Generic Virus Thread

villakram

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Which one?

I’ve seen dozens of posts about shops being rammed today. Apparently people had to queue to get out of ASDA. Kingsbury water park was turning people away as it was packed. 50+ people queuing outside the Range.

Why do people care?

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Why do people care about other people not obeying the stay at home orders during a pandemic? Is that what you meant?

Why do people care about nonsense is what I meant.

That you appear to care about these 'orders' rather underlines my point, yes. :mrgreen:

11 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I am suggesting that both better communication, and in some cases better enforcement - less time shouting at people in parks, more time checking places where people are sharing rooms for hours - would have improved health outcomes. Less a question of fewer rules, more a question of them being better targeted and accompanied by more accurate information, so that in edge cases where something may not necessarily be against the rules, but may nevertheless be a bad idea, people can make a more informed decision.

I don’t think we’re disagreeing, better communication is always a good thing. But replacing rules on social mixing with communication and common sense will only go 1 way. 
Across the entire world you can see that people will operate up to, and beyond whatever the rules are. Take away the rules and it’ll be free for all. 

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

I guess teachers tend to stand, fairly distant at the front of the class for most of the time.

No.

Not that I’m too worried, personally, but this isn’t correct. Not in a Norwegian classroom, anyway, but I would hope it isn’t the case in an English one either. 

• Like 2

Germany and France 'WILL give AstraZeneca jab to over-65s' in major U-turn aimed at speeding up shambolic vaccine drive

Germany and France look set to approve the AstraZeneca Covid jab for the over 65s in a major U-turn aimed at speeding up their stuttering vaccine drives.

In an ignominious climb-down, health chiefs in both countries have now suggested they could update their policies for the Oxford University researched jab - after initially refusing to give it to those over 65

Officials in Germany previously raised doubts about the vaccine's effectiveness amid reports - rubbished by AstraZeneca - that the vaccine was just 8 per cent effective at protecting those in older age groups.

France's Emmanuel Macron even went as far as to claim the jab was 'quasi-ineffective' at protecting the elderly. 

But with new data showing the AstraZeneca jab is effective in protecting the elderly,  and with vaccine rollouts in France and Germany lagging behind Britain's, both countries now look set to U-turn. 

Link

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Genie said:

Germany and France 'WILL give AstraZeneca jab to over-65s' in major U-turn aimed at speeding up shambolic vaccine drive

Link

Problem is they've blown it now as lot's of their population will refuse to take it because of the scaremongering THEY started. 

They've apparently got millions of doses in storage because young people won't take it, so persuading the over 65's is going to be more difficult. 

I wonder how many people will have died over this nonsense. 

• Like 1

This was entirely predictable when Macron and Merkle went public with their poorly backed opinions 

A senior German immunologist has urged his country to change its mind and start allowing over-65s to receive the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine.

In a BBC interview, Carsten Watzl, head of the German Society for Immunology, predicted regulators would have to reverse their decision to not recommend the jab for older people.

He urged Angela Merkel to have the vaccine live on TV to prove it is safe.

Germany's vaccine commission is currently reviewing its recommendation.

Prof Watzl's call comes after recent studies in Scotland showed the AstraZeneca jab to be effective among the elderly.

Germany is one of several EU states that have expressed doubts over the efficacy of the vaccine in older people.

The country is currently struggling to avoid a third wave of infections as cases remain stubbornly high.

Covid jab impact on serious illness 'spectacular'

France restricts AstraZeneca vaccine to under-65s

High Covid rates delay France and Germany easing

The EU's medical regulator approved the use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine for all age groups in January.

But the rollout was met by some public scepticism after regulators in countries including France, Germany and Italy recommended that it should not be used for people over 65. They citied insufficient data on its efficacy for older people.

German health authorities have so far used fewer than 300,000 of the 1.17 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine the country has received.

In January, French President Emmanuel Macron said the jab was "quasi-ineffective" for older age groups - a claim strongly refuted by the UK government and British medical regulators. AstraZeneca itself says the vaccine is effective at all ages.

It’s a political mess, how do they convince the public it’s actually safe and they made a mistake?

BBC

8 hours ago, Genie said:

This was entirely predictable when Macron and Merkle went public with their poorly backed opinions 

It’s a political mess, how do they convince the public it’s actually safe and they made a mistake?

BBC

As you say, the authorities in France, Germany and Belgium effectively ran a disinformation campaign against the AstraZeneca vaccine to try and cover for the failure of the EU procurement strategy. They can’t expect a reverse ferret now to be believed. 

What might change minds is the spread of the Kent variant that did so much damage over here. It’s already present in three large clusters in France and we saw how quickly it spread out from the South East across the rest of UK, even during a lock down. 

I hope that doesn’t happen in Europe, but it might rapidly change opinions towards getting vaccinated. 

Â