Generic Virus Thread

villakram

15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I don't think so I think it's fair comment.  Most people will spend a lot less money when isolating.  I am very fortunate in that I can 100% work from home.  My income will be completely unaffected for which I am hugely grateful. 

But I've been thinking about all the money I'm going to save.  Train pass is cancelled, petrol money will drastically reduce, I eat sandwiches everyday in town, my kids spend shit loads in school canteens. Meals out and takeaways.   Buying shit in shops that you really don't need. Pub rounds. 

I think I would easily be better off even on 80% of salary. 

I think people are misunderstanding my post / I didn’t word it very well 

the stereotype line was a play on the view of  people on benefits all being down the pub and not about disposable income 

Every employee in our whole department has been confirmed as a key worker, for the purposes of school closures and kids going in. 

They've also had every employee on the current 'underlying health conditions' list go home. Our office alone has dropped from 300+ to around 60-80 a day. 

We think we'll be moving over to making benefit payments soon. Whether that's legacy benefits or UC isn't clear yet. We could even be involved in some of the emergency loans / grants that have been confirmed. 

Everything else we do is completely on hold. We were on course to recoup just over £2b for the treasury this year - seems a drop in the ocean compared to the figures required for some of the measures announced today, and I don't think we'll get another penny after next week. 

Edited by hogso

Redundancies announced at our place today, should know over the next few weeks. Genuinely quite worried I could be left jobless as I've only been there a few weeks. Pretty much a zero percent chance of finding other work for the foreseeable future with the way the world is going at the moment.

The damage to the economy will carry on long after the virus has gone. 

If the reports out of China are correct then they have the answer to beating this virus, just wonder if we can afford to buy the answer.

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Well, the smog appears to have cleared over much of China and the water is clear in Venice. So this might have a smudge of a good news side. Especially if we find some permanent different ways of working.

if people can skype for 6 or 9 months, perhaps driving to Watford to talk about something will always feel stupid from now on.

But that's what I'm concerned about. Obviously, we look for glimmers of good news, but I keep hearing this stuff about Venice and blue skies in China, as if - COV-19 aside - everything is now fine, and climate change has been halted. It hasn't, it'll take a lot more than this to stop it. I keep thinking about all those homes that were flooded only a couple of months ago, and trying to imagine what that would be like if you're in the middle of a pandemic. 

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

A lot seems to have just happened.

Did Boris Johnson just do the most un-Conservative thing of all time and offer to pay the wages of workers that have no work?

That's both unexpected and very welcome.

Have to say i was quite stunned by these proposals.

Well done to both Johnson and the new chancellor- who for me has been better than the previous losers we have had. Both doing the right thing.

The new chancellor is Really a impressive speaker too. 

• Like 3

Just now, mjmooney said:

But that's what I'm concerned about. Obviously, we look for glimmers of good news, but I keep hearing this stuff about Venice and blue skies in China, as if - COV-19 aside - everything is now fine, and climate change has been halted. It hasn't, it'll take a lot more than this to stop it. I keep thinking about all those homes that were flooded only a couple of months ago, and trying to imagine what that would be like if you're in the middle of a pandemic. 

I knew where you were heading with it.

I was just trying to be a chin up kinda guy as this is basically day 3 of 300.

2 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Redundancies announced at our place today, should know over the next few weeks. 

Was this before or after the announcement today? you' d think that a lot of companies that had decided to lay people off would be reconsidering after today's measures. Hope you get some good news soon.

• Like 1

Just now, markavfc40 said:

Was this before or after the announcement today? you' d think that a lot of companies that had decided to lay people off would be reconsidering after today's measures. Hope you get some good news soon.

It was before so it may help, but our company are laying off staff globally. Aerospace so I guess they are aligning ready for the reduction in work over the next few months.

Crossing my fingers. 

My office laid 4 off at lunchtime today.

3 were gone before I knew what was happening.

1 spent 30 minutes very loudly burning bridges.

I’d like to think we’ll get all 4 back in on Monday.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MCU said:

Fantastically handled by this government. I dread to think what sort of financial mess we'd be in had the Lord Saviour Corbyn been in charge. Think they've quite easily secured their position for the very, long, foreseeable future after all of this concludes. Not to mention the chancellor Rishi, future PM for sure.

I find it incredibly sad that amongst this pandemic the public are still out for the politicians. Whether you like it or not they are doing the best they can, and no doubt will have the experts in their ear 24/7 on what to advise. They will look at the countries around us, and try and find tune it. Mistakes are going to happen, late decisions, you name it.

As an example, I saw the socials pouring with absolute hatred last week that France had poured £300B or so into their economy, and low and behold the warriors of keyboard land were questioning why we weren't doing it. We announce it but it's not good enough. I roll this onto the schools, pubs, restaurants etc. Sure you all could do a better job 😘

Me, my company and my three business partners have paid over £200k in tax in the last 2 years (with maybe 65% of our income being from overseas), yet right now I'm going to be expected to exist on £94 a week.

Excuse me if I sit out the victory parade.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

5 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I think help has to come for everyone self-employed, it's 15% of the workforce they can't just **** the remaining 15% over, I just thing it'll take them a bit of time to work out how to do it because its vastly more complex

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

So option 1, the Chancellor’s announcement after 5:00pm tonight might really help out a lot there.

Option 2, the supermarkets etc really are taking on lots of extra staff.

very best of luck.

We are but nearly all the jobs are temporary and we are being inundated with applications. In my store we took on 6 temporary workers and in the first instance they were offered to friends and family of staff. We filled them within a few minutes.

4 hours ago, MCU said:

Fantastically handled by this government. I dread to think what sort of financial mess we'd be in had the Lord Saviour Corbyn been in charge. Think they've quite easily secured their position for the very, long, foreseeable future after all of this concludes. Not to mention the chancellor Rishi, future PM for sure.

I find it incredibly sad that amongst this pandemic the public are still out for the politicians. Whether you like it or not they are doing the best they can, and no doubt will have the experts in their ear 24/7 on what to advise. They will look at the countries around us, and try and find tune it. Mistakes are going to happen, late decisions, you name it.

As an example, I saw the socials pouring with absolute hatred last week that France had poured £300B or so into their economy, and low and behold the warriors of keyboard land were questioning why we weren't doing it. We announce it but it's not good enough. I roll this onto the schools, pubs, restaurants etc. Sure you all could do a better job 😘

Think you meant to post this on facebook?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Me, my company and my three business partners have paid over £200k in tax in the last 2 years (with maybe 65% of our income being from overseas), yet right now I'm going to be expected to exist on £94 a week.

Perhaps I’m missing something in your post but it was announced as 80% (capped at £2500 a month )

Not wishing to pry into peoples financials but If you are expecting to survive on £94 a month then previously you were only existing on around £118 a month  ? (The what car do you drive thread suggests that’s unlikely to be the case )

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think help has to come for everyone self-employed, it's 15% of the workforce they can't just **** the remaining 15% over, I just thing it'll take them a bit of time to work out how to do it because its vastly more complex

I think you are spot on. They can't offer the kind of help they did today and then let down the self employed. As you say it will be that they need a few more days to work out exactly what. In other countries they have gone with a percentage of last couple of years earnings and I'd imagine we will do something similar.

5 minutes ago, djdabush said:

We are but nearly all the jobs are temporary and we are being inundated with applications. In my store we took on 6 temporary workers and in the first instance they were offered to friends and family of staff. We filled them within a few minutes.

Just trying to offer a sliver of something helpful / hopeful.

Â