Generic Virus Thread

villakram

On 29/09/2021 at 10:09, Stevo985 said:

I imagine this is something that's much easier to enforce in the US than it is here. I doubt you'd be able to sack someone here for not getting the vaccine.

We got a company wide email the other day asking us to verify our employees'  "vaccination status"

It was quickly rescinded and we were told it was meant to be for US managers only (we're a US company).

Kind of indicates they're trying to enforce that kind of thing over there but can't do it here

This has escalated.

Still only applicable to US employees. However...

The US employees have now been told to provide their vaccination status by 15th October (via an online form). But further to that, this is a direct quote from the email

If you choose not to submit a completed form by Oct. 15, 2021, your choice will be treated as a resignation from the company and your employment will be terminated.

Apparently (and this is all second hand information so I can't promise it's accurate) the government have allowed for such measures because the company supplies the US military. So it's to ensure continuous supply to the military

(I'm not saying that makes it ok, just that that's the reasoning behind it)

• VT Supporter

They’ve had something like 99% confirmation of being vaccinated which is much higher than the national figure. 

I suspect sacking them on the spot will cost them via the courts in the long run.

I don't think it's as black and white as "all unvaccinated people are morons and get what's coming to them".

I fully sympathise with pregnant women, for example, who aren't comfortable getting the vaccine until there is hard real world evidence, in practice, that the vaccine will not have an effect on their unborn baby. Obviously, you need people to have it in order to get the data in the first place, but you can surely understand the people that don't want to be the guinea pigs, so to speak, and aren't comfortable with it. That's a very difficult situation to be in. Keep in mind that they were told not to get the vaccine if you are either pregnant or planning a family only a few months ago.

If someone was in that position and then ended up losing their job, that is just all kinds of wrong.

Oh I'm fully pro vax. I think everyone should get vaccinated.

But I'm not sure sacking people for not disclosing whether they're vaccinated or not, or inevitably sacking people for not being vaccinated (which I assume is where it's leading) is an appropriate course of action.

But it's America. Land of the free innit

• Like 1

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

I fully sympathise with pregnant women, for example, who aren't comfortable getting the vaccine until there is hard real world evidence, in practice, that the vaccine will not have an effect on their unborn baby.

We have real world evidence of the complications that catching Covid can cause. How are these individuals assessing the unknown (and likely insignificant) risks of a vaccination against these known considerable risks of contracting Covid? Do they know more than the experts qualified and studying in the field? I think that point of view is foolish.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, limpid said:

We have real world evidence of the complications that catching Covid can cause. How are these individuals assessing the unknown (and likely insignificant) risks of a vaccination against these known considerable risks of contracting Covid? Do they know more than the experts qualified and studying in the field? I think that point of view is foolish.

Just to play devil's advocate (as I was in the first place anyway, I just try to be as open minded as I can), I've seen a few arguments that are essentially: they have around 99% probability of the virus essentially giving them cold/flu like symptoms and then they will be over it in a week or two (in theory) - whereas potential effects on an unborn child are still unknown and considering that they were told in the first place not to have it, don't want to take the risk until the baby is here safe and sound.

Again, I'm not saying "you definitely shouldn't", but I understand why people in that situation don't, and I think it's unfair to tar them with the "anti-vaxxer" brush in this instance. 

Edited by JoshVilla
Typo
  • Like 1

On 04/10/2021 at 21:08, brommy said:

Thanks Mark; much appreciated. I'm feeling more confident the wedding will go well.

The holiday is further complicated -  after Mexico went red in August and expecting the cancellation, I booked Cyprus leaving this Sunday. I can cancel the Paphos holiday before 4pm this Thursday.  I don't want the expense of both holidays so need to know whether Mexico is leaving the red list, before Thursday afternoon. Still, very much a 'first world problem' compared to those who have suffered this pandemic.

Now confirmed Mexico off red list so what did you do?

• VT Supporter

My girlfriend won't take the vaccine because of concern about it having an effect on fertility or on a future child.

Obviously that's an unfounded fear but her mindset has always been very black or white and her view is, essentially, this is a vaccine which is new and that we have limited long term data on, she will not take a leap she can't take back without absolute certainty that it has no long term detrimental effect.

As much as that position isn't one I agree with, and is unfounded, I can understand having that view from a basic layman's logic.

• Like 1

• VT Supporter
1 hour ago, JoshVilla said:

Just to play devil's advocate (as I was in the first place anyway, I just try to be as open minded as I can), I've seen a few arguments that are essentially: they have around 99% probability of the virus essentially giving them cold/flu like symptoms and then they will be over it in a week or two (in theory) - whereas potential effects on an unborn child are still unknown and considering that they were told in the first place not to have it, don't want to take the risk until the baby is here safe and sound.

Again, I'm not saying "you definitely shouldn't", but I understand why people in that situation don't, and I think it's unfair to tar them with the "anti-vaxxer" brush in this instance. 

I've seen at least 2 reports of UK unvaccinated pregnant women dying from coronavirus 

I've not hear any report at all about babies being harmed by the vaccine.  I would imagine were into hundreds of thousands of babies being born after mother vaccinated by now. 

I'm all for people having the choice of whether to have the vaccine or not. What they need to understand is that their choice could have consequences, in terms of their job and career. 

In terms of care workers, medical workers etc, then it should be mandatory (like other vaccines I believe?).

• Like 1

I think we are at the stage now where 75%-80% of the country have had their vaccines. That is a very good sign in terms of a) stats wise it not having anywhere to go in terms of destructive/fatal cases and b) fingers crossed it won’t mutate into something seriously sinister (hopefully).

So, at this point (apart from those who have a genuine medical reason not to take it), a huge **** you to everyone of you selfish pricks left who haven’t had it despite being entitled to it, **** you for letting the rest of us risk it for your own benefit. Screw you all and its mostly you unvaccinated lot that’s getting done in now. Two fingers to the lot of you. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

But I'm not sure sacking people for not disclosing whether they're vaccinated or not, or inevitably sacking people for not being vaccinated (which I assume is where it's leading) is an appropriate course of action.

While I don't worry too much about unvaccinated people visiting my house ...  surely it is up to me whether I let them in?

As an employer how much do i have to accommodate an antivaxxer?

In short ... I am all in favour of people standing up for their stupidity, so long as others are not bearing the consequences (too much).

Edited by fruitvilla

We're in the strange position here, where if I go to my local restaurant, I have to show proof of my double vaxx. Teachers do not have to get vaccinated to teach in a classroom and the union currently is backing them.

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â