Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Called into a local small co-op earlier to get some cash out, all fully stocked including toilet roll.

Later in the afternoon into a local Spar as my boy wanted a magazine, again everything in stock. 
Why are people wrestling in the big supermarkets? Just go to your local shop.

• Like 1

Just now, Genie said:

Called into a local small co-op earlier to get some cash out, all fully stocked including toilet roll.

Later in the afternoon into a local Spar as my boy wanted a magazine, again everything in stock. 

Tbh we went to Waitrose and M&S today, it was slightly busier than usual (which could also be due to no football) and we managed to get everything we wanted except anti-bacterial wipes (the missus always buys them), we'll survive on Kitchen roll though if needs be.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Human nature innit. People **** love a drama even if they have to go out and cause it themselves.

Every Christmas there will be a fake shortage of something so people can go on a hunter gatherer quest and then stick on facebook how they went all the way to Kettering but managed to get the last sprout or white toblerone.

I’m amazed people haven’t been queuing for petrol.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m amazed people haven’t been queuing for petrol.

Me too, it crossed my mind yesterday as I filled up. We’re only a couple of fake shared Facebook posts away from fuel panic.

Obama's Medicare boss issues dire warning as doctors say as many as 500,000 are already infected

America's hospitals will be overrun with coronavirus patients in just eight days and face months of strain.

As of Saturday morning, there were more than confirmed 2,200 cases of COVID-19 in the US and 50 people had died from it but doctors are warning there are more like 500,000 already infected and that we just do not know it yer because so few people have been tested. 

Daily Mail 

52 minutes ago, Awol said:

Would love to know how you pulled that off. Got my Mum (early 70’s with COPD) squared away easily enough several weeks ago. Problem is she lives with my sister, a pub landlady just coming out of a 5 yr battle with leukaemia and determined to push through the outbreak like it’s not happening. 

Pointed out the logical flaw in this plan which caused a massive row, now I’m the bad guy - because feelings. 

They’re driving me up the wall, my sister flat out refuses to see reason and she could kill them both through pure pig-headedness. 

I sympathise, genuinely. It’s not been easy, even just from the point of view of knowing that to convince some I had to actually end up exposing them to stuff they’d rather not hear. 

Wierdly the wife was one of the hardest, I think because she’s so concerned about me and her mom she had gone down the denial route. 

Got there in the end with all of them, though one daughter ( with three kids) is still borderline in her concerns, she is doing all we have asked.

Having done it, they’ve thanked me for it, now I want to forget it !

I experienced a few rows too....hopefully as mine did yours will see you mean well. Then, sometime later, they will see you were right with their own eyes..good luck.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Kingman said:

Obama's Medicare boss issues dire warning as doctors say as many as 500,000 are already infected

America's hospitals will be overrun with coronavirus patients in just eight days and face months of strain.

As of Saturday morning, there were more than confirmed 2,200 cases of COVID-19 in the US and 50 people had died from it but doctors are warning there are more like 500,000 already infected and that we just do not know it yer because so few people have been tested. 

Daily Mail 

I guess it could apply everywhere. With the advice to people with the symptoms to not visit your doctor, stay home and ride it out the numbers of infected will almost certainly be several times higher than the confirmed numbers. 

31 minutes ago, bickster said:

Well being as there's already been a case amongst the staff a week or so ago....

A night shift worker. They only closed in compliance with the government laws.

4 minutes ago, MCU said:

They only closed in compliance with the government laws.

France has gone a step further now, they've closed bars, restaurants and cinemas (Just announced)

Also I'm not sure what other Universities are doing but University of Liverpool has just said they've cancelled all face to face teaching for the remainder of the Academic Year. All lectures, tutorials etc going online

• Like 1

We are yet to find out if the government tactic works for the better. Personally, I think the tactic will quickly change and it's the wrong one to start with.

However, the way people are behaving in shops, streets, petrol stations is more than embarrassing. Old people roaming the streets, sitting in pubs, not wearing plastic gloves at petrol stations, not washing their hands, people stuffing their faces with McDonalds and Costas. And I mainly blame the British media.

Thousands of people dying, morgues are full, Italy in a crisis that we should be getting ready for, and BBC news at 3pm yesterday talked about nothing but the Premier League being cancelled.

It's not even pathetic, it's stupid to the point of being deadly.

What is wrong with our Island?

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Awol said:

Simply explainer vid of the UK strategy. Short and clear. 

That’s an excellent way of putting it.

I’m  also reading between the lines that it’s also down to how good our NHS is. Obviously the message Boris is getting is that they are coping and that there is still headroom. 

Edited by Genie

I'm in Cadiz, southern Spain at the moment. Well travelled. Quite a strange and apprehensive atmosphere here. Streets deserted, few bars open earlier and now all closed. Beautiful city to wander the empty streets (great photography place) we have been to supermarket to get enough food and vinos to get us through until our flight back on Monday. Lockdown here starts imminently but assume and hope we can fly back to home. We wear masks on flight, and my hands have never been so clean. Take care brothers.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Tbh we went to Waitrose and M&S today, it was slightly busier than usual (which could also be due to no football) and we managed to get everything we wanted except anti-bacterial wipes (the missus always buys them), we'll survive on Kitchen roll though if needs be.

Mr Fancy GIF - Mr Fancy Pants GIFs

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

For all those concerned about elderly family and friends, Help could be on the way in few weeks!

Elderly could be quarantined for four months in 'wartime-style' mobilisation to combat coronavirus, writes Robert Peston

People over 70 will be instructed by the government to stay in strict isolation at home or in care homes for four months.
People over 70 will be instructed by the government to stay in strict isolation at home or in care homes for four months. Credit: PA

People over 70 will be instructed by the government to stay in strict isolation at home or in care homes for four months, under a "wartime-style" mobilisation effort by the government likely to be enforced within the next 20 days.

It is part of a series of measures being prepared by the prime minister, health secretary, chief medical officer and chief scientific adviser to prevent the health service from "falling over" and to save lives as Covid-19 becomes an epidemic in the UK.

Other measures already being planned include:

• the forced requisitioning of hotels and other buildings as temporary hospitals;
  • the requisitioning of private hospitals as emergency hospitals;
  • temporary closure of pubs, bars and restaurants - some time after next weekend's ban on mass gatherings;
  • emergency manufacture by several companies of respirators that would be necessary to keep alive those who become acutely ill;
  • the closure of schools for perhaps a few weeks, but with skeleton staff kept on to provide childcare for key workers in the NHS and police.

According to a senior government source, the perception that ministers are reluctant to make difficult and costly decisions to battle the virus is wrong. It is simply that the chief medical officer Chris Whitty and the chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick Vallance are waiting for the optimal time to force restrictions on our way of life that will be very painful.

They are deeply worried that some older people will simply die at home from neglect, after they are quarantined, so want to start the quarantine as late as possible - some time within the next five to 20 days.

The prime minister Boris Johnson and health secretary Matt Hancock are counting on neighbours and friends to rally round to make sure no one is neglected. "We are looking for a huge community effort," said a source. 

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-14/elderly-to-be-quarantined-for-four-months-in-wartime-style-mobilisation-to-combat-coronavirus/

• Like 1

Â