Generic Virus Thread

villakram

5 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Fairest way to do it 

I know, I meant it would interesting in terms of how completely below their true income they would have made declarations to the taxman. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Presumably it's to discourage people from leaving the house to go and buy things like laminate flooring. 

Nah, that's just a cover up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I know, I meant it would interesting in terms of how completely below their true income they would have made declarations to the taxman. 

If this is the time to go after the taxdodgers (it isn't) - start at the top not the bottom

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

If this is the time to go after the taxdodgers (it isn't) - start at the top not the bottom

Sorry mate, I know it's personal to you, but without doubt there will have been massive tax evasion going on.  I'm not going after anyone just pointing out that anyone being realistic in their declarations will be better off than those not paying their fair share. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Sorry mate, I know it's personal to you, but without doubt there will have been massive tax evasion going on.  I'm not going after anyone just pointing out that anyone being realistic in their declarations will be better off than those not paying their fair share. 

Undoubtedly, but there's plenty of time for worrying about that later. 

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Not personal to me at all. If you added up all the "massive tax evasion" by self-employed people it wouldn't come within a hare's breath of what the likes of BP, Royal Mail et al get up to.

What you're posting sounds like a Daily Mail reader

Massive tax evasion is not what is going on with most self employed people. Very very small tax evasion is what is going on there, very small. What the corporates get away with is like complaining about someone stealing a glass of water from a huge resovoir

26 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Anyone?

Somebody who moved to being self-employed 18 months ago, had all the overheads of setting up their business, made £50,000 and paid the appropriate amount on tax last year - how much does this see them looked after?

I'm not criticising the Government on this (and I'll happily criticise them for anything), it's a fiendishly difficult thing to judge and come up with a policy on something so unprecedented. 

But let's not get into blanket judgements on how fair it is or not - plenty of people will be screwed by this who really don't deserve to be, and plenty of people who don't really need this money will get an un-needed windfall. 

Edit - reading this back makes it sound like I'm a bitter, recently self-employed person. Which I'm not. I'm one of those tedious "pretend to work from home, get the same salary as before" rocket polishers.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 2

I'm not going to get into a tit for tat. People who paid their fair share of tax will get a fair share of bailout. 

People, billionaire's or not who didn't pay their fair share of tax will still get their help but in line with the tax that they have paid.  There is nothing Daily Mail or elitist about it, it's a simple fact that those who have played fair will be better rewarded than those who haven't played fair. 

That's my piece said, like it or don't like it.  My main hope is they all keep healthy and get through this to start working again in the future.  It was a flippant comment so I apologise if anyone is upset. 

• Like 3

Back when I worked in the tax office, every taxi driver was on £4350 or thereabouts. Tens/hundreds of thousands of that every year for countless years adds up. Add in all the other SE doing similar. Of course it's tons worse at the top of the tree but it's still a huge amount lower down too whilst PAYE properly contribute. Those who have taken the piss should have an excess to fall back upon. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

Back when I worked in the tax office, every taxi driver was on £4350 or thereabouts. Tens/hundreds of thousands of that every year for countless years adds up. Add in all the other SE doing similar. Of course it's tons worse at the top of the tree but it's still a huge amount lower down too whilst PAYE properly contribute. Those who have taken the piss should have an excess to fall back upon. 

Its a myth and it's always taxi drivers that get the finger pointed at them

Most taxi drivers are people between jobs or doing it to fit in with their life because of the hours

A huge chunk of taxi drivers in this country are now rideshare with Uber or Ola and the likes, they can't hide a single penny of income its all through the bank and trust me, they are earning jack shit in the first place. If they take £1000 is fares over the course of a week (thats the top end) - £250 of that goes to Uber before you get into vehicle hire or repairs and depreciation, then theres fuel and insurance. Out of that £1000 they'll be lucky to see £250 a week. The tax threshold is about £220 a week. Where is this massive tax fraud?

But right now, they aren't earning a bean and they'll have to wait until June (yeah right) to see the 80% they were promised today, they'll be in the foodbanks shortly.

Again, more comments like a Daily Mail reader. The maths doesn't add up

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

USA now number 1! 

More recorded cases than either Italy or China. 

The American people must be tired of all the winning!

I couldn't give it a 'like', for obvious reasons, but your last laugh elicited a little bitter chuckle.

I feel for all of the Americans who didn't vote for this clown show though, truly.

Â