Generic Virus Thread

villakram

It's not too hard to imagine that in some countries, when scientists request government funding to do this or similar research, getting the response "so you want us to invest money that will either do nothing because you find no new strains, or if our investment is successful will lead to economic sanctions being placed on us?".

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Ok, I still don’t see an issue with short term belt and braces. 

Well, the issue is that now, we have created an incentive for countries considering in investing in DNA sequencing capacity not to bother, or to keep their work secret. And we have created an incentive for the South Africans - and indeed anybody else - not to share their data with us in the future, or to be deliberately misleading about it.

So much of the covid debate is happening without any sense of history, where history is anything before March 20somethingth 2020. Here is what the head of the WHO was stating in January 2020:

That wasn't him free-lancing, that was the longstanding guidance for dealing with pandemics, and the reason for that advice was that if countries knew they were going to be cut off from travel and trade, they would have incentives to hide the fact or scale of outbreaks.

• Like 1

You can say the same about infection numbers, why be honest and risk sanctions? 

I hope countries are above that kind of thinking given this is a health crisis. Borders for travellers from the UK have been opening and closing for 18 months as we share our data.

I expect any special restrictions in Africa due to this new news will be short term.

The whole point of investigating new mutations is so you can warn the rest of the world and allow them to take precautions. 

It becomes self defeating if the rest of the world doesn’t then take those precautions for fear of causing offence. 

• Like 1

Hopefully the government will learn the lessons of what happened with the Indian variant where they placed very fast travel bans on pretty much all India’s neighbours but inexplicably didn’t put India on the list…I say inexplicable but I think we all know the reason was trade and money.

I’d be surprised though. Tories gonna Tory.

Edit: we’ll blow me down they’re stopping flights from 12pm apparently. It seems they are capable of learning after all.

Edited by desensitized43

10 hours ago, rjw63 said:

I'm double jabbed and **** tested positive today, bollockssssssssssssssssssss

Same. Already had booster booked for this Sunday as well. Same thing happened to missus couple of weeks ago and friend at Villa this week too.

10 hours ago, rjw63 said:

I'm double jabbed and **** tested positive today, bollockssssssssssssssssssss

…and you were at a gig on Wednesday (?) because your missus couldn’t go because she had covid.

Don’t take this personally because I’m just picking an example of something I’m seeing all the time. But this is why I can’t go to football and gigs.

13 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Sounds like a pretty good reason to me!  If stopping the spread makes fewer people sick I don't really see any negative side to it.  No different to any other jab you have as a kid, where let's face it you probably have several times more vaccinations than as an adult (unless you have flu jabs I guess).

They were originally against children having the vaccines when it was first put to them . I’m using “They “ because I can’t remember what the organisation is called . I just feel very uncomfortable letting my children have it at the moment. We test them a lot and we are cautious, and that’s enough for us at the moment . I don’t think vaccinating children is the solution , but each to their own . 

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

…and you were at a gig on Wednesday (?) because your missus couldn’t go because she had covid.

Don’t take this personally because I’m just picking an example of something I’m seeing all the time. But this is why I can’t go to football and gigs.

Yeah... I tested negative before we set out so thought nothing of it

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

How are ya 

Pretty crap. It seems to come on really fast. 

Headache, joint ache, loss of appetite, lung-searing cough. All good clean fun 🤕

3 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Yeah... I tested negative before we set out so thought nothing of it

I had a message yesterday asking if I wanted a seat on the supporters’ bus to an away game - because three of the regulars have cancelled due to covid.

My response was along the lines of ‘are you all **** insane?’

The office has organised the Christmas party for 8 days before Christmas. My response was along the lines of ‘are you all **** insane?’

It’s a bloody awkward compromise between living life and not **** up christmas which would be the first time we’ve all been together for 2 years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Headache, joint ache, loss of appetite, lung-searing cough. All good clean fun 🤕

Hopefully you’ll pick up in a day or two. There’s been a few cases in our street and the schools have had a lot , but fingers crossed none of our 5 in the house have had it yet. Well not that we know of . Put your feet up mate. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

You can’t just hide from it forever.

I’ve been to pubs, clubs, restaurants and a music festival this year, not caught it (to my knowledge).

And yet there are folks I know who haven’t been doing those things and have still managed to catch it.

Feels like you’re hiding from something that boils down to pot luck anyway.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

You can’t just hide from it forever.

I’ve been to pubs, clubs, restaurants and a music festival this year, not caught it (to my knowledge).

And yet there are folks I know who haven’t been doing those things and have still managed to catch it.

Feels like you’re hiding from something that boils down to pot luck anyway.

Not hiding, just trying to be ‘sensible’. Without wishing to be over dramatic, if my mother gets it, there is a pretty good chance it will kill her. So my choice is either a Christmas party with colleagues, or a Christmas Day with family. But not both.

Believe me, my job means I’m nowhere near hiding from it. I had ‘a letter’ allowing me to stay in hotels during lockdown.

But whilst I have to work, I don’t have to be on the jolly bus to Haverfordwest.

18 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Hope that's as bad as it gets. Take it easy, don't try and be superman. 

• Like 1

Â