Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

We’re in the process of changing ours right now and they really are / have

*shrugs*

Go on then - what were you being offered six weeks ago and what are you being offered today?

Can someone explain the US medical insurance system.

If you don't have medical insurance, or lose your job and don't pay premiums do you just not get treated? 

Are people scared to go to the hospital because of the cost? 

Edit: We have family in the states who have just been made redundant. We know they pay a substantial amount for medical insurance and may need to help them out financially (with the little we have). We can't let them go without. 

Edited by pas5898

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Best comment on things so far I've heard

I think it's a wrong move to talk about how your gov. got it wrong in regards to the warnings from China in January. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but nobody took it seriously enough. No government in the world got i right. Not even WHO got it right. You might argue that things should have been rolling already in February, but it is what it is. I'd argue your herd immunity idea was the wrong move though, but that's another debate. 

I won't comment on your NHS equipment situation mind, I know nothing about that. 

6 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

*shrugs*

Go on then - what were you being offered six weeks ago and what are you being offered today?

I didn't check 6 weeks ago but we've been looking at it over the past couple of days and have quotes significantly less than that we've been paying over the past 2 years.......unless I've missed the context of the conversation.

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

Idiots.. look at the Swedish mortality rates compared to their neighbours. I feel for you guys.

Can't even blame the current government or previous one either. This dismantling and siphoning out of funds has been going on for 30 years or so.

Pretty much all our systems are all for show. As soon as anything out of the ordinary happens it all goes to shit.

And some how we spend the most money per capita on healthcare in Europe but at the same time has among the fewest number of hospital beds per capita. Shouldn't really be possible should it.

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Can't even blame the current government or previous one either. This dismantling and siphoning out of funds has been going on for 30 years or so.

Pretty much all our systems are all for show. As soon as anything out of the ordinary happens it all goes to shit.

And some how we spend the most money per capita on healthcare in Europe but at the same time has among the fewest number of hospital beds per capita. Shouldn't really be possible should it.

Where does the money go? Administration? Top brass salaries?

I guess it might be that the state is buying services from private companies and getting fleeced.

Seems patient zero  Might have  been found 

The first person from the Wuhan market – where the coronavirus pandemic is believed to have started – to test positive for the virus was a woman selling live shrimps, according to a document leaked to media.

The 57-year-old seafood merchant at Wuhan's Huanan market, who The Wall Street Journal have identified as a woman named Wei Guixian, first started to feel sick on December 10.

She has recovered since leaving hospital in early January, and said she believes she may have become infected via a toilet in the market that she shared with wild meat sellers.

11 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I didn't check 6 weeks ago but we've been looking at it over the past couple of days and have quotes significantly less than that we've been paying over the past 2 years.......unless I've missed the context of the conversation.

You have - can you get something cheaper today than you could two years ago? Will depend on your circumstances, but almost certainly.

Can you get something cheaper today than you could have got a month ago (and the BoE base rate reductions), and will you get something much cheaper again in a couple of months? Almost certainly not. 

Edited by ml1dch

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

Where does the money go? Administration? Top brass salaries?

I guess it might be that the state is buying services from private companies and getting fleeced.

Administration, bureaucrats, communicators, art, ad campaigns, and all manor of other non essential staff.

15 hours ago, Villarocker said:

I've also got stomach pain and diarrhoea to add to my ailments. 

Is your back hot when your chest is cold? Apparently that's a sign. 

No I haven’t had any of those symptoms. Just my chest cold. But I’ll tell you two things that have helped mate for me as I am feeling a lot better today.

1. Hot water bottle. Put one on your chest two times a day.

2. Get lots of vitamin c down you. Supplements, orange juice, strawberries, grapes, sweet potatoes etc.

all helped me

More surprised China haven't decided that elephant and rhinoceros tusks are a cure to this so they can finally wipe those species out completely.

Edited by sne

6 minutes ago, Xann said:

China's top political body approved the decision on Monday to ban the consumption and the illegal trade of wild animals,

If it’s illegal trade is it not already banned?

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Best comment on things so far I've heard

As I mentioned previously Horton also published an article saying people shouldn’t give their children the MMR jab which  caused a lot of harm as it  was a cause of a decline in children receiving the vaccination 

doesn’t make him wrong on this of course but he does have a history of inaccurate and one sided opinions

Edited by tonyh29

Last night, via Amazon Prime Video, I watched a 51 minute Australian documentary from 2005 called The Coming Pandemic. I recommend it as it is quite enlightening. 

There's a scientist in the film who studied how influenza starts in birds and transfers to humans. He said that if one ever did transfer to a human that already had a different strain of flu virus, the two could mutate and lead to a worldwide pandemic that could be unlike anything ever seen before. The Spanish flu of 1918 is mentioned a lot. 

If you watch this documentary you will think it was made this week because it is so relevant to what is going on now. It is mentioned how such a pandemic would probably start in Asia and spread through people travelling. They mention worldwide lock-down's to try to stop the spread of the virus. Symptoms are dry cough, fever, shortness of breath which leads to pneumonia and people affectively drowning because of the build up of fluid in the lungs. Talks about a worldwide economic crisis. Australian officials talking of how they would ground planes and use airport hangers as makeshift hospitals. All sound familiar? 

However, one scientist - Professor Graeme Laver - spent his lifetime testing bird viruses and how to combat them. He developed two drugs that he said worked - Tamiflu and Relenza. He expresses frustration at why government wanted to issue them as pre-emptive medicine when he says that they only work once the virus is inside you. The man spent 60 years researching this so I doubt there's ever been anyone more qualified on how to fight it than him? He wanted his products to be readily available over the counter so everyone had a chance when the pandemic eventually strikes but you can only get them on prescription. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Some interesting discussions taking place/comments being made about the law (i.e. the regulations as I posted yesterday) and what the police seem to be doing and saying.

What makes me laugh is how police are out in vans with loud-speakers and flying drones to spy on people walking their dogs, telling them it's not a holiday and to go home, yet when there's gangs of thugs on the streets they are nowhere to be seen. 

• Thanks 1

Â