Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Introducing vaccine passports is dumb for all the reasons already discussed but also because it will open up a black-market for trading, which is a problem because it’s another avenue of illegal money earning but also it means there’ll be a bunch of people using fake passports and possibly continuing to spread the virus.

It's important to discriminate ( :) ) correctly. Vaccine passports [Travel authorisation Documents, or stamps or whatever] seem to me highly likely, if not certain, to be necessary to permit international travel. Nations will use these to allow or disallow visitors to their shores and borders - "we need to see proof of vaccine and neg test before you can come in (or even get on the transport - plane/ship/train etc.)". They're (IMO) the opposite of dumb - they're a smart way to allow countries to open up their tourist and hospitality etc industries.

Vaccine certificates, or "passes" for use within a nation are a different matter. I suspect that they will come in to an extent, because some businesses may demand  some sort of evidence of status before they let people into their venue or premises or whatever. It may (as people have said) create resentment or pushback, but I think they'll happen on a local or business level. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, blandy said:

It's important to discriminate ( :) ) correctly. Vaccine passports [Travel authorisation Documents, or stamps or whatever] seem to me highly likely, if not certain, to be necessary to permit international travel. Nations will use these to allow or disallow visitors to their shores and borders - "we need to see proof of vaccine and neg test before you can come in (or even get on the transport - plane/ship/train etc.)". They're (IMO) the opposite of dumb - they're a smart way to allow countries to open up their tourist and hospitality etc industries.

Vaccine certificates, or "passes" for use within a nation are a different matter. I suspect that they will come in to an extent, because some businesses may demand  some sort of evidence of status before they let people into their venue or premises or whatever. It may (as people have said) create resentment or pushback, but I think they'll happen on a local or business level. 

I think the frustration comes from restricting people based on something totally out of their control. If the requirement also allows for proof of a negative test, I'll be less pissed off by it.

The tweet I posted on the previous page sums up my thoughts on it.

I’m pretty sure yesterday Boris talked about passport / certification as something being discussed (ie not agreed) for foreign travel and also said it would be alongside  rapid testing.

He even mentioned the discriminatory aspect to the passports/certificates when he mentioned rapid tests as part of the solution to that.

Its sounds fairly sensible to me.

If you want to go in and out of the country you can, as long as you’ve either had the vaccine or hold a negative test.

I’m sure this is what we’ll want from foreigners wanting to come here later in the year.

California’s coronavirus strain looks increasingly dangerous: ‘The devil is already here’

A coronavirus variant that probably emerged in May and surged to become the dominant strain in California not only spreads more readily than its predecessors but also evades antibodies generated by COVID-19 vaccines or prior infection and is associated with severe illness and death, researchers said.

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2021-02-23/california-homegrown-coronavirus-strain-looks-increasingly-transmissible-and-dangerous

Obviously people arriving from San Fran into the UK can pretty much stroll straight out of the airport. They just need to fill out a form and promise they’ll go straight to the place they’re staying to quarantine. 

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

3 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2021-02-23/california-homegrown-coronavirus-strain-looks-increasingly-transmissible-and-dangerous

Obviously people arriving from San Fran into the UK can pretty much stroll straight out of the airport. They just need to fill out a form and promise they’ll go straight to the place they’re staying to quarantine. 

That article seems like alarmist nonsense, and the language choices ('the devil is already here', really???) are the opposite of appropriate public health messaging.

Basic common sense suggests that if California's variant 'emerged in May' then it hasn't taken 'market share' from other variants, otherwise it would be the dominant strain nationwide if not globally given how long ago that was. As far as I can see, admittedly without expert knowledge, California's death rate is rapidly declining and this does not seem a concern.

• Like 1

Sounds like full stadia is going to happen.

Mid August is going to be special at VP. I hope they don't open the stadium for a % of fans for the last game. Full or bust.

Edited by villarule123
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Sounds like full stadia is going to happen.

Mid August is going to be special at VP. I hope they don't open the stadium for a % of fans for the last game. Full or bust.

If they miss it they should set up a really sexy summer friendly with a really top European side. We’ll probably lose but still be fun :D 

• Like 1

Drop off in vaccinations is due to supply fluctuations according to Vanny Tammy. 

The cynic in me thinks we've given up some for Europe to ease the political bomb. 

He's said manufacturing vaccines is basically the same as brewing beer 🍻🍻

Edited by sidcow

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Mate of mine had his yesterday as his little girl is very sick in Birmingham Children’s Hospital. It’s really good that they are doing parents of sick children. 

Apparently one of my clients has been bumped up because of her husbands medical conditions.  It seems there is some flexibility/common sense in the system. 

• Like 1

Â