Generic Virus Thread

villakram

11 minutes ago, Awol said:

Think so, but with an unlimited borrowing facility available to businesses, interest free for 12 months, you’d *hope* the numbers of companies that do fail would be minimal. 

With measures introduced yesterday then you can have 2 people doing the same job for two different companies both earning say 38k a year. Company one decide off back of measures introduced by government they can try to ride this out so that person gets a guaranteed £2500 a month from government. Company two decides they can't ride this out so that person gets sacked and the government will give that person £94 a week.

It doesn't take a genius to work this out does it. The government do not want to acknowledge £94 a week isn't enough to live off by paying people who lose their jobs now more as if they do it is an acknowledgement that £94 wasn't enough to live off before all this happened and won't be enough to live off when all this is over.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Having praised Rishi Sunak am I right in thinking if the company you work for does go bust/you lose your job then you will be entitled to just £94 a week?

As far as I can see with this helicopter money of £2500 per month is that it is given to those in employment. What about the self employed? They get universal credit of what £340 or so per month? There are plenty high earning self-workers whose income can disappear at a stroke.

How is that in any way fair? How about the poor folk on ZH working? Or the guy just laid off and no longer working? Universal credit at best.

To all you sole traders and freelancers out there - do you think the government will do anything to help us?

Has your business been badly affected?

I lost a couple of major contracts already... No income for 2/3 months could be a killer.

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Easter coming up in a couple of weeks followed by Ramadan roughly a week later.

I do hope the religious leaders of this world are smart enough to listen to what the medical expertise are saying and don't jeopardize the lives of millions with their ceremonies and traditions this year.

Vatican either cancelled it or are not allowing people to enter 

14 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

To all you sole traders and freelancers out there - do you think the government will do anything to help us?

Has your business been badly affected?

I lost a couple of major contracts already... No income for 2/3 months could be a killer.

Posted this upthread,

Im one man band Ltd co and existing contract not being extended (31st) and nothing happening going forward, all sites are closed and no idea as to when they will open 

You will get up to £2.5k a month if your Employed, PAYE/Umbrella and no need to pay back!..

UC/SSP (£350pm) and deferred tax/vat (loan) for Ltd-PSC's, CIS, Sole Traders!..

Now It All makes sense why they paused IR35 for 12 months! It seems now that the IR35 reform was delayed because it was known the country was about to go into lockdown and it would be expected that contractors won’t need support, and more importantly that HMRC would be in the front line when paying out emergency payments to taxpayers.

Edited by Kingman

Seems like the comments about asking/telling were right - Grauniad:

The announcement came at 5pm, just as hundreds of thousands of people were enjoying post-work pints. Some pubs said they would close – but others showed no signs of heeding the instruction.

Police who may have been expected to enforce a ban backed by law, merely said there would remind any businesses staying open of what the government had wanted.

A spokesperson for National Police Chiefs’ Council, representing all forces in England and Wales, said: “We expect business owners will want to support the measures designed keep us all safe.

“We will police as normal. If officers see specified businesses open, they will remind them of the government advice.”

The government is not planning to take specific action to enforce the closures initially, believing a direct instruction from the prime minister should be enough to convince almost all venues to shut their doors.

But ministers are prepared to take more action next week through a crackdown on licensing conditions, if necessary.

Spread betting markets off the board at IG Index (they are normally available over the weekend - they even have a market called "Weekend GBPUSD")

https://www.ig.com/uk

Not trying to fear-monger and I am not an expert on the futures, but I always have this page open in a browser, so I can get a quick snapshot of the markets during the day (and for the possible future moves when they are closed) - I have never seen the lines removed like this before. 

The drastic measures taken in the UK to tackle coronavirus have been justified because of the need to save lives.

Coronavirus deaths: What we don't know 

Modelling by Imperial College London - used to inform government - suggests 500,000 could die if we do nothing.

Even the government's previous strategy to slow the spread was likely to lead to 250,000 deaths, the research showed.

The warnings prompted ministers to announce on Monday the most draconian crackdown on freedom in peacetime with the public told not to go to pubs, clubs or theatres, and to work from home if possible.

The move has hit the economy, putting jobs at risk and prompting schools to be closed and exams cancelled. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654

interesting article, there are 600k deaths an average year in the UK, the report from IC suggested that the UK might suffer 250k Deaths from corona virus. As the report points that is not additional deaths, those two groups will intersect. 

Army to deploy to New York after Trump declares major disaster: Troops to turn hotels and sports arenas into hospitals as lines form outside hospitals, ventilators run low and one person an hour dies in pandemic in NYC

26234024-8137097-image-a-9_1584777321109

• President Trump declared New York State a major disaster area Friday as coronavirus cases skyrocket
  • The declaration allows New York State to access federal aid via FEMA's $42billion Disaster Relief Fund
  • The US military is now working on plans to takeover hotels, college dormitories and sports arenas and turn them into ICU-like medical facilities 
  • The emergency declaration comes as New York State and city hospitals run out of face masks and ventilators 
  • In New York City, 14 people died between 10am and 6pm Friday - the equivalent of one person an hour
  • Trump's declaration was issued Friday night, four days after New York's Governor Andrew Cuomo asked for it
  • This is the first time in US history a president has declared a major disaster over a public health threat  
  • Coronavirus symptoms: what are they and should you see a doctor? 

Daily Mail 

50 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

With measures introduced yesterday then you can have 2 people doing the same job for two different companies both earning say 38k a year. Company one decide off back of measures introduced by government they can try to ride this out so that person gets a guaranteed £2500 a month from government. Company two decides they can't ride this out so that person gets sacked and the government will give that person £94 a week.

It doesn't take a genius to work this out does it. The government do not want to acknowledge £94 a week isn't enough to live off by paying people who lose their jobs now more as if they do it is an acknowledgement that £94 wasn't enough to live off before all this happened and won't be enough to live off when all this is over.

I think £94 a week is fair in a normal climate, it's not enough to live off and so it motivates people to go out and find work. It's where the benefit system is broken, people who can't work should receive a fair amount to live on relatively comfortably, those who are looking for work should be helped to live and get by in between times and those who can work but choose not to should be made to scrape by. It's a system that is abused and needs looking at by the government.

Right now the jobs just aren't there, so possibly they need to look at a short term increase in benefits for the unemployed to allow them to get through this period of however long the virus lasts.

Q&A on coronaviruses (COVID-19) 

WHO is continuously monitoring and responding to this outbreak.

This Q&A will be updated as more is known about COVID-19, how it spreads and how it is affecting people worldwide.

For more information, check back regularly on WHO’s coronavirus pages. https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019  

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-coronaviruses 

49 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Posted this upthread,

Im one man band Ltd co and existing contract not being extended (31st) and nothing happening going forward, all sites are closed and no idea as to when they will open 

You will get up to £2.5k a month if your Employed, PAYE/Umbrella and no need to pay back!..

UC/SSP (£350pm) and deferred tax/vat (loan) for Ltd-PSC's, CIS, Sole Traders!..

Now It All makes sense why they paused IR35 for 12 months! It seems now that the IR35 reform was delayed because it was known the country was about to go into lockdown and it would be expected that contractors won’t need support, and more importantly that HMRC would be in the front line when paying out emergency payments to taxpayers.

So you reckon in terms of support from the government if your contract is ended early it will actually be better for that contract to have fallen under IR35? 

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So you reckon in terms of support from the government if your contract is ended early it will actually be better for that contract to have fallen under IR35? 

It would have done If you were on PAYE in February then that is the average wage you would be eligible to claim for off the new grant scheme going forward 

If your ZHC and had a shit February then thats the amount of you can claim or UC/SSP/JSA

• Thanks 1

President Trump ignored CIA warnings about coronavirus pandemic for MONTHS

President Trump ignored warnings from US intelligence agencies about the threat. One intelligence official and several Trump Administration officials claiming the President downplayed the COVID-19 threat in spite of growing anxiety from aides and members of his own cabinet throughout January and February. 

They just couldn't get him to do anything about it,' one official stated, adding: 'The system was blinking red.'

Daily Mail 

Now there must around 200 people in ICU in London, as the numbers double every 3-4 days. Within a week this number will grow to 1000. There are 1-1.5k ICU beds in London, many already used by non coronavirus patients.  

"Unpublished NHS figures obtained by the Guardian show that the number of people confirmed or suspected to have Covid-19 being treated in an intensive care unit (ICU) in hospitals in south London rose from seven on Friday 6 March to 93 on Tuesday 17 March – a thirteenfold increase in 12 days. Doctors are worried that 86 of the 93 cases last Tuesday were on a ventilator, "

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/mar/20/london-hospitals-struggle-to-cope-with-coronavirus-surge

I personally think I have already had it, as rumours are coming out now it apparently started in 'America' in August/September an transferred to China.

The flu I had in November/December, around 5/6 others at my office, who we are all in close contact with, (also my partner had it who rarely gets a flu) was like no other we had experienced before. Like a tight band around your head, indigestion type symptoms, occasional shortness of breath. My one colleague runs and was complaining he couldn't run a 400 metres even though he generally does a 5 mile run every weekend. One other guy who I was chatting too yesterday was even admitted to hospital coughing up blood. He was put on a drip and just got better over time, although no explanation was given for what he had. He was refused treatment 3 times doctors saying he just had a bad flu.

I have just been reading on the internet, "its geoengineering, contrails are actually chemicals", naa none of that bullcrap. But some scientists actually saying it must have come from America, as they have the genome A,B,C,D and E strains of it, there is no other country which has all strains. Believe what you like but this is no normal Virus which has come out of nowhere. That market is Wuhan China is centuries old and seems completely random to have happened now!

Â