Generic Virus Thread

villakram

I don't want to predict anything because I normally end up with egg on my face but the current wave of infections are surely being driven by schools? Kids took masks off in poorly ventilated rooms and started passing it around. A large proportion of adults are vaccinated and even a single jab reduces the infection risk quite a bit. So we've got superspreader kids unvaccinated passing it round. And they all are either already isolating because of a bubble ping or about to stop going to school.

Once this vector is out of the way, I can't see where it gets spread? Inside pubs maybe without masks. But people will be outdoors in the summer when illnesses naturally go away because of being in open air and kids not being at school. Like I say, I'm not predicting anything, I just think the school holidays will change a lot.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Once this vector is out of the way, I can't see where it gets spread?

Pubs, nightclubs, public transport, workplaces, shops, cafes, flights, restaurants, gyms, cinemas, tourist attractions. 

• Like 2

As it stands it’s estimated over 1% of people in England have coronavirus.

Covid infections have risen again in much of the UK, say experts from the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

Latest data from swab tests in the community suggests in England, where Covid rules are due to be dropped, one in every 95 people has the virus. 

That is up from one in every 160 in the previous week.

BBC

Dropping restrictions on Monday is madness.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Cases can keep going up, but if the vaccine works as it says then hospitalisations and deaths should still remain minimal - which is key. As long as they remain low I don't think we'll be heading back into another lockdown.

Every infection is a potential mutation.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Frankly I think if Chris Whitty fundamentally disagrees with government policy he should say so, and be prepared to resign over it, because it's hardly sustainable for him to be the face of a policy he completely disagrees with, and it's adding a lot of confusion to the situation.

I'm in two minds about this. It's easy to say he should have the courage of his convictions, resign and say what he really thinks, but I'd be in no doubts that Boris would have a yes-man installed in his place. Would he do as much good resigning and publicly condemning the policy as he could trying to steer things in a more sign direction from within? Who knows.

I can see the mask thing on Monday turning into another culture war. Plenty of pubs and shops saying our staff will continue to wear masks, and we ask customers to as well but won't enforce it. What a farce.

I'll feel genuinely uncomfortable going in anywhere because I'll be uncomfortable wearing a mask if no-one else if and uncomfortable not wearing a mask if others are. 

But if businesses are going to be independently making policy of wearing masks based on the science, perhaps they shouldn't be doing the same by putting pointless hand sanitiser everywhere and asking people to use it?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I can see the mask thing on Monday turning into another culture war. Plenty of pubs and shops saying our staff will continue to wear masks, and we ask customers to as well but won't enforce it. What a farce.

I'll feel genuinely uncomfortable going in anywhere because I'll be uncomfortable wearing a mask if no-one else if and uncomfortable not wearing a mask if others are. 

But if businesses are going to be independently making policy of wearing masks based on the science, perhaps they shouldn't be doing the same by putting pointless hand sanitiser everywhere and asking people to use it?

It’s so weird seeing you guys in a panic about it all. 

Here in Sweden no one wears a mask anymore and hasn’t for a while now. No check ins at stores. No social distancing anymore etc etc

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Here in Sweden no one wears a mask anymore and hasn’t for a while now. No check ins at stores. No social distancing anymore etc etc

Do people demonstrate common sense? As I have a man with a flare up his arse telling me that we are incapable of demonstrating common sense. 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

But weren't swedes looking to relax the social distancing rules as they could go back to normal and stand further away from people? :trollface:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, bickster said:

But weren't swedes looking to relax the social distancing rules as they could go back to normal and stand further away from people? :trollface:

😁

They don’t do the hug greeting anymore that they normally would and I think a lot of them are secretly happy about it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Pretty much similar here. Still a few masks about but it feels back to normal. And the world didn't end.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

😁

They don’t do the hug greeting anymore that they normally would and I think a lot of them are secretly happy about it. 

It's not much of a secret :)

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm in two minds about this. It's easy to say he should have the courage of his convictions, resign and say what he really thinks, but I'd be in no doubts that Boris would have a yes-man installed in his place. Would he do as much good resigning and publicly condemning the policy as he could trying to steer things in a more sign direction from within? Who knows.

I think this is a thing powerful people tell themselves to justify not resigning in situations like this to be honest. We're talking about the UK government, I'm sure they can find another intelligent scientist in a suit to plausibly explain the science to voters; the value of a public resignation and the potential for it to change course is much greater.

20 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

😁

I've loved not having the awkward kiss/hug do I/don't I leaving thing. All of that awkwardness forced away. Brilliant.

1 hour ago, limpid said:

Every infection is a potential mutation.

...and in a country where only 50% have two doses but 75%ish have one, you are effectively breeding virus resistant strains up there in the UK now with this mad Boris experiment of just giving up and letting it run wild.

He's no longer a danger just to the UK, he's a danger to the world.

• Like 2

Â