Generic Virus Thread

villakram

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I got a mate living in Nanjing, he said some cases of it, told not to leave home unless he has to and if he does then he has to wear a mask, he hasn't got a clue what will happen next with the holiday ending, that's when the chaos could kick in, thinks he'll be told not to bother working (he's a teaching assistant)

and does the eating of weird animals / general food hygiene their have any correlation? or is this a normal propaganda-ised attack on them?

"outbreak of a virus in china? its because they're communists who eat weird shit"

The virus is seemingly derived from bats, and it's the consumption of them that has most likely caused the virus to be able to jump species -  either through eating infected meat (especially if it's un(der)cooked), or through the market environment meaning close contact with live animals.

It's possible for diseases to spread without the food aspect - a particularly nasty bat borne disease broke out a few years back because they infected a nearby pig farm - but the direct contact is the easiest method, and given the disease can be traced back to the market... It's the food.

21 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Oysters? Pheasant? Frogs? Pigs? Crabs? Quail? Eels? Swans? Lamprey? Foie Gras? Veal?

I had heard from a Chinese person that they couldn’t understand eating mouldy (blue) cheese (they don’t eat much dairy to begin with but having mould grow in it before eating was a step too far).

• Like 2

The way the animals are kept at these markets, having them stuffed into cramped cages stacked on one another basically means they are shitting on themselves that then spills down to the cage below and so on meaning anything and everything is transmitted from animal to animal and species to species if possible.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Oysters? Pheasant? Frogs? Pigs? Crabs? Quail? Eels? Swans? Lamprey? Foie Gras? Veal?

The Chinese eat a lot of weird shit so obviously increases the likelihood of zoonosis when bats, mice and snakes are common 'dishes'. The SARS virus is thought to originate from bats, the coronovirus potentially (to be confirmed) from snakes.  

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

13 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The Chinese eat a lot of weird shit so obviously increases the likelihood of zoonosis when bats, mice and snakes are common 'dishes'. The SARS virus is thought to originate from bats, the coronovirus potentially (to be confirmed) from snakes.  

It isn’t weird shit, it’s different to what you perceive to be the the norm.

My point was wondering what makes it weird shit? Why is a snake less acceptable than a jellied eel?

All these diseases start somewhere and then make the cross over. That ducks in the U.S. may have started Spanish flu that killed 75 million, that the UK fed its sheep to its cows and managed to get BSE in the food chain. That doesn’t make a whole people or culture **** up in the head.

It was the insinuation that China is ‘other’ that I was objecting to. That it could do a lot to drag people and practises up to more modern health standards in a lot of areas is beyond dispute.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Saw something going round on LinkedIn earlier about a news article on a 'research centre' in Wuhan testing viruses and bacteria and shit like that being built a few years back.

Probably social media guff or has it already been brought up in here?

No, it's correct. There's a centre in Wuhan that does virus research, particularly with bats it appears.

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

No, it's correct. There's a centre in Wuhan that does virus research, particularly with bats it appears.

Sounds like a knock off Chinese version of The Passage, what could possibly go wrong...

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It isn’t weird shit, it’s different to what you perceive to be the the norm.

My point was wondering what makes it weird shit? Why is a snake less acceptable than a jellied eel?

All these diseases start somewhere and then make the cross over. That ducks in the U.S. may have started Spanish flu that killed 75 million, that the UK fed its sheep to its cows and managed to get BSE in the food chain. That doesn’t make a whole people or culture **** up in the head.

It was the insinuation that China is ‘other’ that I was objecting to. That it could do a lot to drag people and practises up to more modern health standards in a lot of areas is beyond dispute.

Very Saidian. Not that I disagree but I'm happy to call it weird. I appreciate it that it's a cultural norm over there and embedded over very many years but doesn't make it any less weird to me to want to eat bats for instance, which are extremely disgusting animal which can carry everything from rabis to ebola.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Saw something going round on LinkedIn earlier about a news article on a 'research centre' in Wuhan testing viruses and bacteria and shit like that being built a few years back.

Probably social media guff or has it already been brought up in here?

That was all over alt-land over the weekend, with various amounts of agenda21 sprinkled in.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Very Saidian. Not that I disagree but I'm happy to call it weird. I appreciate it that it's a cultural norm over there and embedded over very many years but doesn't make it any less weird to me to want to eat bats for instance, which are extremely disgusting animal which can carry everything from rabis to ebola.

Could you be any more racist?! It’s only the plague* FFS. 

*Also came from China. 

• Haha 1

I was away once, working in foreign lands, getting deeply immersed in alien culture.

One lunch time we were with the locals, sharing their food. To be precise, we’d gone down the golf club for a curry.

Anyhoo, I introduced them to the concept of curry half n half. This proud and ancient race with thousands of years of history had only ever thought to have curry with either rice, or, chips. Never, some of both, half n half.

They took the piss out of my almost neanderthal culture, putting curry sauce over the chips. In their world view they felt curry sauce on chips would make the chips go weird and soggy. 

Two minutes later, the dirty bastards are putting Parmesan over the top of their curry! Never seen anything like it.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Awol said:

Could you be any more racist?! It’s only the plague* FFS. 

*Also came from China. 

A different point but ivory is highly valued in certain cultures (including incidentally China), as a result of this African elephants are being driven into extinction. Do we care more about 'othering' other cultures or preventing a wonderful species from becoming extinct? 

Â