Generic Virus Thread

villakram

28 minutes ago, Awol said:

Andy Burnham on newsnight just demolished the government’s current position on who should be going into work and who shouldn’t. 

It’s all pretty farcical right now. They do seem quite happy to maintain a level of spreading while giving the impression that we’re in a more general lockdown. 

I heard him interviewed on the radio today around this issue and he made some excellent points. He also made the point that having been health secretary himself he had a lot of sympathy for Hancock, said he gets on well with him and that he feels Hancock wants much stricter measures and wanted them in place sooner.

5 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I heard him interviewed on the radio today around this issue and he made some excellent points. He also made the point that having been health secretary himself he had a lot of sympathy for Hancock, said he gets on well with him and that he feels Hancock wants much stricter measures and wanted them in place sooner.

To me it seems like Hancock is the rabbit in the headlights. He seems terrified, like he knows what should be done but he’s hamstrung by an agenda that’s been set for him which he can’t agree with but is powerless the stand up to. 

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

A little update on this...

yesterday: its going to take approx 6 weeks to get everyone working from home, its ok though we are weeks behind all the other insurers because we are the biggest insurance company in the country. We are waiting on RSA Tokens, they were ordered weeks ago and once they come through we will get the vulnerable people set up from home and then get everyone else out of the office.
yesterday: (after lock down) message from area manager at about 9pm "just to let everyone know our circumstances haven't changed, it will be business as usual tomorrow, if anything does change I will let you all know"
Today: 1:30am office is to be shut down after work on Wednesday, before you leave you will be given equipment to work from home and if that isn't available you will be told when you will be getting the necessary equipment.
Today: 10:00am I spoke to a manager, I asked why they have kept us coming into the office against the governments advice and constantly told it would be 6 weeks when it appears that they can actually get it sorted within a matter of days, I was told that they have expedited the situation and are now getting Email tokens which will arrive sooner, I asked why they didn't do that 2 weeks ago and he couldn't give me an answer
Today: 3:00pm Email sent to everyone to say that we would be getting Emails either this evening or tomorrow morning and that would give us access to work from home, I asked a manager why it has took the government to actually shut down the office for them to pull their finger out and sort out the home working, I asked why they have been willing for people to risk their health by coming into the office every day on public transport when it is quite apparent that they could have got it sorted within a matter of hours (not even days) I asked why the few members of staff have been coming in everyday covering for everyone classed as vulnerable (we probably have about 30% of the staff in the office at the moment) whilst those who are vulnerable have been sitting at home when again they could have been set up and working from home within a matter of hours, I asked why we are constantly being told that we need to "pull together" and "work as a team" and all that office speak when the managers are all working from home and only popping into the office sporadically whilst we are (again) using public transport.

They didn't have an answer to a single one of my questions, I told them that the timing is all to convenient for it to be a coincidence and when they are playing with peoples health I feel I have every right to question the company because based on previous experiences I struggle to trust it in these situations and it seems that the decision was taken for some reason to keep us in the office for as long as possible.

I was told that I was being unreasonable and that I shouldn't be asking these questions right now as it will upset my colleagues and that I was being far too negative, I was told that we can discuss it further "in a couple of months"

On top of that we are having to use our own laptops to log on and when someone asked if we could possibly take a monitor home for whilst we were WFH they were told "you can't take any monitors home because they will end up in car boot sales and we will never see them again"

That my friends is the "biggest insurer in the country"

Now was I being out of order by calling them out on their bullshit or do they need to be told how people are feeling?

P.S. sorry about the stupidly long post but I needed to get that off my chest.

It's a shame it's such an uncertain time because I'd feel like handing my notice in if I were you

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The virus causes viral pneumonia in bad cases. Often bilateral pneumonia which leaves your lungs buggered until your body can fight it off. And unfortunately viral pneumonoa often leads to a secondary infection of bacterial pneumonia, which is more treatable, but it's hitting you just as the body is beginning to fight off the viral pneumonia that has already hit you extremely hard.

Treating the bad cases of this seems to basically boil down to try to keep you alive while you fight the virus off and hope you don't get the secondary infection. And if you do repeat the first stage but with added antibiotics. And by keep you alive, in the worst cases that's keep the respiratory system going artificially while your lungs are basically ****.

Ah. Lovely. In that case, pass me the morphine, as they'll be concentrating on the youngsters. 

Yeah.

If you're badly affected by this, it's pretty grim. Part of the reason it's managed to kill quite a few people is it seems to cause such a nasty reaction in some that if you have any existing conditions affecting any part of the respiratory system (including heart and blood problems), the body just can't cope for long enough to fight through it.

A lot of older Italians have chosen to just go home and die. And you can kinda understand why. Hospital bed where the best the staff can do is try to make you comfortable while you try to recover, or go home and take your chances in familiar surroundings where if you do die, you won't be alone? Grim.

And then you look at the stuff going on in Spain - elderly care homes left abandoned to let the residents die. This whole situation is horrific.

Meanwhile Britain has an argument about when you can work from home.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Awol said:

When ‘the three squeaks’ is a delicacy, bad things are gonna happen.  How about we send them Gordon Ramsay on permanent loan  and they stop sending us lung AIDS. Fair deal?

That video has nothing on the guy with one arm eating a frog

You have been warned, the link below has a video of a guy "eating" a live frog, it is not pleasant.

https://twitter.com/Kenny_UK_/status/1242597873142968320

Edited by LakotaDakota

7 hours ago, Chindie said:

Meanwhile Britain has an argument about when you can work from home.

It’s getting increasingly surreal. A week from now those arguing to make people do non-essential work will be held in total contempt. 

Edit: but Parliament is excusing itself from end of play today.. a good look that 👀 

Edited by Awol
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Awol said:

It’s getting increasingly surreal. A week from now those arguing to make people do non-essential work will be held in total contempt. 

Edit: but Parliament is excusing itself from end of play today.. a good look that 👀 

I think the reason is like you suggested they still want people to be getting it and herd immunity, that was a big part of the plan originally announced on March 12th, is still part of the plan. I think that is why all the way along they have sent out mixed messages and been indecisive and non committal and spent days advising people and not instructing them.

Serious questions are rightly being asked now but if in a few weeks we are on our knees with tens of thousands of deaths, many of which could have been avoided with stronger earlier action, then those responsible should be lynched.

• Like 1

Apologies for this as I would normally post this in the tech section of the forum but it is kind of related and at the moment this thread is getting so many views. Mods please remove if need be.

I Have a question, can anybody help with please.

We are all being told to use contactless payments and avoid cash. I rarely use cash anyway so i'm use to this.

I Have a credit card in my name only and use this to pay for everything. Whenever me and my wife go shopping i pay with this cc using Apple pay as there is no upper usage limit.

As we are in lockdown we are both following the guidelines quite rigidly, so when it come to shopping only one of us will be going which we will share between us combing it with a walk.

Does anyone know if i can set up my cc onto my wifes iPhone so she can use it on Apple pay when she goes to the shops?

7 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Apologies for this as I would normally post this in the tech section of the forum but it is kind of related and at the moment this thread is getting so many views. Mods please remove if need be.

We are all being told to use contactless payments and avoid cash. I rarely use cash anyway so i'm use to this.

I Have a credit card in my name only and use this to pay for everything. Whenever me and my wife go shopping i pay with this cc using Apple pay as there is no upper usage limit.

As we are in lockdown we are both following the guidelines quite rigidly, so when it come to shopping only one of us will be going which we will share between us combing it with a walk.

Does anyone know if i can set up my cc onto my wifes iPhone so she can use it on Apple pay when she goes to the shops?

We have a joint debit card set up on Apple Pay on both of our phones, so yes you can.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I wouldn't mind it (I'd be better off then in my scenario) but that would surely be a harder and more expensive fix for the government...

Let's see.

It would be more expensive, sure, but not harder (they pay rebates all the time, the system is set up to do this). 

• Like 1

UK telecoms firms unite on campaign to avoid network outage

Britain’s biggest telecoms companies including BT, Sky, O2 and Virgin Media have put their rivalries aside to launch a national campaign to tell the public how to manage the surge in internet and mobile phone usage and reduce congestion on networks as millions are confined to their homes.

The information campaign, called Stay Connected, offers seven tips to reduce pressure on networks including staggering family activity, switching off wifi on devices that aren’t being used, and choosing a landline or wifi calling over using a mobile network.

Despite being a global laggard in the rollout of full fibre broadband, the gold standard of internet speed available to just 10% of homes nationwide, the UK’s telecoms companies remain supremely confident that the national network can handle the traffic load exacerbated by the shift to working at home and the closure of schools.

While the UK’s broadband network appears ready to take the traffic increase, there is concern about the mobile phone network. Last week, the amount of mobile phone calls made by at-home workers temporarily overloaded the system that connects the UK’s mobile operators. Mobile operator O2 saw a 50% surge in the number of phone calls on the day of the network collapse, with calls on average lasting 40% longer than usual. On Friday, ministers, Ofcom and telecoms chiefs discussed the issue, with reassurances given that networks can handle months of lockdown conditions.

more on link

4 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Bit of a silly question (I am not an Internet network expert) but why are we experiencing a sudden increase in internet usage?

Didn't people who now work from home use internet while at the office? 

Surely the overall number of connections is the same?

If anything, people can now look at funny cat videos on their work screen rather than using their phone data under the desk.

There's very little talk about the economic slow down here. I must admit I'm more worried about that than the virus itself.  I haven't seen updated numbers on the global GDP reduction, but I think it will be absolutely massive. 

I don't know how many people will lose their jobs. Hell I don't know if I will lose my job, but it's scary. 

I mostly work in consultancy and science related programmes, where the backlog is big and there's a lot of governmental stimulus in terms of infrastructure spending etc. But even here we're looking at a yearly loss of 20% in revenue and that's not a conservative estimation. Scary. 

There's  a situation where pretty much everyone in the service industry is buggered and that will have absolutely enormous economic consequences. 

I'm not that worried about the oil war, cause oil always have times like this, but ofc. for some economies it's worse than others. Norway for instance got hit with a double hammer in the corona and the oil price pummeled. 

The first and second quarter results will be an indication of how bad it's gotten, but I wouldn't be surprised if you saw lowered guidance on pretty much every single company. 

The rally on the US markets yesterday was pretty much a definition of a fools rally. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

49 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Shoot her

Â