Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

India has banned all exports of hydrochloroquine , so that isn’t going to work well for him .

I doubt those side effects listed are anymore severe than the ones listed on every approved drug you buy and take without unfolding that bit of paper inside the packet tbh 

sone trails , albeit with small samples . Appear to show the drug isn’t effective as a Covid 19 treatment anyway 

Maybe, maybe not . . . what we do know is that a couple in Arizona died after deciding to consume a fish-tank cleaner they had in their house, because it contained chloroquine. Now, they're idiots; I'm not defending them for doing something so stupid. However, people are generally panicking and frightened; some people will make bad decisions. The American government and media can help by not promoting treatments that, as you note, have not been proven effective, but guess what, that's not at all what they're doing, and not just Trump either:

1*D4P-mjHy9bNyU4uObvIVrQ.png

I know you're not suggesting otherwise, but it's important to note how irresponsible Trump and Fox are being about this drug.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

So now they're threatening to ban exercise outdoors, because people are ignoring the rules.

How about punishing those who break the rules instead of everyone? This is **** insane.

Sorry fellas. Some people were speeding, so you're not allowed to buy cars anymore.

Speeding doesn’t equate to this. We don’t lock society down every now and again for the hell of it.

If someone is that desperate for exercise walk round your living room.

Its a few weeks of inconvenience I can’t believe the attitude of some.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Its a few weeks of inconvenience I can’t believe the attitude of some.

It's the law and current guidance that exercise outdoors, whilst practising social distancing, is not only safe, but a good idea for the benefit of people's physical and mental health.

Imagine being ok with additional measures being introduced, which are clearly punitive rather than necessary, rather than punishing people breaking the existing law. It's amazing how quickly people embrace authoritarianism. I can't believe the attitude of some. 

The more draconian and clearly unnecessary measures appear to be, the more disobedience of the measures there will be.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Matt Hancock is a moron, Michael Gove is a moron (and also looks like a Thunderbird character, minus the strings).

They cannot punish the entire nation on the actions of a small minority, the vast majority of people are staying indoors but the reality is that there are 70 odd million people who are allowed to exercise once or twice a day so you will see people out and about.

We are governed by morons exactly when we needed strong leadership.

It’s not a punishment. 

If we’d had a nuclear war, and the air was full of radiation, and people needed to stay indoors for their health, and to reduce strain on those brave enough to look  after us, would you stay in, or go out ?

The only difference is that restriction could last years, this will be a few weeks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

It's the law and current guidance that exercise outdoors, whilst practising social distancing, is not only safe, but a good idea for the benefit of people's physical and mental health.

Imagine being ok with additional measures being introduced, which are clearly punitive rather than necessary, rather than punishing people breaking the existing law. It's amazing how quickly people embrace authoritarianism. I can't believe the attitude of some. 

The more draconian and clearly unnecessary measures appear to be, the more disobedience of the measures there will be.

Idiotic.

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

It’s not a punishment. 

On this you're absolutely wrong.

It's a threat to punish the nation if some people don't behave. It's like a shit teacher threatening detention for the whole class if some people at the back won't start talking.

If it was necessary, rather than punishment, it wouldn't be conditional on people breaking the existing rules.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

Idiotic.

Thanks for the well-reasoned, thought out response. But at least our feelings are mutual. At this point, I just won't bother engaging further. Have a nice day. :) 

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's a threat to punish the nation if some people don't behave. It's like a shit teacher threatening detention for the whole class if some people at the back won't start talking.

If it was necessary, rather than punishment, it wouldn't be conditional on people breaking the existing rules.

On this you are absolutely selfish, pig headed, and wrong.

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Thanks for the well-reasoned, thought out response. But at least our feelings are mutual. At this point, I just won't bother engaging further. Have a nice day. :) 

I’m sick to death of reasoning with people bleating about not being able to go out. 
Once the danger receeeds, ill campaign as much as anyone if restrictions remain.

But for now, the carping about not being able to XYZ turns my guts.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Utterly unfathomable.

It isn’t necessary - UNLESS it’s the only way to achieve what IS.

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Maybe, maybe not . . . what we do know is that a couple in Arizona died after deciding to consume a fish-tank cleaner they had in their house, because it contained chloroquine. Now, they're idiots; I'm not defending them for doing something so stupid. However, people are generally panicking and frightened; some people will make bad decisions. The American government and media can help by not promoting treatments that, as you note, have not been proven effective, but guess what, that's not at all what they're doing, and not just Trump either:

1*D4P-mjHy9bNyU4uObvIVrQ.png

I know you're not suggesting otherwise, but it's important to note how irresponsible Trump and Fox are being about this drug.

The opposite is also true.

I read an article in the Guardian the other day - ‘don’t believe the hype’ was the theme. It was as bad as the Fox News stuff, but in reverse.

Some of the limited CNN coverage I’ve seen on it has been awful too.

None of them are reporting on the facts (or trying to find out what the facts actually are), it’s just a political thing now. Fox = Trump good, drug must be good. CNN = Trump bad, drug must be bad. You can’t trust American media to report accurately, it’s too politically driven. 

Clinical trials website and government communications from various countries are far more informative and give you and idea of what is actually going on. 

Edited by wazzap24

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Spot on!

It’s given me a new appreciation of how easy it must have been for authoritarian governments to come to power during a crisis throughout history. 

Â