Generic Virus Thread

villakram

From the Beeb article on the closures:

Speaking at a daily Downing Street press briefing, Mr Johnson said the measures would be enforced "strictly" and that licensing arrangements would make doing so "relatively simple".

Edited by snowychap

35 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Me, my company and my three business partners have paid over £200k in tax in the last 2 years (with maybe 65% of our income being from overseas), yet right now I'm going to be expected to exist on £94 a week.

Excuse me if I sit out the victory parade.

Do you want your 200 grand back? 

3 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Supposed to be giving blood to the NHS on Monday. Not sure whether to go or not.  I guess if there's ever a time to do it, it's now..

Not sure what it's like over there, but they've been putting outs calls over here as supplies have dropped to 1day or less on hand due to people calling it off 'cause virus.

Well I’m expected at a wedding this weekend. It’s going to be a ~3 hour drive of which I’ll be stuck in a car with others who need a lift or I’m debating whether to get a train (social distancing might be easier if the carriages are empty) .

I’m then going to be in a venue of around 150 people for about 5/6 hours. 

I’m torn: I don’t want to miss a friend’s “big day” (although  I **** hate that phrase) but also don’t want to congregate in such a large gathering. 
**** knows what to do. I was hoping the bride and groom would see some sense, and call it off/postpone, but nope - plans go ahead as scheduled. 

49 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Well I’m expected at a wedding this weekend. It’s going to be a ~3 hour drive of which I’ll be stuck in a car with others who need a lift or I’m debating whether to get a train (social distancing might be easier if the carriages are empty) .

I’m torn: I don’t want to miss a friend’s “big day” (although  I **** hate that phrase) but also don’t want to congregate in such a large gathering. 
**** knows what to do. I was hoping the bride and groom would see some sense, and call it off/postpone, but nope - plans go ahead as scheduled. 

I know how you feel, I've flown out to New Zealand for a mates wedding. My week here so far has consisted of sitting in a room self isolating and i've had to cut the whole trip short to fly back home the day after the wedding out of fear of getting stuck out here.

I'm really not keen on spending a day in a room with a load of strangers who could be infected but obviously don't want to let my mate down and leave. Plus i've spent so much money on this thing now with cancelled and re-booked flights, hotel etc  I feel like I have to stay for the wedding to try and make the whole thing at least somewhat worthwhile. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

A different article I read suggested that the lower German mortality rate is due to their first wave of infections being reasonable young  fit and healthy Germans who were away in Italy at ski resorts when the outbreak started  .. their expectation is still that the mortality rate will spike heavily 

the other interesting thing in Germany is Hotels were cleared and set up as hospitals for the less critically ill non-Covid-19 patients, clearing  beds in  hospitals for Covid-19 patients  to get treatment 

Yes that did get mentioned in the article but that would be true of a lot of European countries 

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Have to say i was quite stunned by these proposals.

Well done to both Johnson and the new chancellor- who for me has been better than the previous losers we have had. Both doing the right thing.

The new chancellor is Really a impressive speaker too. 

Agreed, not many of them make any sort of good impression on me. Rishi Sunak has done this instantly, really hope he carries on doing a good job. So impressive the way he speaks!

Edited by leighavfc
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Was this before or after the announcement today? you' d think that a lot of companies that had decided to lay people off would be reconsidering after today's measures. Hope you get some good news soon.

I know of 3 family friends laid off in the last couple of days. The bank of england said earlier in the week to hold fire, yet many companies seem to have jumped the gun. Whilst understandable in some senses you would hope that they would have held out and probably prevented these. Hope those who are in limbo get some good news and quickly!

6 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Is this in UK? If in a church I am sure I read that these are being limited to 5 people. If it is in a hotel I would expect the venue to cancel it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Having praised Rishi Sunak am I right in thinking if the company you work for does go bust/you lose your job then you will be entitled to just £94 a week?

Think so, but with an unlimited borrowing facility available to businesses, interest free for 12 months, you’d *hope* the numbers of companies that do fail would be minimal. 

Nature has given us all a sharp reminder that human pretensions to control our environment without limit are a little overblown. 

Under the circumstances (the pilots trying to build an aircraft while in flight) I think they’re doing their best. 

On Sunak, I’d always found him a slippery even smarmy fella before he became Chancellor. Since then I’ve realised how wrong that was. Very impressive bloke and if Boris dropped dead tomorrow I’d have no worries about him holding the fort.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Having praised Rishi Sunak am I right in thinking if the company you work for does go bust/you lose your job then you will be entitled to just £94 a week?

Didn't he say something about paying 80% of wages if you lose your job etc? Could be wrong here but sure that's what I read.

EDIT. I was wrong it was about, people who cant work due to the virus.

Edited by leighavfc

8 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

@markavfc40 It’s in a hotel. I was expecting the same thing to happen and that the venue would cancel, but apparently not. It’s probably greed i.e. that the wedding represents a healthy profit for one day to the venue so they’re just unwilling to cancel. 

It is madness and why the government will have to take even further measures.

Easter coming up in a couple of weeks followed by Ramadan roughly a week later.

I do hope the religious leaders of this world are smart enough to listen to what the medical expertise are saying and don't jeopardize the lives of millions with their ceremonies and traditions this year.

Â