Generic Virus Thread

villakram

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Do you mean the whole population or the adult population?  Two-thirds of the adult population have been double-dosed.

52% of whole population, from what has been seen in Brazil, if you get to 75% then the infections spiral down and down and down.

12 minutes ago, romavillan said:

52% of whole population, from what has been seen in Brazil, if you get to 75% then the infections spiral down and down and down.

The thing is 75% of the UK's entire population double-dosed would require 100 million jabs and we are currently at 81 million.  That's not to mention with the waiting period needed for the second jab you would still need several more million first doses on top of the 100m.  I think that would have been impossible.

14 hours ago, Genie said:

Link

Unless he’s just arrived in the country he will know that many people will do anything but “act with caution”.

Cases are going to go through the roof, that much is certain. Hospitalisations and deaths will shoot up. This will be a major test of Boris and co’s resolve. Will they/we be able to ride it out or will we see a return of restrictions in Autumn? Time will tell.

A lot of reports I've seen suggest it will peak mid August before falling back again. I've a feeling herd immunity will kick in by September, and we're getting booster jabs then. 

I guess this is the real experiment.  How far does herd immunity stamp it down, or does it keep coming back in strong waves. 

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

At least it shows we're taking our carbon neutral targets seriously, there'll be no **** alive by 2050 at this rate :lol:

Silver lining to every cloud I guess.

Time for us to step aside, we’ve fecked everything up anyway with our collective arrogance and greed, time to let something else have a go at it.

8 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Pretty much similar here. Still a few masks about but it feels back to normal. And the world didn't end.

8 hours ago, LondonLax said:

It’s so weird seeing you guys in a panic about it all. 

Here in Sweden no one wears a mask anymore and hasn’t for a while now. No check ins at stores. No social distancing anymore etc etc

So why isn't Covid ripping through your countries like it is in The UK. 

I would imagine you have lower vaccination rates? 

If it's all so relaxed and has been for a while what's going on. Have you not got Delta there yet? 

5 hours ago, romavillan said:

not prioritised getting first doses so that they could plaster loads of headlines about being ahead of the evil EU and get good press, and actually methodically vaccinated the population. After being so far 'ahead' the UK only has 50% of the population fully vaccinated, it's unforgivable, the UK could have been 75% double dosed by now.

This post could possibly be more wrong, but I'm not sure exactly how. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

52% of the UK population is fully vaccinated so not really that wrong?

66% of the adult population is fully vaccinated. Very few countries are currently vaccinating under 18s so a figure of the whole population is totally misleading

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

At least it shows we're taking our carbon neutral targets seriously, there'll be no **** alive by 2050 at this rate :lol:

And those that are will be free of a bunch of knobs👍

So I'm really confused.  Most people from overseas seem to be a lot less locked down than we've been and think we're all panicking because we've been brainwashed into thinking we have to be locked does.  

Others think the Government have already been criminally negligent and opening up more is madness. 

There is a circle that can't be squared here. 

Then you have countries who have barely locked down seemingly have far better coronavirus outcomes. 

My brain hurts. 

21 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So I'm really confused.  Most people from overseas seem to be a lot less locked down than we've been and think we're all panicking because we've been brainwashed into thinking we have to be locked does.  

Others think the Government have already been criminally negligent and opening up more is madness. 

There is a circle that can't be squared here. 

Then you have countries who have barely locked down seemingly have far better coronavirus outcomes. 

My brain hurts. 

It's because we're comparing or using very unbalanced data.

We test - A LOT so those with a sniffle are being recorded as positive where they wouldn't even be tested elsewhere.

It leads to much clearer data, but also means as Covid19 changes and mutates, we have new sets of data, showing the effect of new strands, which again, other nations aren't.

No two countries are really testing this and reporting figures the same as what we are and that's because it's largely been politicised and govs are reporting what they want, essentially.

That's why a lot of people are rightly looking at hospitals and deaths coming right down saying "right, let's get going then! Normality is upon us!"  But another section is rightly saying "woah, the new strands ripping through us way faster!  This isn't the time to open the place up!"

The facts are, we still know little about it, especially the long term effects on humans, but by the same token hospitalisations are coming down so if we don't have a bit of faith now, when will we?

There's so many factors in the spread of this and we're not doing a good job of communicating whatever message is being put out, which apparently is "no social distancing now" 

• Like 1

Tokyo Olympics off to a great start with Covid cases already in the Olympic village, a athlete from Uganda who's defected and gone missing, the city under pretty harsh restriction and even thou there will be no fans at the games almost 80.000 people are going to show up to compete, or assist the athletes.

Games still a week away...

9 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

You won't have a car. You won't go on holiday. You will own nothing and you will be happy, 

Looks like it's unvaccinated 30+s in the ICU COVID wards. There's a huge amount of young people vaccine resistance because they've been told over and over that it's an old person disease. I think the gov / news channels need to start filming these unvaccinated 35 year olds on ventilators and broadcasting it out to arrest that narrative.

Â