentionally left by 6pm - which made a fun day time of drinking. How I miss those days!

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I went to Newport in January, I intentionally left by 6pm - which made a fun day time of drinking. How I miss those days!

Yeah you don’t want to be there past 6pm..........daylight tends to be the only thing that keeps back the horde ;)

• Haha 1

Â