Generic Virus Thread

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

And what happens if people resist then just stay at home or in the case of going abroad people just stay in uk? Airlines lose more money and then the industry goes under.

I don't think this will be a concern in the way you'd expect - if say 20% of people are restricted from travel or from pubs or restaurants, there will still be such a swell of people desperate to get back out and enjoy the world and mix that the numbers on those business's are still going to go up.

I think we're about to get an absolute boom in the hospitality and travel industries, and even if twenty percent of people were to not get involved, I think the other 80% will be doubling their output. People are desperate to eat, drink, travel and mix - it's going to be an incredible couple of years.

30 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

And what happens if people resist then just stay at home or in the case of going abroad people just stay in uk? Airlines lose more money and then the industry goes under.

Same with foreign countries.  Lets take Cyprus for example, they rely heavily on tourism to make money. If they get 50% of what they usually do they are scrwed and will go into a massive recession.

I think they will try to do some some kind of covid passport, it will be a epic failure then they will say its all ok after a few years and you dont need it anymore.  Another waste of money and time

I think today they are announcing the traffic light system for foreign travel.  Its going to me more dependent on where you are travelling from than if you're vaccinated with different requirements depending on that. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

For me, it's not so much about a data issue, Matt Hancock is handing that data out like sweets already, direct from the source - having to have my vaccine status on my phone is far less worrying to me than the deal he did to give Alexa full access to my health records (for free, he's not even making the country any money off it). The problem i have with passports is just a matter of practicality, it's a rubbish solution to a problem that shortly won't exist.

Yes, that's exactly my view too.

There's an app on my phone connected to my NHS records, via my NHS number and so on, which has the capability to show me my Vaccination status from my medical records. It's as secure, or more so, that the actual paper record locked in a cupboard in the surgery up the road - anyone who broke into that cupboard, or who has access to the keys for the cupboard, or who can log on to or hack into the Windows XP computer they keep the records on can see them.

If it's necessary for me to go on international travel, that's fine, whether for work or holiday.

Hancock giving my data to Amazon, or anyone else, without my consent is definitely not OK. I'd tolerate it if a venue or wherever wanted me to show my status in order to enter their premises during a pandemic, but more likely I'd decide not to go to that venue. If my place of employment decided that to access the location I needed to show the status, I'd be inclined to tell them where to go.

I've already posted about the practicalities of it and the ease of spoofing it, the likelihood that 20 year old bar staff, or poorly paid doormen, or whoever will really be thorough in verifying status, or why venues need to gather data about who's on their premises and what they then do with it and so on.

the notion that "you can go to a place you're desperate to return to after a year of not being able to go there, and everyone in there will be covid safe" is a nice one, I can see the appeal and why it seems to have support - but "you can have a nice thing again", isn't the same as "you've actually got the nice thing again". You won't have it, and you'll have lost something, permanently.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, sidcow said:

To be fair those kinds of people are starting to get marginalised in all sorts of areas lately.  Going to see The Foo Fighters might be the least of their difficulties with modern life. 

Don't diss my Nokia 3310, with clip on Foo Fighters cover! 

• Haha 2
44 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think this will be a concern in the way you'd expect - if say 20% of people are restricted from travel or from pubs or restaurants, there will still be such a swell of people desperate to get back out and enjoy the world and mix that the numbers on those business's are still going to go up.

I think we're about to get an absolute boom in the hospitality and travel industries, and even if twenty percent of people were to not get involved, I think the other 80% will be doubling their output. People are desperate to eat, drink, travel and mix - it's going to be an incredible couple of years.

In theory we all want this but a few issues. A money.  If your a family of 5 now and you been on furlough how you going to afford it espically since prices seem to have exploded through the room.

The other big issue is the physiological aspect this has on people. I think there will still be people scared to travel. 

It all depends on a number of factors really. I was reading in spain that they will expect people to wear a mask on the beach and the sea! I mean i wouldnt bother going away on holiday with restrictions like that of countries adopted that

• VT Supporter
10 minutes ago, ismail-villa said:

Anyone know if car washes can open on the 12th as well? 

I don’t know for certain but assume it falls under non essential retail (so yes).

• VT Supporter
1 hour ago, limpid said:

If you have the NHS app on your phone (not the NHS Covid19 app), it already shows your vaccination status.

View health record, medicines, acute.

Anyone want to borrow my NHS id to get into the pub? This is going to be another laughable exercise in government IT.

0021-CF7-D-B7-CE-4853-81-F2-5-DA0532450-

4 hours ago, Genie said:

I don’t know who he is but I do know his name, job, home city, age, date of birth, favourite football team etc.

Except you don't know any of that simply because of what he (or any other individual) may post/write on VT- you know what people have posted and that's it.

If a vaccine passport is the same as what anyone, anonymously, can claim on the internet then have away at it.

I'm 'Bob Sodoff' and I'm fully vaccinated. :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Genie said:

Getting all upset and righteous about this particular bit of information being voluntarily shared again is silly.

Happily giving away other people's liberties, privacies and rights simply because you are not interested in them and have managed to convince yourself that you're okay with it is beyond silly - it's downright grim.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, limpid said:

If you have the NHS app on your phone (not the NHS Covid19 app), it already shows your vaccination status.

View health record, medicines, acute.

Anyone want to borrow my NHS id to get into the pub? This is going to be another laughable exercise in government IT.

Just checked mine and it shows nothing at all

16 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Just checked mine and it shows nothing at all

They’ve not enabled the COVID vaccine status yet for most people, Other vaccinations are enabled, but require your surgery to enable / permit the COVID data at their end. I’m in the same situation.

• Thanks 1
  • Administrator
Just now, blandy said:

They’ve not enabled the COVID vaccine status yet for most people, Other vaccinations are enabled, but require your surgery to enable / permit the COVID data at their end. I’m in the same situation.

That makes sense. Mine was done by my surgery.

6 minutes ago, limpid said:

That makes sense. Mine was done by my surgery.

Just checked on the app and mine’s now showing, so I guess the may take a little while to process it, with so many people being jagged every day

• Like 1

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â