Generic Virus Thread

villakram

8 hours ago, imavillan said:

Are you travelling on holiday or for work? 

If it was me i would not be going for either. I would not put myself at risk.

Indeed, i was planning a months holiday touring the place in September this year which i have now decided to put on hold. I will probably go next year now when its all cleared up.

To put it into some context, the outbreak of SARS in 2002/03 lasted for 8 months !!!!

This outbreak has all the makings of lasting for a long time. Perhaps even lnger than the SARS outbreak.

Take a look here for the complete time line

November 16: The first case of atypical pneumonia is reported in the Guangdong province in southern China.

July 5: WHO announced that the global SARS outbreak was contained.

I'm going on holiday to Australia. literally just landing in China for a transfer to the second leg of the flight. The way back is then a 6 hour stopover at Guangzhou airport.

I'm starting to think I may book another flight, although I can't get a refund on my original.

Pretty incredible that they’ve quarantined the entire province now with 60 odd million people inside. Might suggest the CCP are a bit more worried than perhaps they’ve let on so far. 

I won’t link to it but on Twitter I saw a video of a Chinese dish called ‘the 3 squeaks’, which involves eating live baby mice.

Not a huge surprise that China keeps producing these honking hybrid animal diseases... 

• Like 2

The speculations of a breakout of a new virus started back in beginning of dec. At the time it was either a denial or that this was all falsified rumours made by the pro democracy camp in HK. It has a touch of Chernobyl in the way of how this was dealt way and spiral out of control.

And to the point of eating wild/ unconventional animals, I get it under a era of poverty, but for **** sake these are now being eaten by people who are using it to boosting their wealth!!!

And for those who escaped quarantined so that they can be treated overseas instead... people from this country is pretty **** up in the head.

For Posterity: The original title of this topic wasn't descriptive of the topic, so much so, someone else started another to discuss the same thing, the mods changed it because it needed to be changed to avoid such nonsense

54 minutes ago, kwoktolai said:

The speculations of a breakout of a new virus started back in beginning of dec. At the time it was either a denial or that this was all falsified rumours made by the pro democracy camp in HK. It has a touch of Chernobyl in the way of how this was dealt way and spiral out of control.

And to the point of eating wild/ unconventional animals, I get it under a era of poverty, but for **** sake these are now being eaten by people who are using it to boosting their wealth!!!

And for those who escaped quarantined so that they can be treated overseas instead... people from this country is pretty **** up in the head.

I think that's going a bit beyond 'I don't like parts of food culture or animal welfare in China' and into something a bit darker to be honest.

• Like 2

hmmmm... could be nonsense, sounds sincere... 

Apparently it's much worse than we're led to believe and the Chinese gvmnt are trying to shut down all social media about it. Bit tin foil, but the above translation has been confirmed by a few people.

With these kind of things, it'll always be worse than we're told. 

Especially if the news comes from China, Russia. No Korea etc because their governments won't allow themselves to look out of control, or weak. 

• Like 1

It's a welcome distraction from the Trump impeachment / Prince Andrew-gate / Boris bulldozing his way through Brexit / French national unrest / etc etc etc

Governments and the media will make sure we all fear this, even though it will not impact any one of us particularly adversely.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Have a friend currently living & working in Haikou. She doesn't seem too concerned at the moment other than being bombarded with messages about what is going on from people in the UK. think i would be looking at getting the hell out of there if i was her.

Have there been many cases on Hainan? I'm not sure how much more likely she is to contract it there, than say I am in Birmingham, teaching Chinese students. 

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Have there been many cases on Hainan? I'm not sure how much more likely she is to contract it there, than say I am in Birmingham, teaching Chinese students. 

1 confirmed death apparently (80 yr old woman), doesn't seem to be any sort of accurate number of cases

• Like 1

I got a mate living in Nanjing, he said some cases of it, told not to leave home unless he has to and if he does then he has to wear a mask, he hasn't got a clue what will happen next with the holiday ending, that's when the chaos could kick in, thinks he'll be told not to bother working (he's a teaching assistant)

and does the eating of weird animals / general food hygiene their have any correlation? or is this a normal propaganda-ised attack on them?

"outbreak of a virus in china? its because they're communists who eat weird shit"

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I got a mate living in Nanjing, he said some cases of it, told not to leave home unless he has to and if he does then he has to wear a mask, he hasn't got a clue what will happen next with the holiday ending, that's when the chaos could kick in, thinks he'll be told not to bother working (he's a teaching assistant)

and does the eating of weird animals / general food hygiene their have any correlation? or is this a normal propaganda-ised attack on them?

"outbreak of a virus in china? its because they're communists who eat weird shit"

I’m pretty sure it’s food related. It won’t change though. You can’t get rid of centuries worth of culture because of a few deaths. 

Just read some scientists think the virus could have been started by two possible causes. 

1. From Bats and Snakes in the animal food market 

2. The virus could have been leaked from the main laboratory in the City of Wuhan. 

Â